Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: $4K Trail Bike

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    How many multiples of $4K is one of those Propain builds?
    You can get the base build for $4.2k so no multiples (obviously not the build that these cats above have w pretty pink spokes and such).

That looks like a pretty decent buy in today's bike market.

Am looking for something shorter travel for Mrs C -- a 140/150 bike isn't going to make her happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

That Start build at $4k is a hell of a deal especially when you look at a Santa Cruz R build at $5k.

$4K Trail Bike

That looks like a pretty decent buy in today's bike market.

Am looking for something shorter travel for Mrs C -- a 140/150 bike isn't going to make her happy.
    ^^ YT Izzo.
    Last time I looked they were readily available too.

We’ve got a new Izzo and a new Hugene in the house this year at roughly the same price point (1.3x this $4k discussion, but both also have ~$4.2k builds that are good value). *

The Izzo is 3.5 lbs lighter and noticeably faster and snappier. Big part of that is the stock tires but incrementally the whole package adds up too. Caveat - impression based on round the block pavement shakedown, actual trail ride yet to take place.

* Before I get the usual orthondontist shit they’re replacing 12yr old bikes that we rode into the ground.

Am waiting for the Izzo to come back in stock - leaning toward the Core 2 build, because I can upgrade a ton of stuff for the price difference to step up to the 3.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

$4K Trail Bike

^^if they will let you preorder don’t wait on the YT - unlike Propain you can usually place order with small fully refundable deposit to secure place in line and cancel later if you change mind. They’ll get in touch couple of weeks before bike arrives for remaining payment

Core 2 vs Core 3 kind of comes down to how you feel about the NX drivetrain.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    ^^don’t wait on the YT - unlike Propain you can place order with small fully refundable deposit to secure place in line and cancel later if you change mind. They’ll get in touch couple of weeks before bike arrives for remaining payment

Core 2 vs Core 3 kind of comes down to how you feel about the NX drivetrain.
    I didn't see on YT's website how I could order when a bike is out of stock. Will look around more for that.

$4K Trail Bike

I didn't see on YT's website how I could order when a bike is out of stock. Will look around more for that.
    Yeah - sorry, bad intel. just edited my post - seems some sizes/models just say not available now and not available for preorder. Might be something to do with timeline for getting any in country. I preordered mine early winter and got it in feb.

I just emailed YT to ask about more inventory.

$4K Trail Bike

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    How is the Izzo 3.5 lbs lighter? It looks like the $4200 component package on each bike is almost identical, minus the RS Pike/Deluxe vs Fox 34/Float difference which should be close to a wash weight-wise. The only real difference are the tires, which are probably 1.5 lbs heavier on the Propain (don't know which compound Schwalbe tires they spec).

Core 4 izzo vs performance hugene
    Without stripping everything I’m still trying to figure out all the bits that add up to the overall difference and therefore where to “upgrade”but ….

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1652198356.598483.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	415866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1501.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	415867

My scale might not be calibrated or totally accurate but it is consistent and repeatable. (note both size M w/ pedals but no cage or other extras)

Rear wheel alone is 1.3 pounds difference (5.5 vs 6.8 lb)
    Forecaster exo to magic mary/big betty addix super trail is ~ 400grams x2 per manufacturer spec so thats the biggest chunk but cassette (gx vs x01 80g), wheels (newman alloy vs dt swiss carbon 130g x 2), bar (120g) crank (80g), shock (dps vs super deluxe ultimate 200g??). postman vs revive ??? Fox 34 vs pike??? Brakes/saddle.??
    All the little stuff adds up fast.
    Overall the Izzo is pretty close to YT spec while the Hugene is a lot heavier than Propain’s published number. I'm only a moderately obsessed weight weenie - but telling me a bike is 13.1 kg when its actually 14.1kg is not cool.
    Last edited by dcpnz; 05-10-2022 at 10:52 AM.

I just emailed YT to ask about more inventory.
    YT's response, in case anyone is interested:

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out!

The website shows the most updated availability next to each size and sub model. All bikes available for purchase currenlty will be listed as in stock or display the estimated ship date. Any bikes listed as sold out we do not expect to receive more of.

For bikes listed as currenlty not available we will continue to produce that model but will not post any until they are assembled out of our Taiwanese factory.

I would recommend clicking the "Notify Me" button next to the model and size you are interested in. Unfortuantley we do not have further info on dates outside of what is listed on the website.

You will receive an email as soon as the bike are online and available for purchase.

Interesting. My bike is a little different than the Performance spec and weighs just over 28 lbs. Crazy how a few of those items add up so quickly. When I had a Tyee built up, it was 31 lbs with pedals.

Yeah, propain says my bike, as ordered, should be 12.9 kg / 28.44 lbs. Actual weight (without pedals) is a smidge over 30.

I don't particularly care, and I think their published weight is a bit unrealistic for the build. 30 lbs is still entirely reasonable for that bike. But still, they should get their published weights sorted out.

That said, I don't think the comparison to the izzo really means anything. The hugene has more travel, and it's both slacker and longer. Hugene is more in line with the jeffsy, both in terms of how it's built and how it rides.

$4K Trail Bike

^^^ yes valid point re the comparison from a travel/intended use perspective but length/angles (5mm/0.5*) aren’t actually all that much different.

But 30lbs for a 140/150 with an X2 and 36 actually is damn light whereas well over 31lbs for a 140/140 trail bike with super deluxe and pike is not.

I’ll end my thread derailment but I’m a bit chafed about it having just unpacked the thing over the weekend and it feeling like a porker before even pulling out a scale.
    Last edited by dcpnz; 05-10-2022 at 03:15 PM.

Not to keep this off topic, but I’ll try to find frame only weight (or with shock) before buying so I can calculate a reasonably accurate final weight if I know the components I’ll be installing.

Complete builds from the factory make this more difficult. However, it’s reasonable to assume the posted weights are accurate. I total understand being frustrated dropping a lot of money expecting a certain weight, only to have to throw more money at it to get the weight down.
    Last edited by g_man80; 05-10-2022 at 04:04 PM.

Never weighing your bike is the key to happiness in the modern trail bike world.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

One of the best things to happen in the bike industry in recent years is not knowing the weight of anything. Gram counting died about the same time when people accepted Lance was a fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Never weighing your bike is the key to happiness in the modern trail bike world.
    if you go E-bike an enduro bike is 32ish, add to that an EP8 motor is 6lbs, a 630W battery is 8 lbs which adds up to just under 50lbs ish

so weight no longer matters
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Weight matters a bit if you're 64kg, not riding a moped, and care about how long it takes to get to the top of stuff.

It is a shame that they publish weights that are literally just lies. How can they think that's OK?
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Weight matters a bit if you're 64kg, not riding a moped, and care about how long it takes to get to the top of stuff.

It is a shame that they publish weights that are literally just lies. How can they think that's OK?
    I dunno, I am all those things to a T and don't really care about weight on a trail bike but I do agree its a shame to publish weights that are that far off.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

This guy knows...

This is the way

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    This is the way

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    This is the way.

Truth. And if weight is a huge concern. $4k bike isn’t going to be where you find the remedy. Spend double that to save a few pounds.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

How's that old equation go? Weight, strength and price. Pick two