Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: $4K Trail Bike

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    Except the XT build inexplicably comes with an SLX shifter...most people seem like they would prefer it the other way around.
    Been backwards like this since I've been into bikes starting mid-90s. Higher end shifter almost always higher performance impact than derailleur, but isn't nearly as visible on showroom floor was the logic I always heard.

I'm so overwhelmed with choosing a bike, deciding whether spending 3500 or 4500 or 5500 is worth it, whether this part or that part matters. Fuck it is complicated!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm so overwhelmed with choosing a bike, deciding whether spending 3500 or 4500 or 5500 is worth it, whether this part or that part matters. Fuck it is complicated!
    Lean on a local shop like Dirt Merchant for some help.

For what it's worth Danno, I regularly ride a '20 S-works Stumpjumper w/ Fox Factory Suspension, Eagle, other top end parts almost as much as I ride my Deore brake/SLX drivetrain Fox Rhythm hardtail.

Weight is certainly different between them, but they're both still super fun. Take-away modern bikes are fun, buy what you're comfortable with in those price ranges and don't sweat that you're massively missing something between the different specs.

Given that you only buy a new bike every two decades I'd really recommend demoing some bikes to figure out what you like and don't like in terms of geometry and parts.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Given that you only buy a new bike every two decades I'd really recommend demoing some bikes to figure out what you like and don't like in terms of geometry and parts.
    I think we might be looking at this wrong. If he is going to only buy a new bike every two decades, he should have a 4 bike budget. Stop thinking about it and just order the new SC Megatower X01 AXS RSV Coil build. It will only cost you $50 a month spread out over two decades.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

the current geometry, the leaning out over that front wheel/ elbows out might take some getting used to for some people who havent upgraded in decades

i had never paid > 2500 $ for a bike, then it was 5600, then it was 11,500

its like the frog sitting in the pot of water as the heat gets turned up, its slowly being boiled but doesnt move
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

there was a time when I bought a new bike every 3 years. then I had a kid.

demoing is a possibility.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I’ll be in Denver in 10 Days, Danno!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    If you've got extra time and don't mind driving up north of Boulder, let me know and I'll show you around.

Will do, would love to go for a spin!

your bike has too much travel, I'm looking for something a little different.

your bike has too much travel, I'm looking for something a little different.
    See if you can't take his Element for a spin. That bike is right in the ballpark of what you're looking for.

I agree, that would absolutely be the right bike for you.
    That one I’ll let go for $25,000.
    But no tax!

I agree, that would absolutely be the right bike for you.
    That one I’ll let go for $25,000.
    But no tax!
    The element is definitely the second best bike for him. But what he really needs is a spur!

Honestly in the current market - find a bike you like, then find out where you can get it for a price you can stomach.
    I personally shoot for Shimano with SLX or higher. I'm not a suspension fiddler and bad enough that a lot of the high-zoot stuff won't make a difference, so while I notice the difference between my Fox 34 rhythm and some of the well tuned Fox 36's I've ridden in the past, it's maybe a 2-5% loss of experience for me so no matter. At some point I'll upgrade, but it's not a priority.
    Would I be happy with SRAM or other stuff? I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Would I be happy with SRAM or other stuff? I'm sure.
    I had Fox / Shimano on a 5.5, i hoped to get the next bike with the same but it showed up with Rox shox/ Sram, IME one worked pretty much as good as the other so i was happy

$4K Trail Bike

It’s a wash. I lean SRAM because the derailleurs have that little button that locks the cage for easier wheel removal.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by SWskier View Post
    Check out Fezzari. Yeah the name is dumb. I've had my Delano for two weeks. $4600 for XT build with Float X and Fox 36. The comp build still has a pretty good spec with DVO suspension for $3800. I'm on XL so lead time wasn't too bad for my build. If you are needing a Large probably go for the comp to save a little $ and actually get it in a reasonable timeframe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Same here. Silly brand name, but the Delano Peak is a good bike. I've had mine for one season and I really like it. I have the same Fox/XT build. The blue color looks nice but the coral color is hideous, so choose appropriately.
    Except the XT build inexplicably comes with an SLX shifter...most people seem like they would prefer it the other way around.

And they bumped the price on the Comp build again (and dropped the shimano SLX/Deore version)

I would guess their lead times are over-estimates though, especially if you can talk to them and figure out what the bottleneck parts are and get a substitute). I was looking at them back in November and they were talking about 40+ week lead times on bikes that are now promising 2-week lead times.

All frame sizes seem to be in stock, so the fact that some sizes of certain builds have long lead times implies that it is some size-specific part of the build kit that is holding things up. Likely the dropper post or the crank arms as I can't think of what else would change by size. Seems like it should be easy for them to upgrade/downgrade those parts if you really want the bike ASAP.
    So I started looking at the Fezzari Signal Peak TR Comp build, since they seem to have frames in stock. Would be just under $4300 shipped (set up tubeless, with frame protection installed). Would I be better off holding out for a nicer used bike? Toast's Spur for ~$1k more?

I have an aversion to spending many thousands of dollars on a used bike with no warranty, but I realize I need to get over that. That said, evaluating a random used bike -- whether it's in good shape, has good components, is a good deal -- is VERY intimidating when you don't know jack shit. That's certainly part of the appeal of just ordering a DTC bike, because everyone is getting the same price and there's some certainty in it.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I had Fox / Shimano on a 5.5, i hoped to get the next bike with the same but it showed up with Rox shox/ Sram, IME one worked pretty much as good as the other so i was happy
    Yep, have a revelation on the single speed - it's fine. Wife's stuff is SRAM and appears to pedal fine. I just like Shimano brakes stock because mineral oil isn't as nasty as DOT fluid.

So I started looking at the Fezzari Signal Peak TR Comp build, since they seem to have frames in stock. Would be just under $4300 shipped (set up tubeless, with frame protection installed). Would I be better off holding out for a nicer used bike? Toast's Spur for ~$1k more?

I have an aversion to spending many thousands of dollars on a used bike with no warranty, but I realize I need to get over that. That said, evaluating a random used bike -- whether it's in good shape, has good components, is a good deal -- is VERY intimidating when you don't know jack shit. That's certainly part of the appeal of just ordering a DTC bike, because everyone is getting the same price and there's some certainty in it.
    So the Signal Peak and the Spur - despite similar amounts of suspension travel - I suspect are going to feel pretty different on the trail. Signal Peak is more of a traditional XC kind of geometry. You might prefer that, coming from an older bike. Spur is more progressive, designed to be more capable going down. I can see you also liking this style of bike better, knowing that you're not really into setting uphill records. Hence why I think it would be worth a couple hundred bucks for you to demo some stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    It’s a wash. I lean SRAM because the derailleurs have that little button that locks the cage for easier wheel removal.
    Hmmm….if I had a badass CNC and some skillz, I would design a bolt on contraption that did that for Shimano derailluers…bet I could sell a few.

I think it is absurd that they charge $85 to set the bike up tubeless (especially since it saves the the cost of a pair of tubes and shouldn't really take any longer in a shop setting). On the other hand, a fully installed full frame protection kit for $65 is a good deal--there are places that might charge you $100 just for the labor on installing Ridewrap.

That's somewhere my Intense 951 was experience was a pleasant surprise. Not only was it $3250 shipped for a bike that should cost more...but in the box they included:
    -Torque wrench and full set of bits.
    -Decent 3-way Allen wrench (not the loose cheapies you sometimes get)
    -Shock pump
    -Tubeless valves and sealant (wheels came with tubes in place)
    -Bottle and bottle cage.
    -Some cheapo flat pedals that will come in handy next time I have a bike to sell.

I think it is absurd that they charge $85 to set the bike up tubeless (especially since it saves the the cost of a pair of tubes and shouldn't really take any longer in a shop setting). On the other hand, a fully installed full frame protection kit for $65 is a good deal--there are places that might charge you $100 just for the labor on installing Ridewrap.

That's somewhere my Intense 951 was experience was a pleasant surprise. Not only was it $3250 shipped for a bike that should cost more...but in the box they included:
    -Torque wrench and full set of bits.
    -Decent 3-way Allen wrench (not the loose cheapies you sometimes get)
    -Shock pump
    -Tubeless valves and sealant (wheels came with tubes in place)
    -Bottle and bottle cage.
    -Some cheapo flat pedals that will come in handy next time I have a bike to sell.
    its shop time ^^ to set up tubeless so is anything else they can hit your for cuz the margins on the high end bikes are low, also them fancy dentist bikes don't come put together so you gotta pay the mechanic, there is more money / possibly less sole in selling Giants
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-20-2022 at 09:30 PM.

knowing that you're not really into setting uphill records.
    what are you trying to say there?

So the Signal Peak and the Spur - despite similar amounts of suspension travel - I suspect are going to feel pretty different on the trail. Signal Peak is more of a traditional XC kind of geometry. You might prefer that, coming from an older bike. Spur is more progressive, designed to be more capable going down.
    A little confused here, because the numbers look pretty close to me. Are you sure you looked at the Signal Peak TR (the 120 travel version) and not the 100 travel version? I'll admit to not knowing much more than head tube angle, which is admittedly 66 to 67, but 67 is in line with other bikes of this class (eg Revel Ranger is 67.5) and the other numbers all seem fairly similar. But maybe those few mm make a big difference. And you're no doubt right with this

Hence why I think it would be worth a couple hundred bucks for you to demo some stuff.
    except with current bike availability, finding bikes to demo isn't easy, and it's possible you could demo a bike, want to buy it, and not be able to find it to purchase. Still, I will consider demoing if I can find something somewhere I want to demo.