Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: $4K Trail Bike

Yes, but at least they will service your bike and any claims.
    Trying to deal with Jensen, your doing it all yourself.

$4K Trail Bike

Am I the only codger appalled that $4k is a mid-spec bike these days?
    (for that matter…that number is for stock w/out pedals or upgrades or accessories)
    (if you can find one in your size & don’t have to wait months to see if it fits properly…)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I don't think the skis: bike travel analogy really works that well.

I'm watching this thread too for ideas, as Mrs C needs an update to her original Ripley. The Ripley AF seems to me to be an excellent choice for her, but she's picky as hell (without being able to define what she likes on a bike or why) and I'm not going to drop $$$$ just to find out. So I need to find a medium for her to demo somewhere somehow.
    Ibis will hopefully get their demo tour going again this summer. They usually are in Tahoe for a couple of days and truckee for a couple more ea summer if she can wait that long. Olympic in Tahoe usually has demos too but i think they only had ripmos last year. You could call and ask if they know what will be in their fleet this year

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Yes, but at least they will service your bike and any claims.
    Trying to deal with Jensen, your doing it all yourself.
    Def something to be said for buying a new bike at a LBS.

some brands are all put together at the factory and some not so much, my Yeti ferinstance came in a box with a bunch of other little boxes so they had to pay their yeti guy to put it togetehr, along with the low margin the LBS didnt make much money on the yeti but it was a cool bike

if something goes wrong the LBS should be able to help you out maybe its a simple bleed or adjustment maybe an issue with a component, LBS know and talk to the reps maybe you need a loaner part, back when there were actualy bikes in stock if you seen a missing part on a bike in the showroom it was more than likely taken off to go on a customer's bike and the replacement was on the way let your imagination run wild what could go wrong ?

if yer a guy with a garage full of tools, already own a bunch of bikes and spare parts yer wife doesnt know about sure a mail order bike will more than likely work out no problem but if you don't even know what you don't know maybe paying list for a nice boring Giant would be a better idea for the NEW biker ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-10-2022 at 10:33 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    (for that matter…that number is for stock w/out pedals or upgrades or accessories)
    (if you can find one in your size & don’t have to wait months to see if it fits properly…)
    actualy its the old codgers who are spending the $ cuz they can, compared to a lot of toys the monied folk can spend money on 4K is really not that much money especialy the toys with motors

I think one just starts spending more $ kind of like the frog in the pot of water that doesnt realize it is being boiled alive

those Dogma's the Mamals ride or at least lust after are 20K+ , if a shop can flog a half dozen of those Pinarello will send them a really nice bottle of Valpolachella in a wooden case for xmas
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-10-2022 at 02:46 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Ibis will hopefully get their demo tour going again this summer. They usually are in Tahoe for a couple of days and truckee for a couple more ea summer if she can wait that long. Olympic in Tahoe usually has demos too but i think they only had ripmos last year. You could call and ask if they know what will be in their fleet this year
    Thanks - will keep watching for local demos.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

No. Not the only one.

I have a similar reaction to kids' bikes. In general a lightweight (25# or less) hardtail 26er costs $1500+. I realize that these are basically adult bikes with smaller frames but man... It's still a hard pill.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Get an Ibis

I'd advice anybody looking for an inexpensive alu MTB to check out Fuji. I know it's not a sexy brand, and they're heavy, but overall they offer pretty OK value. I had a Fuji Rakan LT 1.5 briefly last summer (long story for another time), and while I didn't manage to ride it much, the bike really surprised me with how well it rode. I bought it just to help me re-learn to jump and ride some gnarlier stuff. It didn't climb like my Epic Evo, but it definitely climbed better than the weight (it's heavy AF) and travel suggested. And did I say Fuji is pretty low cost?

I benefit nothing by recommending Fuji, I just found it to be pretty good bike for the money. I have ordered another Rakan LT for next summer, and hopefully I'll get to ride it more.

I used to rec Fuji a lot for road/cross bikes. You could usually find a full bike for less than the group set they hung on them. But in the last 5 years the value has lagged significantly, $2800 list for aluminum frame with Recon Silver and Deore 11-speed isn’t great, a used Trance or Ripmo AF would be a much better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    …But in the last 5 years the value has lagged significantly, $2800 list for aluminum frame with Recon Silver and Deore 11-speed isn’t great, a used Trance or Ripmo AF would be a much better deal.
    Is it $2800 in USD as well? That’s not that awesome then, but C$2800 is pretty good price.

Agree on the used bike.

I heard these are finally available at Costco online https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...s#.YhbTbSVHaEc

28lb carbon bike with a 66* head angle for $3250.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    I heard these are finally available at Costco online https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...s#.YhbTbSVHaEc

28lb carbon bike with a 66* head angle for $3250.
    While you’re there you can buy a 55 gallon drum of queso for a lifetime of chain lubes.

Thanks for all your help. He true TGR fashion, my trusted consultants goaded me over budget. I ended up purchasing a Spot Mayhem 130. Mostly because it is red. I don't pick it up until later this week so I can't comment on the ride but the customer service has been outstanding.

If feel good about spending a bit more to support a small business and do things the old fashioned way of phone calls and trust and real people that laugh and make jokes. Stay tuned for more outta tough old dude bike questions.

Its hard to go wrong by adding a little more to the original budget. Its easy to go wrong by trying to low dog.

Congrats and welcome to 2022 bike world.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

That’s cool! Well done…. Interested to hear a report and see pictures

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Its hard to go wrong by adding a little more to the original budget. Its easy to go wrong by trying to low dog.

Congrats and welcome to 2022 bike world.
    Also hard to go wrong with red. Ride the shit out of that thing.

So, the title should be 4-Star Trail Bike.

The Mayhem is a sweet rig. Still regret selling mine sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Thanks for all your help. He true TGR fashion, my trusted consultants goaded me over budget. I ended up purchasing a Spot Mayhem 130. Mostly because it is red. I don't pick it up until later this week so I can't comment on the ride but the customer service has been outstanding.

If feel good about spending a bit more to support a small business and do things the old fashioned way of phone calls and trust and real people that laugh and make jokes. Stay tuned for more outta tough old dude bike questions.
    Congrats! You let me know when you're heading to the desert, I'll come join you so that I can admire its redness and you can make fun of my fanny pack.

I got the go ahead from the wife to by a new bike. I had been riding a 25 year old Trek hardtail. I'm tired of crashing and so is my wife. (i.e. she's tired of me crashing) I prefer pedaling/climbing, but need something confident on the descent. The old hardtail felt like riding a bucking bronco so I am going to full suspension. I have no problem getting off and pushing through very technical sections. I will ride primarily the Jeffco trails (Deer Creek, Mt Falcon, Lair o the Bear, Apex, etc) Hildibrand is right outside my door.

I'm going to buy dealer stock in the Denver/South Denver area. Not online. I want the service and the relationship.
    I want a metal frame. I'm 5'10", so Large frame. Have to keep price under $4k as I need to add pedals, shoes, etc. Looking at what is currently in stock.
    Ripmo AF
    Stumpjumper Comp Alloy
    Occam H30
    Trek EX 7

Everything I have read sends me to the Ripmo. But, is that too much bike for what I plan to ride? (I didn't find any Ripley in large in stock)
    Occam sound good, but complaints about the stock brakes. I'm not interested in upgrading out the shoot.
    Fire away your opinions. I know you got them.

Giant Trance X 2 29 should be on your list as well if a dealer has one locally. Its a great do it all bike.

If you might ride your bikes for 25 years might be worth waiting for the right bike, maybe for a ripley if you think that would suit you better. I was thinking of that bike before you started naming anything given your description. I know shipments are coming in for a lot of their dealers. But if you’ve found a Ripmo AF in stock that is kudos too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums