Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: $4K Trail Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I got the go ahead from the wife to by a new bike. I had been riding a 25 year old Trek hardtail. I'm tired of crashing and so is my wife. (i.e. she's tired of me crashing) I prefer pedaling/climbing, but need something confident on the descent. The old hardtail felt like riding a bucking bronco so I am going to full suspension. I have no problem getting off and pushing through very technical sections. I will ride primarily the Jeffco trails (Deer Creek, Mt Falcon, Lair o the Bear, Apex, etc) Hildibrand is right outside my door.

I'm going to buy dealer stock in the Denver/South Denver area. Not online. I want the service and the relationship.
    I want a metal frame. I'm 5'10", so Large frame. Have to keep price under $4k as I need to add pedals, shoes, etc. Looking at what is currently in stock.
    Ripmo AF
    Stumpjumper Comp Alloy
    Occam H30
    Trek EX 7

Everything I have read sends me to the Ripmo. But, is that too much bike for what I plan to ride? (I didn't find any Ripley in large in stock)
    Occam sound good, but complaints about the stock brakes. I'm not interested in upgrading out the shoot.
    Fire away your opinions. I know you got them.
    Ripmo will be too much for what you ride, IMO.... I think a trail bike with 130-140mm of travel will suit you better and you'll be blown away by how capable they are. If you like the Occam, why not talk to the shop and ask if they can swap the brakes for you before you buy it?

Also- I don't necessarily think that buying a $3500 bike from a shop gets you any kind of relationship and special service these days, FWIW. In my experience, the only way you're going to form a relationship with a shop is to go in consistently and have them do work on your bike(s), so that you're seeing the same guy(s) multiple times. Hopefully that's not happening with a new bike.

Also note - at 5'10" you may find that a medium "modern" bike fits you better than a large. So don't go in hung up on bike size.

Agreed. I'm 5'10" and more comfortable on mediums in many brands as you can whip them around easier.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Agreed. I'm 5'10" and more comfortable on mediums in many brands as you can whip them around easier.
    Shit - I'm 6'1" and *much* preferred the GG Megatrail (older gen) I demo'd in a medium vs a large.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Shit - I'm 6'1" and *much* preferred the GG Megatrail (older gen) I demo'd in a medium vs a large.
    Wasn't their old geometry way too long and they pulled it back?

you guys are correct. size differs between brands. I was going off of the recommendations of the brands I picked. But, looking around both mediums & larges are hard to find anyways

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Wasn't their old geometry way too long and they pulled it back?
    No idea... but the large was really long.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Ripmo will be too much for what you ride, IMO.... I think a trail bike with 130-140mm of travel will suit you better and you'll be blown away by how capable they are. If you like the Occam, why not talk to the shop and ask if they can swap the brakes for you before you buy it?

Also- I don't necessarily think that buying a $3500 bike from a shop gets you any kind of relationship and special service these days, FWIW. In my experience, the only way you're going to form a relationship with a shop is to go in consistently and have them do work on your bike(s), so that you're seeing the same guy(s) multiple times. Hopefully that's not happening with a new bike.
    This and This!

I'll restate my Izzo rec: https://us.yt-industries.com/product...-core-2/#tech3 $3300 gets you carbon and some pluses and minuses compared to the H30 spec.

Solid used bike. I'm sure price is slightly negotiable

https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/d...471228467.html

I think Elkhound said he prefers metal. Used carbon probably not his jam then. Or was “metal” just a budget choice?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Bought a Fuel EX 8. It’s red….ish
    I like the shimano XT group better than the sram nx on the EX 7.
    Just pedaling around the neighborhood trails I realize how horrible my beat up ancient hard tail was.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    I heard these are finally available at Costco online https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...s#.YhbTbSVHaEc

28lb carbon bike with a 66* head angle for $3250.
    I picked up the 150/140 trail version with a fox 36 before they bumped the price. It is an Intense Primer 29 frame with a different paint job and a goofy 2021-supply-chain-jumble build kit.

Haven't had a chance to ride it for real yet, just assembly, suspension setup, and some rides around the block...but I'm pretty jazzed on it.

Wheels will be upgraded, but they are no worse than what you get on a lot of bikes that cost more. I don't mind NX at all other than the heavy cassette (which will go away with the wheels since it is HG freehub).

I'm 6'2, but wondering if I should have stepped down to a Large...my last bike was too small (and 27.5+), but this feels like a big boy.
    Costco has a solid return policy though.

$4K Trail Bike

5’10” is the average height of American male. Why is the size break M-L for most brands right there. Makes no sense. That YT Izzo is a great deal. Costco bike is pretty good too, rhythm fork is a bummer though.

What's the thought on the Intense Sniper-T: https://intensecycles.com/products/2022-sniper-t

I was thinking Transition Spur, but that's unobtanium.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    What's the thought on the Intense Sniper-T: https://intensecycles.com/products/2022-sniper-t

Isn't the Sniper the same frame as the 951 "XC" version at Costco? I can't find it on Costco's site currently though.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

$4500 for an NX group with Intense-brand components and base-level suspension, with a 73* STA? Hard pass.

Right now, I think the best bang-for-your-buck in that price range is to buy a nice lightly-used bike that's a year or two old, with much better components. Something like a Ripley, Tallboy, Yeti SB130, GG Trail Pistol, Revel Rascal, etc. There are surprisingly lots of decent deals on local FB groups and the Pinkbike B/S.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    5’10” is the average height of American male. Why is the size break M-L for most brands right there. Makes no sense. That YT Izzo is a great deal. Costco bike is pretty good too, rhythm fork is a bummer though.
    Don't even get me started on this. There's like 2 companies that actually make bikes designed to fit average size people.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Don't even get me started on this. There's like 2 companies that actually make bikes designed to fit average size people.
    I’ve been convinced for years we need 3 sizes across this spot, M-ML-L. Trek kinda does this but they mess it up because Trek. When all that is left is XLs and Smalls at the of the year you start thinking…
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

How tall are you? And what size bike are you looking for?

$4500 for an NX group with Intense-brand components and base-level suspension, with a 73* STA? Hard pass.

Right now, I think the best bang-for-your-buck in that price range is to buy a nice lightly-used bike that's a year or two old, with much better components. Something like a Ripley, Tallboy, Yeti SB130, GG Trail Pistol, Revel Rascal, etc. There are surprisingly lots of decent deals on local FB groups and the Pinkbike B/S.
    Thanks, that's why I asked here, because I don't know shit! I'll look for some of those or maybe toast will sell me his Spur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    How tall are you? And what size bike are you looking for?
    5'9", so I'm probably a medium in most bikes
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I agree. I recently bought a year old Norco Optic - GX build and other than a couple minor paint chips it doesn't look like the guy rode it - for $4k. Good deals are out there on used bikes for sure.

Thanks, that's why I asked here, because I don't know shit! I'll look for some of those or maybe toast will sell me his Spur.5'9", so I'm probably a medium in most bikes
    If all goes as planned, my spur will be up for sale in 2 weeks or so. Moderately pimp-ish build, on the burly end as far as spur builds go.

It'll probably go on pinkbike for around $5500, but mag pricing is available. Lemme know if that seems like it'd be of interest and I'll get you more info.

You know shit's outta hand when people are calling a used bike with GX parts a good deal for 4k.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    You know shit's outta hand when people are calling a used bike with GX parts a good deal for 4k.
    lol, you're not wrong. $5k bike (a desirable one that was sold out most everywhere), looked nearly new, $4k shipped to my door. A few year ago it'd be a rip off at $4k, but now? Most sellers wanted $4500-4800 for beat up ones.

Threadjack here for the Price Police…

Maybe I’m not crazy asking $5450 with all of these new parts?

(Maybe a bit high, but ya gotta start somewhere and come down, I guess)

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...lent-condition
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident