Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 359

Thread: $4K Trail Bike

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    14,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I got the go ahead from the wife to by a new bike. I had been riding a 25 year old Trek hardtail. I'm tired of crashing and so is my wife. (i.e. she's tired of me crashing) I prefer pedaling/climbing, but need something confident on the descent. The old hardtail felt like riding a bucking bronco so I am going to full suspension. I have no problem getting off and pushing through very technical sections. I will ride primarily the Jeffco trails (Deer Creek, Mt Falcon, Lair o the Bear, Apex, etc) Hildibrand is right outside my door.

    I'm going to buy dealer stock in the Denver/South Denver area. Not online. I want the service and the relationship.
    I want a metal frame. I'm 5'10", so Large frame. Have to keep price under $4k as I need to add pedals, shoes, etc. Looking at what is currently in stock.
    Ripmo AF
    Stumpjumper Comp Alloy
    Occam H30
    Trek EX 7

    Everything I have read sends me to the Ripmo. But, is that too much bike for what I plan to ride? (I didn't find any Ripley in large in stock)
    Occam sound good, but complaints about the stock brakes. I'm not interested in upgrading out the shoot.
    Fire away your opinions. I know you got them.
    Ripmo will be too much for what you ride, IMO.... I think a trail bike with 130-140mm of travel will suit you better and you'll be blown away by how capable they are. If you like the Occam, why not talk to the shop and ask if they can swap the brakes for you before you buy it?

    Also- I don't necessarily think that buying a $3500 bike from a shop gets you any kind of relationship and special service these days, FWIW. In my experience, the only way you're going to form a relationship with a shop is to go in consistently and have them do work on your bike(s), so that you're seeing the same guy(s) multiple times. Hopefully that's not happening with a new bike.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    10,061
    Also note - at 5'10" you may find that a medium "modern" bike fits you better than a large. So don't go in hung up on bike size.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Nhampshire
    Posts
    7,054
    Agreed. I'm 5'10" and more comfortable on mediums in many brands as you can whip them around easier.

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    10,061
    Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Agreed. I'm 5'10" and more comfortable on mediums in many brands as you can whip them around easier.
    Shit - I'm 6'1" and *much* preferred the GG Megatrail (older gen) I demo'd in a medium vs a large.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,260
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Shit - I'm 6'1" and *much* preferred the GG Megatrail (older gen) I demo'd in a medium vs a large.
    Wasn't their old geometry way too long and they pulled it back?

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    under the hogback shadow
    Posts
    3,091
    you guys are correct. size differs between brands. I was going off of the recommendations of the brands I picked. But, looking around both mediums & larges are hard to find anyways

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    10,061
    Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Wasn't their old geometry way too long and they pulled it back?
    No idea... but the large was really long.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    2,147
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Ripmo will be too much for what you ride, IMO.... I think a trail bike with 130-140mm of travel will suit you better and you'll be blown away by how capable they are. If you like the Occam, why not talk to the shop and ask if they can swap the brakes for you before you buy it?

    Also- I don't necessarily think that buying a $3500 bike from a shop gets you any kind of relationship and special service these days, FWIW. In my experience, the only way you're going to form a relationship with a shop is to go in consistently and have them do work on your bike(s), so that you're seeing the same guy(s) multiple times. Hopefully that's not happening with a new bike.
    This and This!

    I'll restate my Izzo rec: https://us.yt-industries.com/product...-core-2/#tech3 $3300 gets you carbon and some pluses and minuses compared to the H30 spec.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,260
    Solid used bike. I'm sure price is slightly negotiable

    https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/d...471228467.html

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    235
    I think Elkhound said he prefers metal. Used carbon probably not his jam then. Or was “metal” just a budget choice?


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    under the hogback shadow
    Posts
    3,091
    Bought a Fuel EX 8. It’s red….ish
    I like the shimano XT group better than the sram nx on the EX 7.
    Just pedaling around the neighborhood trails I realize how horrible my beat up ancient hard tail was.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Mar 2022
    Posts
    110
    Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    I heard these are finally available at Costco online https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...s#.YhbTbSVHaEc

    28lb carbon bike with a 66* head angle for $3250.
    I picked up the 150/140 trail version with a fox 36 before they bumped the price. It is an Intense Primer 29 frame with a different paint job and a goofy 2021-supply-chain-jumble build kit.

    Haven't had a chance to ride it for real yet, just assembly, suspension setup, and some rides around the block...but I'm pretty jazzed on it.

    Wheels will be upgraded, but they are no worse than what you get on a lot of bikes that cost more. I don't mind NX at all other than the heavy cassette (which will go away with the wheels since it is HG freehub).

    I'm 6'2, but wondering if I should have stepped down to a Large...my last bike was too small (and 27.5+), but this feels like a big boy.
    Costco has a solid return policy though.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alta
    Posts
    2,052

    $4K Trail Bike

    5’10” is the average height of American male. Why is the size break M-L for most brands right there. Makes no sense. That YT Izzo is a great deal. Costco bike is pretty good too, rhythm fork is a bummer though.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    28,404
    What's the thought on the Intense Sniper-T: https://intensecycles.com/products/2022-sniper-t

    I was thinking Transition Spur, but that's unobtanium.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    19,389
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    What's the thought on the Intense Sniper-T: https://intensecycles.com/products/2022-sniper-t

    I was thinking Transition Spur, but that's unobtanium.
    Isn't the Sniper the same frame as the 951 "XC" version at Costco? I can't find it on Costco's site currently though.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Three-O-Three
    Posts
    14,897
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    What's the thought on the Intense Sniper-T: https://intensecycles.com/products/2022-sniper-t

    I was thinking Transition Spur, but that's unobtanium.
    $4500 for an NX group with Intense-brand components and base-level suspension, with a 73* STA? Hard pass.

    Right now, I think the best bang-for-your-buck in that price range is to buy a nice lightly-used bike that's a year or two old, with much better components. Something like a Ripley, Tallboy, Yeti SB130, GG Trail Pistol, Revel Rascal, etc. There are surprisingly lots of decent deals on local FB groups and the Pinkbike B/S.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    11,899
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    5’10” is the average height of American male. Why is the size break M-L for most brands right there. Makes no sense. That YT Izzo is a great deal. Costco bike is pretty good too, rhythm fork is a bummer though.
    Don't even get me started on this. There's like 2 companies that actually make bikes designed to fit average size people.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Fish
    Posts
    4,027
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Don't even get me started on this. There's like 2 companies that actually make bikes designed to fit average size people.
    I’ve been convinced for years we need 3 sizes across this spot, M-ML-L. Trek kinda does this but they mess it up because Trek. When all that is left is XLs and Smalls at the of the year you start thinking…
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

    Formerly Rludes025

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    What's the thought on the Intense Sniper-T: https://intensecycles.com/products/2022-sniper-t

    I was thinking Transition Spur, but that's unobtanium.
    How tall are you? And what size bike are you looking for?

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    28,404
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    $4500 for an NX group with Intense-brand components and base-level suspension, with a 73* STA? Hard pass.

    Right now, I think the best bang-for-your-buck in that price range is to buy a nice lightly-used bike that's a year or two old, with much better components. Something like a Ripley, Tallboy, Yeti SB130, GG Trail Pistol, Revel Rascal, etc. There are surprisingly lots of decent deals on local FB groups and the Pinkbike B/S.
    Thanks, that's why I asked here, because I don't know shit! I'll look for some of those or maybe toast will sell me his Spur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    How tall are you? And what size bike are you looking for?
    5'9", so I'm probably a medium in most bikes
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    7,683
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Right now, I think the best bang-for-your-buck in that price range is to buy a nice lightly-used bike that's a year or two old, with much better components. Something like a Ripley, Tallboy, Yeti SB130, GG Trail Pistol, Revel Rascal, etc. There are surprisingly lots of decent deals on local FB groups and the Pinkbike B/S.
    I agree. I recently bought a year old Norco Optic - GX build and other than a couple minor paint chips it doesn't look like the guy rode it - for $4k. Good deals are out there on used bikes for sure.

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    11,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Thanks, that's why I asked here, because I don't know shit! I'll look for some of those or maybe toast will sell me his Spur.5'9", so I'm probably a medium in most bikes
    If all goes as planned, my spur will be up for sale in 2 weeks or so. Moderately pimp-ish build, on the burly end as far as spur builds go.

    It'll probably go on pinkbike for around $5500, but mag pricing is available. Lemme know if that seems like it'd be of interest and I'll get you more info.

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    lake level
    Posts
    1,462
    You know shit's outta hand when people are calling a used bike with GX parts a good deal for 4k.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    7,683
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    You know shit's outta hand when people are calling a used bike with GX parts a good deal for 4k.
    lol, you're not wrong. $5k bike (a desirable one that was sold out most everywhere), looked nearly new, $4k shipped to my door. A few year ago it'd be a rip off at $4k, but now? Most sellers wanted $4500-4800 for beat up ones.

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    32,484
    Threadjack here for the Price Police…

    Maybe I’m not crazy asking $5450 with all of these new parts?

    (Maybe a bit high, but ya gotta start somewhere and come down, I guess)

    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...lent-condition
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •