Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: $4K Trail Bike

On the druid both the guide and the idler touch the chain (although I saw a forum post somewhere where someone claimed they haven't had a guide on their druid for a year including bike park laps and haven't dropped a chain).

I can't 100% say if it was noticeable in my short test ride. Felt like I could tell, but I wasn't back-to-back comparing bikes.

Could absolutely feel it just turning the pedals forwards and backwards by hand though, and that was on a clean brand new drivetrain. If you can feel it, it definitely costs you a few watts of power output. Somebody at pinkbike did a double power-meter test between a Dreadnaught (idler and chain guide) and a normal-pivot and found a roughly 2% power loss between pedals and cassette.

Is 2% enough to care? No idea. On the road, people will buy ceramic bearings and oversized derailleur pulleys to save a fraction of that, but unless you're racing I'm not sure it matters compared to how much you like riding the bike. On an hour-long climb, you'd be like a minute and a half slower?

I immediately removed the lower chain guide when I got my recent Druid... I've ridden hundreds of miles on super chunky and rowdy terrain, and never dropped a chain once.

When I had my first Druid a couple winters ago, I could absolutely feel the chain drag with it on. Without it, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and a standard drivetrain. I've done a handful of 4-5k' climbing days with the Druid and never felt like I was sacrificing efficiency (without the lower chain guide, of course).

There is a Hugene medium, lowest level build on pinkbike, 3400$. I almost went for that, fyi. Was available yesterday still. Not real easy to get ahold of the seller, slow response, but, it has been up for quite a while also. This has been a fun thread. In the same timeframe, I went for a hugene performance build, super happy. Big step up from the aluminum, used, 2013 stumpy that I made into 1x.

I just pulled the trigger on a Canyon Neuron CF 9. They're marked down to $3999 and come with full XT build and DT Swiss carbon fiber wheels

PSA: $5K trail bike for $2900+ship. Ibis Ripmo (not the AF, the CF), large only, gray only. Shipping to USA is about $300 but you still win big. If I rode a Large I would have already bought one.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/en-us/i...22-265154.html

From the pic that silver looks to be the Silver Ripmo AF, not the grey Carbon. The 2 blues are definitely the carbon, but also at 1k more. If it were me I'd be reaching out via email or something to make sure first.

If that's really the Grey Carbon that's a ridiculous deal indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by deanafit View Post
    There is a Hugene medium, lowest level build on pinkbike, 3400$. I almost went for that, fyi. Was available yesterday still. Not real easy to get ahold of the seller, slow response, but, it has been up for quite a while also. This has been a fun thread. In the same timeframe, I went for a hugene performance build, super happy. Big step up from the aluminum, used, 2013 stumpy that I made into 1x.
    FWIW, the Hugene has become my favorite trail bike ever. It climbs SO well, and the modern geo and ability to run a 150mm Lyrik Ultimate up front allows it to handle some pretty rowdy shit without getting me into too much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    FWIW, the Hugene has become my favorite trail bike ever. It climbs SO well, and the modern geo and ability to run a 150mm Lyrik Ultimate up front allows it to handle some pretty rowdy shit without getting me into too much trouble.
    X2. After a season on it, I'm pretty psyched on mine.

As much as anything, I like it because it doesn't try to be something it isn't. It's pretty much the definition of a trail bike. Capable enough to handle almost any trail, but it's not one of those shorter travel bikes that tries to act like it's a mini enduro sled. Which means it's still entirely pleasant on long climbs and mellower terrain.

The Hugene was a bike I was really interested when I lived in the East and would be again if I ever had a two mountain bike stable.

I mentioned it in the other thread, but Vital loved Norco's Fluid FS. They have an AL framed, Fox Factory/Performance Elite, full XT model for 4k, which seems a really good deal at retail.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    From the pic that silver looks to be the Silver Ripmo AF, not the grey Carbon. The 2 blues are definitely the carbon, but also at 1k more. If it were me I'd be reaching out via email or something to make sure first.

If that's really the Grey Carbon that's a ridiculous deal indeed!
    You're correct, and I'd do the same...but they have several other listings specifically for AF builds, and the CF comes in gray, so it's not impossible that they indeed have a couple CF Larges left.

There are several retailers out there offering Ripmo AF builds for under $3K right now in all frame sizes, including N+1 and Jenson. Most of them are the Deore build on Ibis' website: Deore drivetrain and brakes, a really nice DVO rear air shock, and (somewhat incongruously) a Marzocchi Z1 Coil. A few hundred more gets you an SLX drivetrain. That's still an excellent deal. Usually when you get over that 130-140mm threshold, bikes instantly cost $1K more, but those are Ripley prices.

Despite the online sales, local retailers around me are still asking full retail, even for 2021 bikes still on the floor. I think everyone is going to find that the Covid bike mania simply pulled a lot of demand forward, and there will be a lot of good deals in the next couple years. That said, inflation is roaring away because printing money doesn't make everyone rich and too many people think we can run an industrial economy on rainbows and unicorn farts (watch Germany and the UK freeze this winter if you want a preview), so it's not clear whether inflation or demand destruction will win this particular race.

PSA: 25% off at YT-industries right now. Mostly size large and up. Izzo core 4 with fox factory, x01, and Carbon dt wheels for $3,750 seems like a ridiculous deal.

That YT is an insane deal. Only XL and XXL available now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1676686123.668805.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	448190
    Bump, selling my xl ‘21 Ripmo for $3900
    Hard to complete with all the deals out there right now though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Does anyone think a Capra Core 4 29er is a great upgrade from a 2015 Giant Reign? Weight will be the same but my guess is the Capra will climb better and I'm going from DX parts and an older pike to Eagle drivertain and a Fox 38 float. Obviously lotsa other changes too. Me comparing the different angles won't do shit because angles mean nothing to me and nothing bores me to tears more than comparing numbers that I have zero reference for. There's too many choices out there (in a good way mostly) and I've ridden like 3 bikes in the last 10-12 years so I have no idea what I prefer, I do know I like the reign at least? It climbs poorly though with my Cane Creek coil shock with no lock out, but whatever it's not a big concern. I also have an older light carbon trail bike for longer rides so this isn't my one bike to rule them all.

https://us.yt-industries.com/product...pra-29-core-4/

Any general advice is appreciated! I suppose I'm just looking for red flags, not looking for the best bike in the world or wanting to spend a shitload on a disposable very breakable item.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Does anyone think a Capra Core 4 29er is a great upgrade from a 2015 Giant Reign? Weight will be the same but my guess is the Capra will climb better and I'm going from DX parts and an older pike to Eagle drivertain and a Fox 38 float. Obviously lotsa other changes too. Me comparing the different angles won't do shit because angles mean nothing to me and nothing bores me to tears more than comparing numbers that I have zero reference for. There's too many choices out there (in a good way mostly) and I've ridden like 3 bikes in the last 10-12 years so I have no idea what I prefer, I do know I like the reign at least? It climbs poorly though with my Cane Creek coil shock with no lock out, but whatever it's not a big concern. I also have an older light carbon trail bike for longer rides so this isn't my one bike to rule them all.

https://us.yt-industries.com/product...pra-29-core-4/

Any general advice is appreciated! I suppose I'm just looking for red flags, not looking for the best bike in the world or wanting to spend a shitload on a disposable very breakable item.
    Check out the Specialized Stumpjumper Evo comp also. I think you’d dig it. Good bike for the money. They’re $3700 right now. Not to confuse you with more options…

What size are you in a Specialized, I think we are the same height?

Heya...can you guyus who are on Propain Hugenes give some more info?

Not sure what in particular, just more thoughts if you have the time.

Looking to replace a 2020 Commencal Meta TR29 frame (which i like A Lot!) and am eyeing their new TEMPO frame, a Hugene frame, and a few other things. No way for me to get a ride on either of them at this point, so would be buying blindly.
    Prefer the feel of the Commencal vs. any Horst bike I've been on in the past, but haven't really ridden any in the last five years or so.
    Enjoyed some of the Maestro and Santa Cruz VPP bike I've had in the past, but same deal - haven't pedaled any of the newer versions. I still prefer the feel of the Commencal over them.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Heya...can you guyus who are on Propain Hugenes give some more info?

Not sure what in particular, just more thoughts if you have the time.

Looking to replace a 2020 Commencal Meta TR29 frame (which i like A Lot!) and am eyeing their new TEMPO frame, a Hugene frame, and a few other things. No way for me to get a ride on either of them at this point, so would be buying blindly.
    Prefer the feel of the Commencal vs. any Horst bike I've been on in the past, but haven't really ridden any in the last five years or so.
    Enjoyed some of the Maestro and Santa Cruz VPP bike I've had in the past, but same deal - haven't pedaled any of the newer versions. I still prefer the feel of the Commencal over them.
    I haven't ridden a meta tr, but I would guess that it feels like a little more bike than the hugene. I would call the hugene a true modern trail bike, meaning that it climbs decently, it doesn't feel stupid on flatter, rolling terrain, and it does as well as possible on the descents without sacrificing those first two traits. I think a lot of bikes in that 140-150 ballpark are emphasizing the descents just a little more.

Which isn't to say the hugene is bad on descents at all - it does really well. But there are bikes in this travel class that do a little better (generally at the expense of climbing and mellower terrain).

I really like the hugene as a compliment to a bigger bike (a norco range for me). But if I was gonna get one bike to do everything, it'd probably be something like a stumpy evo (or maybe a propain tyee).

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I haven't ridden a meta tr, ...evo (or maybe a propain tyee).
    Thanks. I'm on the prior gen TR29 - the newest is fairly beefed up/burlier and more than I want as a daily driver, at least on my local day to day stuff - maybe if I was living out west again. Lots of short and steep up and down mixed with jumbled rocky slow speed tech. Very little in the way of smooth/flowy stuff.

Not ready for a one bike thing yet - still keeping the 170R/180F enderpo bike for stupid days and lift days, travel to places with the descents to warrant it. And the fat/plus hardtail.

The Hugene is pretty similar in numbers to my current ride, just 10mm more rear travel. Was never a big hucker, and age with the build up of lots of little niggling injuries means I keep wheels down even more. But I still love a good rowdy descent (even if short) and really dig hard technical stuff. On papaer, the Hugene seems like a pretty good candidate for a new daily driver.

A Status 140 frame on sale is appealing, but I've just never got on well with any of my prior Horst bikes.

Gotta go sell some shit...

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    What size are you in a Specialized, I think we are the same height?
    S5 is my jam at 6’1”.

...aaaaand Propain Hugene frame ordered up! All my parts will transfer x neeeding a new BB, which is no big deal.

Anyone want a 2020 Commencal Meta TR29 frame only in size large (no shock) for a good Mag deal? Like 500 shipped?
    Headset, BB, a few other bits included.

Just ordered a jeffsy core 3 at 25% off. $3250 shipped to my door. Stoked.

If anyone is bike shopping, Canyon prices are pretty crazy at the moment. Between that and YT...
    Last edited by Eluder; 02-21-2023 at 07:44 AM.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I hesitated just long enough on a YT Izzo core 4 for my size to sell out.
    As yet undecided if that is good or bad - good but my wallet, bad cos now it’s unavailable I actually want it more…

PSA: Intense has a coupon for $1,000 off any bike: IFR1K

That makes "Expert" builds of the Tracer/Sniper/Primer all in the 3500-3700 range.

Or you can take that coupon code over to the open-box sale at Intense 951: https://intense951.com/collections/sale

The 951XC is a re-painted Sniper T with a rhythm fork and NX build for $2500
    The 951 Trail is a re-painted Primer with a rhythm fork and NX build for $2600.

I had a Trail last season and got along with it OK. I liked the TRP Slate T4, and the NX group worked fine for me. Wanted to upgrade the wheelset, wasn't in love with the 36 rhythm, and could have used a touch steeper seat tube, but overall it worked for me. Cracked the top-tube though, from forum posts elsewhere it seems like the top tube might be a little fragile--otherwise I'd still be riding it.

For $2500 I'm kinda considering the XC for my wife to get her on a full suspension. Build kit compares pretty favorably to the YT Izzo Core 2 for $3300 although seat angle is way slacker and I kind of worry about the standover and dropper insertion since my wife has short legs and long torso (Izzo standover is 5.4CM lower)