Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bluebird Backcountry "Resort", anyone been?

Are .you familiar with this place? A mountain in Kremmling, CO. that has no lifts or restaurants, a ski patrol that performs avi. control, but up hill travel only (skins), limited capacity of 200 skiers/day (1100 acres), looks like 1100' vert max. $40/day.
    Is this privately owned?
    What do you think of the concept? How about the terrain and snow?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 6.17.01 PM.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	404467
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

It's a joke for front rangers to remember where the on button of their beacon is.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Interesting business model for sure. I've never been but I know it has grown/expanded since it started so they must be doing okay. Or they've got enough investors to keep it afloat.

The privately owned company leases privately owned land.

Experienced backcountry bros love to bag on it but given the explosion of dimwits that want to go backcountry skiing without all the critical thinking and challenging decision making that goes along with that, Bluebird is filling a much needed niche. I'm all for it. Frankly, I think that those people that ARE actually committed to learning how to make decisions in the backcountry are getting more out of their avalanche classes when they go somewhere like Bluebird and learn how to use all their shit so they don't have to spend half their level 1 class learning how to put their skins on their skis in the correct direction.

As for the location, it doesn't get a lot of snow. I think that's fine for what it is.

At least one maggette (who doesn't post much here anymore) has taught classes for them and as far as I know has had a positive experience there.

Bluebird Backcountry "Resort", anyone been?

I’ve been wanting to go, especially since they moved to this new location closer to Rabbit Ears. The terrain off the summit of Bear looks pretty damn cool, as do the aspen glades.
    I love the concept. I hope they keep doing well and it opens up opportunities elsewhere. Seems like a great place to learn and not get yourself into trouble as well as be among a cool community of people.
    I am curious how many people go up there and are only able to do one run after slogging their way up and realizing “holy shit, this is hard!”

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    ....this is hard!”
    that's why i like it

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

It's not personally very appealing, but I think it is a very good thing to exist. I know at least one mag that goes regularly because it's an easy place to get out solo with a pup and in general has a good vibe.

Is it a destination for hardcore tourers? No. Is it something that I expect most who have already had a lot of exposure to the backcountry will enjoy? No. Does it make sense for a lot of folks who are curious about moving in the mtns under their own power -- but want to try it out before spending $1000+ on a ski setup, b/s/p, etc? Hell yes.

I wish them all the best. It's too bad the FS can't permit such a low-impact and obviously successful business model on public lands. If bluebird was at Berthoud, or Guanella, or even somewhere like Mayflower it'd be incredibly successful. (Yeah, i know people barf at the idea of Berthoud being put under this model. Yet many of the same people remember the old ski area fondly.)

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I wish them all the best. It's too bad the FS can't permit such a low-impact and obviously successful business model on public lands. If bluebird was at Berthoud, or Guanella, or even somewhere like Mayflower it'd be incredibly successful. (Yeah, i know people barf at the idea of Berthoud being put under this model. Yet many of the same people remember the old ski area fondly.)
    I do too, really, and I'm glad those people are temporarily out of my way, but don't kid yourself that if this was a thing on public lands, there would be some casualties with a free ticket to skin. Fuck that. And get off my lawn and all that. They should start there, do 8 laps at Silverton, then take a FOBP intro course, get some mileage and a real course, then see if they are not just testing a fad. It is truly a good onramp and I wish them well.

Not a business I would invest in, in any sense.

Line go up, right?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    ... They should start there, do 8 laps at Silverton, then take a FOBP intro course, get some mileage and a real course, then see if they are not just testing a fad. ...
    The vast majority of people I know that express an opinion like this, were far more green before they ever entered the backcountry proper than they expect folks to be these days. Pretty damn high bar we expect of new entrants when most of us just bought some old, used gear -- some tele sticks or frames, maybe read a little bit, and started hiking. Maybe with a buddy who "had experience". If you were lucky.

Who knows, maybe we were just chasing a fad too.

Think I get a free day there so I have been tempted to check it out but also not really motivated to get there at the same time when I can ski things closer to home. I think it is a cool idea and maybe it could appeal to some more experienced backcountry users, or at least myself anyways, if they had some steeper avalanche mitigated terrain. Still don't really have a good feel for what the terrain is actually like there which is why I am slightly curious to check it out. Some things would need to line up for me to consider it though, like maybe some snow again.

It is what it is. The marketing spin, pep rally attitude and the fact the the don't really like paying there help ain't for me but I don't have to go right?

As far as the localized trend of new backcountry skiers, there appears to have been a shift back to meadow skipping. There are plenty of newbies who are looking to get out, primarily avoid avalanche terrain and minimize decision making challenges.

I think this model is great for them. And honestly, $59 seems like a bargain for most anything these day. 2 beers, a hour of bowling and more chicken wings cost more than that around here.

DBD, respectfully, I'm not sure you know what you are talking about Re: Berthoud. Yes, it was the best little ski area around for a minute. Would in be sustainable in todays world? Probably not due to the water and sanitation situation and the challenges with CDOT/State Patrol and the Bus County.

What, in my opinion, may work is ski areas expanding into non-lift served terrain. Somewhere that you can ski tour with an avalanche mitigation program and the operator have take advantage of a business infrastructure already in place is an interesting concept.

It fills that space for people looking to get the fuck away from the shit weekend resort experience and experience some peace in the woods, while learning something new, in a safe environment.

Agreed, accept for the peace in the woods part. Its more of a promotion of the social aspect of ski touring. Nothing wrong with that but it is certainly a "fart sniffing encouraged" experience...but so is Berthoud, Loveland and all the other popular spots at many times.

The "if I can heard you, you are too close" school of sharing the forest is not universally accepted anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

I wonder how limiting access would work for a place like this on public land. It's one thing for a ski area on a forest service lease to say "you can't use our lifts without a ticket." It's seems a little more complicated to keep non-payers out of a human powered "resort."

It would be challenging. Thats why sticking the backcountry ski area out back behind the resort may be an option. Go look at land which is already inside ski area permit boundaries but not managed as such. Remember, for better of worse, the FS and BLM ain't really looking to make more work for themselves.

We have this - https://bbss.ca/hankinevelyn/ similar idea but free.

The terrain is ok as wellClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1644077904.722812.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	525.5 KB 
ID:	404541Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1644077956.439171.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	534.3 KB 
ID:	404542

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Agreed, accept for the peace in the woods part. Its more of a promotion of the social aspect of ski touring. Nothing wrong with that but it is certainly a "fart sniffing encouraged" experience...but so is Berthoud, Loveland and all the other popular spots at many times.

The "if I can heard you, you are too close" school of sharing the forest is not universally accepted anymore.
    How could it be a fart sniffing experience with a max of 200 ppl?

And when was the last sentence ever a thing? If you don't want to hear people it is uncumbent upon you to fix it, not them.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    It fills that space for people looking to get the fuck away from the shit weekend resort experience and experience some peace in the woods, while learning something new, in a safe environment.
    Shit, sign this jong up. I wish Mammoth had something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

podcast interview with manager before they moved.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4DL...0a7c53c2ce4f7e

^^^That Podcast in pretty representative of what it is. Again, I'm in favor of the place. But keep in mind it is basically a human powered Granby Ranch. If haven't the owners wife dress up in a tutu and serve you bacon on the totally grueling 500 vert skin track on the way up the the midmountain pep rally with a fire pit and hot chocolate is your cup of tee have at it.

If this is a stepping stone to bigger things, rad. But Silverton without the lifts in aint'.

Re: Fart Sniffing It only takes two, if you want go butz to nutz on the skin track and chat, have at in. And intergroup spacing and keeping your vocal footprint down has been considered courteous in the backcountry for the last 25 years were I ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Leshphilling77 View Post
    Think I get a free day there so I have been tempted to check it out but also not really motivated to get there at the same time when I can ski things closer to home. I think it is a cool idea and maybe it could appeal to some more experienced backcountry users, or at least myself anyways, if they had some steeper avalanche mitigated terrain. Still don't really have a good feel for what the terrain is actually like there which is why I am slightly curious to check it out. Some things would need to line up for me to consider it though, like maybe some snow again.
    FYI, If you are talking about the days that come with the basin pass, they are weekday only.

I might take the wife and puppy up there to use a free day and check it out. They allow dogs now. Why not check it out and maybe spend a little cash to support those guys? I'm not too hardcore to spend a day of skinning and not thinking about avy danger so much. Sounds pretty good to me.

And if it is a good intro to educate the newbs and keep them from killing themselves and others, so be it. No skin off my back. I do wish it was somewhere that I actually waned to ski, like somewhere that got copious snowfall and some alluring terrain, but this looks pretty vanilla on their train maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Re: Fart Sniffing It only takes two, if you want go butz to nutz on the skin track and chat, have at in. And intergroup spacing and keeping your vocal footprint down has been considered courteous in the backcountry for the last 25 years were I ski.
    Sure that's considered courteous everywhere. Totally not the same things as "if I can heard you, you are too close". That's the talk and policy of old curmudgeons. It flies right in the face of other ongoing conversations in the Slide Zone about backcountry interactions.

what does 40$ you get LOL ?

https://bbss.ca/hankinevelyn/

we got a back county resort built/ maintained entirley on volenteer efforts
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Looks like its largely sagebrush meadows and flat aspen glades. Good thing they have avalanche control.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    what does 40$ you get LOL ?

https://bbss.ca/hankinevelyn/

we got a back county resort built/ maintained entirley on volenteer efforts
    But they are clear that the open bowls (those pics by LHutz above) are not part of the resort and have not been controlled. For those saying Bluebird doesn't need AC, you haven't looked at Bear mountain. Here's caltopo with slope shading
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bearslope.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1,002.6 KB 
ID:	404663