Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: $4K Trail Bike

Kona process 134 another option. Aluminum DL model comes in both wheel sizes

https://www.konaworld.com/process_134_dl_29.cfm

Kind of mostly comes down to what you can find. I'd stop by some shops to see what they have in stock or what they have coming.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    Ibis Ripley AF sounds right up your alley

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/ripley-af
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Ibis-Ripley-AF-SLX-Bike-2022

I ride the longer travel ripmo af and love it. That is also a good option if it interests you.
    2nded.

If I hadn't gotten one of Smmokan's lightly used super bikes because of the supply chain shortage (and maybe it was a timing thing?) I probably would have gotten the aluminum Ripley SLX.
    That's a hell of a bike for $4k.
    SLX parts are great. If you spoil yourself with anything higher end, your wallet will regret it as you begin upgrading everything else in your garage. Or mudroom, in my case.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If I were going to own one bike, and if I were doing semi-regular desert trips, I'd probably be looking for a slightly bigger bike. Like a 140/150, or a 150/150 29er. A lot of that desert riding is pretty rough, and at the end of the day, there's really no substitute for more suspension. Don't get a 27.5 unless you're fairly short or you're concerned with throwing bar spins.

Bikes that I'd look at that can be had for around $4k:
    Stumpjumper Evo Alloy Comp
    Ripmo AF
    YT Jeffsy
    Propain Hugene
    Trance X (maybe)
    (I'm sure there are a bunch of others that I'm not thinking of)

I'd also probably be looking at used stuff. Which would mean getting more or less one of those same bikes, just with nicer parts.
    I’d add Canyon and Trek to the list of very nice bikes in the 4k range, and yeah, those Propain’s look sick
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    if you're not above average length, i'd say no reason to go 29 unless looking xc
    Uh. No

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Uh. No
    Talk to me Goose...it seems like most folks are suggesting a 29er for just a plain jane trail bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Talk to me Goose...it seems like most folks are suggesting a 29er for just a plain jane trail bike.
    A mid travel 29er is exactly what you are looking for. You will have everything you need to have fun with only one bike. Will it be a badass park bike? No. Will it be a badass xc bike? Also, no. But for an everyday, all around, throw your leg over and go bike, a mid travel 29er is precisely what you're looking for. They are like a jack of all trades bike. They kill it on your typical trail ride, and can still survive a bike park if you have good tires on them. If you're used to smaller wheeled bikes, you'll get some tire buzz on your ass at first, but you'll adjust to it.

My recommendations:

Revel Rascal (their suspension is a trip)
    Evil Offering
    Specialized Stumpjumper
    Giant Trance

There's so many really good bikes in this category it's crazy.

The 4k price cap will make it tougher for you, so check out Canyon and YT for direct to consumer savings.

$4K is a target. Its a value proposition. If there is a reason to raise my budget, convince me (durability, resale, etc.).

$4K is a target. Its a value proposition. If there is a reason to raise my budget, convince me (durability, resale, etc.).
    Nah... for what you're talking about that budget should be sufficient.

A mid travel 29er is exactly what you are looking for. You will have everything you need to have fun with only one bike. Will it be a badass park bike? No. Will it be a badass xc bike? Also, no. But for an everyday, all around, throw your leg over and go bike, a mid travel 29er is precisely what you're looking for. They are like a jack of all trades bike. They kill it on your typical trail ride, and can still survive a bike park if you have good tires on them. If you're used to smaller wheeled bikes, you'll get some tire buzz on your ass at first, but you'll adjust to it.

My recommendations:

Revel Rascal (their suspension is a trip)
    Evil Offering
    Specialized Stumpjumper
    Giant Trance

There's so many really good bikes in this category it's crazy.

The 4k price cap will make it tougher for you, so check out Canyon and YT for direct to consumer savings.
    This is a good list but.... not 4k. Most of those are 5-6k. Trance a little less, Stumpy can do it for alloy, but you can get a carbon comp for 4800. Crazy what prices have done, I got my carbon stumpy for 4100 (I think? Might have been 4200) last year.

Yeah, I'm overpriced, but unless you find a serious deal, that's bikes now.

Just here to say I love my alloy Trance X 29 2 (wow that's a mouthful). Pretty killer build for the price and checks all the boxes for a do it all bike in CO/UT IMO.

Yup. Unless op wants to buy a used bike.

Funny how so many people think to qualify as a “bike” it needs to have carbon, XT, and Kashima when most people will get just as many smiles out of aluminum and SLX.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Funny how so many people think to qualify as a “bike” it needs to have carbon, XT, and Kashima when most people will get just as many smiles out of aluminum and SLX.
    XT? Plebeian

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    For the record, my "budget" option on the above with the stumpy comp is SLX and the rest are GX Eagle I think. XT seems to be 7-8k. Also, I'll say that a carbon frame is generally "worth it" if you're willing to shed the additional 7-800 premium it typically takes. If you aren't - nothing wrong with alloy at all, but unlike drivetrain it's not like it's easy or cheap to change your mind on it.

Thanks for all the option and advice. It seems like availability is actually OK. I need to wait a couple weeks before I pull the trigger. Hopefully the good options still exist.

This is what I am liking this morning

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountai...ahmengroesse=L

Thanks for all the option and advice. It seems like availability is actually OK. I need to wait a couple weeks before I pull the trigger. Hopefully the good options still exist.

That's a solid option. A little more descending oriented than some of the other bikes being discussed earlier in the thread. Which isn't a bad thing - it just depends on what you're after. Personally, I'd rather ride that bike in moab / fruita / grand junction than some of the shorter travel bikes like a Ripley or Trance.

Yeah, I'm only gonna have one bike. The shorter travel may be nicer back home as the Headwaters Trails Alliance seems to make trails you can ride on a Unicyle. The Neuron may be the way I go. It will just depend on what colors are available and which one of you I feel like listening to when the time comes. If I go up to 160mm, do I have to wear knee pads?

One note - a lot of people early last season said they had issues with NX, not sure if that's still the case. I was advised on SLX or GX Eagle as the component "floor"

Good call. I'd also look at the Izzo; little less travel but a bit more spec for the money. Unfortunately the Core 3 build doesn't have a shipping ETA currently, but is a lot of bike for $4299

Core 2 is available: https://us.yt-industries.com/product...r=101429#tech3

I put it in the other thread, but if you are looking at the Canyon, this seems like a better deal with a slight weight penalty https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-tr...22-c2x35182057. In stock, and if you pick it up in Golden no shipping fees. Or if you want more travel, the Meta has a better spec at a lower price https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-tr...22-c2x35182057. That might be more bike than you need most of the time, but it will handle anything, and I haven't seen anything that compares pricewise. The Canyon your looking at is right in between these two.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

That Meta does look rad and would prefer to not just order and internet bike if given the choice. At somepoint I'll have to decide if I'm willing to wait for a "you should get your bike on this date" senario. For better or worse, not is when my schedule is a bit slack and my wife wants to get out of the cold so I sorta want my bike now god damn it!

if you are new back into the mtnbike game consider maybe it would be smarter to buy a bike from the LBS which has a warranty and will help you incase shit goes sideways ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Here, just get a ripmo, they're in stock https://www.jensonusa.com/Ibis-Ripmo-AF-SLX-Bike-2022

Schuss is right, I should. I gotta wait about a week to make sure my cheese shuffles around probably. Hopefully I can still find one...I like red.