Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Nurses

This thread highlights that most people that don’t work in healthcare are clueless about most things related to the work.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    This thread highlights that most people that don’t work in healthcare are clueless about most things related to the work.

^^^^ this x100

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Legally Blond.
    Attorneys might be at the very top of the list of those who get unwarranted praise and admiration by society. The only thing close is doctors. Attorneys' jobs are as unrealistically glamorized as any. I can't wait for Legally Blonde III to come out, where Elle becomes a public defender and gets shoved in a jail cell with someone coming off their meth high wrapped in a straight jacket because they are trying to self harm themselves by eating staples they collect from the courtroom table who is in jail because she ripped off her 75 year old pimp that she didn't want to fuck anymore (true story for me).

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    (true story for me).
    No it isn’t

Attorneys might be at the very top of the list of those who get unwarranted praise and admiration by society. The only thing close is doctors. Attorneys' jobs are as unrealistically glamorized as any. I can't wait for Legally Blonde III to come out, where Elle becomes a public defender and gets shoved in a jail cell with someone coming off their meth high wrapped in a straight jacket because they are trying to self harm themselves by eating staples they collect from the courtroom table who is in jail because she ripped off her 75 year old pimp that she didn't want to fuck anymore (true story for me).
    Hey everybody, look at me i'm a lawyer, look at me, look at me!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I assume that you don’t understand that your ‘contrarian’ pose often makes you look like a world class idiot. This is one of those times.
    Thank you for your service.

Where is their thread?
    Cuntrarian - you do realize you can start your own threads. That’s not a question - we know you do. But then you wouldn’t be able to whine in here.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Cuntrarian - you do realize you can start your own threads. That’s not a question - we know you do. But then you wouldn’t be able to whine in here.
    I would have to start a thousand new threads to show appreciation to all the jobs society doesn't appreciate. Want me to start benny?

Nurses

^do it. you seem to have plenty of time on your hands

In most hospitals nurses are paid the same regardless of what department they work in. They’re paid on a scale based on seniority.

Not around here.
    Typically there is some consideration for specialties. ICU vs someone working in a clinic can be 15-20% difference for similar experience.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Early on I realized I wanted a job with maximal days off. Paramedics=20 days off/month. After burning out RN= 16-18 days a month. So glad I was able to retire for covid. Now after vax and booster I help out a day every other week or so for cognitive stim, socializing and better toys and vacations.

This, it's challenging on all levels pandemic or otherwise. I don't blame nurses for traveling, I do blame hospital admins who would rather pay travelers crazy rates because they can run them into the ground rather than slightly increase wages and working conditions for staff.

Hospital admins have little to no appreciation or desire to even consider the costs of losing institutional memory everytime a nurse leaves a position for a travel gig.
    Last edited by bennymac; 02-08-2022 at 12:24 PM.

In my experience attorneys are universally loathed not lauded.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Not around here.
    Typically there is some consideration for specialties. ICU vs someone working in a clinic can be 15-20% difference for similar experience.
    A clinic would likely not have a CBU. Most of the hospitals in WA are covered by WSNA contracts.

Working in a clinic isn’t the as working in a hospital.

Hospital admins have little to know appreciation or desire to even consider the costs of losing institutional memory everytime a nurse leaves a position for a travel gig.
    Hospital administrators are not stupid. When you considered a total compensation package, salary, health insurance and retirement account, it’s a break even for them without the hassle that comes with FTEs. I don’t agree with that mentality but I get why they feel travelers are an attractive option. If the traveler is a shitty employee you just don’t renew their contract. They’re disposable.

Hospital nursing is a very physical job--not the kind of job someone can do until age 65. There are clinic jobs, management jobs but not enough for all the nurses with broken bodies who need them. Patients aren't getting any lighter. There may be teams to move patients but not enough; most of the time the job falls to nurses. (You don't see docs pitching in when patients need to be turned or moved. I did try to help with that, but I have to admit I made myself scarce when there was a code brown in the middle of a move.)

There aren't near enough spots in nursing schools, because nursing instructors get paid a lot less than the starting salary of a new grad. Nursing supervisors also make less, because no overtime, so the wrong people often wind up in charge.

You don't always see RN's helping either tbh.
    That's why Nursing is a team sport, as mentioned already. I couldn't tell you what dosage of meds a patient needs, but I can tell you what I'll be needing to do in 30 minutes if they don't have those meds on board...
    Definitely physically demanding though.. and you're right, people are getting bigger. 200lbs plus would be the average on the ward I worked on.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Hospital nursing is a very physical job--not the kind of job someone can do until age 65. There are clinic jobs, management jobs but not enough for all the nurses with broken bodies who need them. Patients aren't getting any lighter. There may be teams to move patients but not enough; most of the time the job falls to nurses. (You don't see docs pitching in when patients need to be turned or moved. I did try to help with that, but I have to admit I made myself scarce when there was a code brown in the middle of a move.)
    We’ve got hover mats now. I love them, you can move a 300+ pound patient with two people.

Last weekend we were positioning a patient for a hemi and she shat. The orthopedic surgeon was holding her and I refused to trade places with him so he could leave. We all laughed at him.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

There aren't near enough spots in nursing schools, because nursing instructors get paid a lot less than the starting salary of a new grad. Nursing supervisors also make less, because no overtime, so the wrong people often wind up in charge.
    THis.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

A clinic would likely not have a CBU. Most of the hospitals in WA are covered by WSNA contracts.

Working in a clinic isn’t the as working in a hospital.

Fair enough... But ICU and PCU say don't pay the same here either. I was just going on the largest delta I could think of at the hospital my wife works at.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

back in the day I did some pretty intricate operations with spring hooks and forceps but if i fucked it up i could just come back tomorrow with some parts, nobody died cuz it was just a typewriter and I'm still getting paid
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

We’ve got hover mats now. I love them, you can move a 300+ pound patient with two people.

Last weekend we were positioning a patient for a hemi and she shat. The orthopedic surgeon was holding her and I refused to trade places with him so he could leave. We all laughed at him.

I guess he doesn't do Colonoscopies either. Bahaha.

Hospital administrators are not stupid. When you considered a total compensation package, salary, health insurance and retirement account, it’s a break even for them without the hassle that comes with FTEs. I don’t agree with that mentality but I get why they feel travelers are an attractive option. If the traveler is a shitty employee you just don’t renew their contract. They’re disposable.

My point is they are more driven by budget than downstream stress on the system that is not captured as a line item on a budget - but has real ramifications and may in the end cost them more.

My point is they are more driven by budget than downstream stress on the system that is not captured as a line item on a budget - but has real ramifications and may in the end cost them more.
    That’s what I said