Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: $4K Trail Bike

This sort of fits here... We're going to go check out a used (but supposedly like new) Salsa Horsethief this evening, for Mrs C. This bike:
    https://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/20...ief_carbon_slx

What do you think is a fair price, assuming Mrs C likes it? Listed for $3900, but used = no warranty, no matter how "like new" it is. MSRP is $4800. REI carries it, but is currently out of stock - when in stock, it'll be $4800 - 15% (dividend + MasterCard) = $4080, before sales tax (which can be avoided by delivery to REI Oregon).

Geometry isn't as modern as many bikes, but she's currently riding an original Ripley, so it would still be a big update for her. And she's not aggressive at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I would expect a $3900 price tag if it's a shop trying to dump excess inventory... not a bike that's for sale by a private 3rd party.

I'm not sure I'd pay more than $3000'ish for that bike if it's used. Maybe $3200 if you're desperate to get a bike this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    This sort of fits here... We're going to go check out a used (but supposedly like new) Salsa Horsethief this evening, for Mrs C. This bike:
    https://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/20...ief_carbon_slx

What do you think is a fair price, assuming Mrs C likes it? Listed for $3900, but used = no warranty, no matter how "like new" it is. MSRP is $4800. REI carries it, but is currently out of stock - when in stock, it'll be $4800 - 15% (dividend + MasterCard) = $4080, before sales tax (which can be avoided by delivery to REI Oregon).

Geometry isn't as modern as many bikes, but she's currently riding an original Ripley, so it would still be a big update for her. And she's not aggressive at all.
    The geo is outdated, but it still has stupid superboost wheel spacing.

Agreed with smmokan - $3k-ish. But really, I'd just hold out for something better.

Thanks guys. Pics of it do look like new, and at least I'll get Mrs C on a test ride. I appreciate the input on pricing.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Test ride completed. Mrs C said she couldn't tell the difference between it and her old Ripley... which isn't a good sign. Told the seller we'd be interested in the low $3K range, but he wanted to wait and see what he could get - totally don't fault him in this market.

Waiting for the Izzo to come back in stock.

Can’t remember if it was in this thread asking… but I got my new Propain Hugene frame yesterday. I started building it up yesterday, and should be able to get it out for a first ride later this week.

I’m building it up with Fox Factory suspension (34 Grip 2 front, Float rear), X01 drivetrain, I-9 Enduro 305 wheels, and a BikeYoke Revive 160 dropper.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Can’t remember if it was in this thread asking… but I got my new Propain Hugene frame yesterday. I started building it up yesterday, and should be able to get it out for a first ride later this week.

I’m building it up with Fox Factory suspension (34 Grip 2 front, Float rear), X01 drivetrain, I-9 Enduro 305 wheels, and a BikeYoke Revive 160 dropper.
    Got mine a couple days ago. 2 ride review: I'm psyched on it. Climbs really nicely - very efficient, but still *just* squishy enough to maintain great traction over rocks and roots. It's not an enduro sled on the descents, but it holds its own. Pops really well, and stays reasonably composed through chunder.

Does Propain sell frame only? I looked late last year and couldn’t find the option to buy just the frame. The Hugene was on my short list.

Quote Originally Posted by g_man80 View Post
    Does Propain sell frame only? I looked late last year and couldn’t find the option to buy just the frame. The Hugene was on my short list.
    Not right now... my understanding is they're hoping to make it an option later this summer.

Full build, or did you build up a frame?
    Full build. The "High end" so Factory 36 / Float X, X01, MT7 brakes, Newman wheels.

Psyched to hear more about Hugene as you both get more saddle time on them.
    Anxiously waiting on a mid level performance build which I have on pre-order. Felt like quite a risky proposition with so few of them out there and limited independent reviews.

Got my Hugene out for the first ride last night... I'm impressed. I did a pretty rowdy 13 mi/3000' ride with a little bit of everything, and the Hugene held its own for sure- never felt undergunned, even on really technical terrain. The only thing holding me back were the tires, but I expected that- faster rolling Nobby Nics with the Speedgrip compound (don't judge). Otherwise, it climbs great and descends very similarly to my GG Trail Pistol. I could definitely see building this up a little burlier and have it be a do-it-all bike at 150/140, but for me it'll be a trail bike to compliment my GG Gnarvana.

I've got a custom build with a Fox Factory 34, Factory Float, X01 drivetrain, I-9 Enduro 305 wheels and a BikeYoke 160 dropper, and it comes in at 28 lbs with Issi pedals.

^^ how does it pedal?
    You’ve ridden a lot of bikes - what would you compare it with?
    Not looking for xc efficiency but hoping it’s pretty good to fill that all around all day, tackle anything trail spot

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    ^^ how does it pedal?
    You’ve ridden a lot of bikes - what would you compare it with?
    Not looking for xc efficiency but hoping it’s pretty good to fill that all around all day, tackle anything trail spot
    Really well. The stuff I rode yesterday was pretty technical, and it handled it just fine. It's one of those bikes that's faster than it feels- I was purposely taking it easy on the climbs, and despite that I ended up setting a few PRs on Strava. Definitely not XC efficiency, but I'd put it right up there with the Ripley V4 and Revel Ranger on the climbing front, and more capable than both (IMO) on the descents. It's not one of those bikes that punches above its weight; it feels spot on for a 140mm trail bike.

I think this bike is made for big rides, all-day adventures, etc.
    Last edited by smmokan; 05-06-2022 at 09:02 AM.

……but I'd put it right up there with the Ripley V4 and Revel Ranger on the climbing front, and more capable than both (IMO) on the descents. It's not one of those bikes that punches above its weight; it feels spot on for a 140mm trail bike..
    Thx. How did you know the exact comparison I was hoping for
    Those generally considered “best in class” climbers so thats high praise indeed.

They also happen to be the only two short-travel trail bikes I’ve ridden in the last 4-5 years (discounting the Trail Pistol due to weight).

My only real complaint, and this has been mentioned in a couple reviews, is that the chainstay protection is pretty hard and as a result is quite loud compared to what I’m used to. I may end up getting a VHS protector eventually.

My only real complaint, and this has been mentioned in a couple reviews, is that the chainstay protection is pretty hard and as a result is quite loud compared to what I’m used to. I may end up getting a VHS protector eventually.
    After reading some reviews, I was expecting the chain to be louder. Drivetrain clatter seems average-ish to me. My chainstay protector did come with little soft rubber pads on top of the harder plastic thing, but one of those rubber pads has already come off. We'll see if that becomes an ongoing source of annoyance.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    After reading some reviews, I was expecting the chain to be louder. Drivetrain clatter seems average-ish to me. My chainstay protector did come with little soft rubber pads on top of the harder plastic thing, but one of those rubber pads has already come off. We'll see if that becomes an ongoing source of annoyance.
    Yeah, it's not over the top annoying... it's just something I notice compared to the other bikes I've ridden recently. The Tyee was the same: I put a VHS protector on that and it definitely helped.

Had the Hugene in the backyard washing it off after a ride, so I decided to take a quick picture. I initially thought the pink I-9's might be too much, but I think they look soooo good. It's a sick looking bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hugene-1.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	272.1 KB 
ID:	415816

Had the Hugene in the backyard washing it off after a ride, so I decided to take a quick picture. I initially thought the pink I-9's might be too much, but I think they look soooo good. It's a sick looking bike.

That IS purdy….

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Twinsies
    Well not exactly but close enough

Name:	Image1652191140.903072.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	230.8 KB 
ID:	415859

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Twinsies
    Well not exactly but close enough
    Triplets.

Edit: the tapatalk uploaded always makes my pictures look shitty(er). Some sort of weird compression.

How many multiples of $4K is one of those Propain builds?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    How many multiples of $4K is one of those Propain builds?
    The base model is $4200, I believe... the X01 "performance" model is $5500, which is a ridiculous deal.