Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Holas, amigos! Greetings from the Trans Sierra Norte. Off to an incredibly stressful start. I don't know who read my post last nighthut I watched/heard a guy die of a heart attack on my plane yesterday. Poor dude. But of course my bags didn't make it, so all i have is one shirt, a hoodie, and a pair of pants. Not sure when my luggage and I'll arrive. But better day today, slept in, met cool folks, and ate tacos. There are 88 riders this year. I harbor no illusions of glory, I just want to finish the ride, to be honest.ill post more as I go.
    So how did this shake out?

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Bump bump

I'm registered for BME Arkansas and Big Sky. Soon to register for Hubapalooza in Spokane and NAEC at Silver. Was tempted to throw my hat in the ring for Unbound 100 lotto.....but I'm resisting so far.

Montana Enduro Series?

Who else is racing?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Bump bump

I'm registered for BME Arkansas and Big Sky. Soon to register for Hubapalooza in Spokane and NAEC at Silver. Was tempted to throw my hat in the ring for Unbound 100 lotto.....but I'm resisting so far.

Montana Enduro Series?

Who else is racing?
    How is your shoulder doing? Good to see you're getting back out for some races.

2022 Maggot Bike Racing Thread

Probably sign up for the MES again, though I’m kind of torn on the Helena stage. Whitefish was a fucking blast, so would really like to get back up there for that one. Rendezvous is in my backyard so that’s a given.

More than anything, I’m super pumped to be in a working/living situation that should allow me to ride almost every day of the week. If I’m not a complete beast (fitness wise) by mid summer I fucked up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm considering signing up for a race for the first time ever. My home trails start their winter race series soon and the first round's enduro course is trails I ride regularly. I've been off my bike for a few weeks though due to holiday travel so my fitness is not good and the stages are long, so I'm still not sure. I'll finally be getting to ride again in the next few days, so I'll see how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    How is your shoulder doing? Good to see you're getting back out for some races.
    It's OK. Not sure how to really rate it. Maybe 85%? It functions, it's getting strong again, my ROM is pretty good......and it makes a ton of clicking and popping/clunking noises. Not sure I will ever be able to sleep on my right side again........so I guess it's going good lol.

I feel like I'm too old to try to start racing enduro. Plus a carbon 120mm bike is probably not ideal for that although I hear the helena one is pretty tame and has a good amount of pedaling so I'd probably be ok on the stock aluminum wheels and real tires.

Anyway I should probably find a few things to do other than the usual local races. I should probably try to do pierre's hole and the big sky biggie or something. Butte is just so much easier because I can drive out there the day before, do check in, racer's meeting, camp at the pass, race, and drive home after, so the only expensive part of that is the entry fee.

Would say my 2022 went pretty good. Raced a lot, got on some podiums, won the local hill climb and one of our beer league cx races. Looking forward to trying out the new fancy xc hardtail this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    I feel like I'm too old to try to start racing enduro. Plus a carbon 120mm bike is probably not ideal for that although I hear the helena one is pretty tame and has a good amount of pedaling so I'd probably be ok on the stock aluminum wheels and real tires.

Anyway I should probably find a few things to do other than the usual local races. I should probably try to do pierre's hole and the big sky biggie or something. Butte is just so much easier because I can drive out there the day before, do check in, racer's meeting, camp at the pass, race, and drive home after, so the only expensive part of that is the entry fee.

Would say my 2022 went pretty good. Raced a lot, got on some podiums, won the local hill climb and one of our beer league cx races. Looking forward to trying out the new fancy xc hardtail this spring.
    I feel like I'm too young to start racing enduro. I'm currently 39.5 and the age category at my local race series goes 30-39 then 40+.

Family calendar filled up quickly which will take out bikepacking events for me this year. However, that actually has me somewhat motivated to get in shape for xc.

Local Missoula races and Dakota Five-O. Maybe Butte 50?

Jamal, you should check out Dakota. Great course with good competition, you'd do well but also get pushed by some fast guys. 9/3/23 this year, Spearfish, SD

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Bump bump

Montana Enduro Series?

Who else is racing?
    MES:

Whitefish and JHMR will be the same weekends as last year (as posted above). Helena is still in discussion (changed date for NAEC affects our people resources).

Long distance (50-100 mile or 12/24hr) event recommendations? Particularly out west? I did Tahoe Trail last year primarily because it was local but want to add something to my calendar to keep me motivated this year.

Longer races that have been on my list are:

Pierre's hole in targhee
    Mah dah haay in north dakota
    big sky biggie
    crowsnest pass 100
    fernie singletrack 6
    some of those epic rides series races or whatever they are now

and then there's the butte 100 which i've done a few times and probably will again this year

there's usually a 12/24hr in kalispell and then one in spokane I think but those are less interesting to me. Kalispell's standard XC race, previously the herron hammer and now the spirit bear classic has gotten longer too I think in the 40-50mi range.

I just got coerced into the Butte 50. Only about 100 spots left for all distances as of this morning.

$200, wtf? You get a Jersey with entry but I don't need that, would rather lower cost by $50-75.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    I just got coerced into the Butte 50. Only about 100 spots left for all distances as of this morning.

$200, wtf? You get a Jersey with entry but I don't need that, would rather lower cost by $50-75.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Seems like a lot for an XC race. Many enduro races are like $220+ but the excuse is 4-5x as much timing equipment due to multiple stages vs one start/finish line for an XC.

Yeah I do not like paying for that one. They do put like 7-8 timing mats out there for intermediate splits and puts a lot of stuff out at the aid stations and dinner at the finish line and stuff. And if your event fills up you can charge even more right?

Definitely wish I could pay less and not get a jersey. I don't think I've worn any of the ones I have and the sizing is super inconsistent year to year. 2021 I got a medium and it was huge club fit, so last year I asked for a small, and so of course now it's a racier fit and is too small. Also I usually put off registering until like may. There's room in the 100 for awhile.

Any experience with the High Cascades 100? Checks a lot of boxes on the logistics side for me (calendar, place to stay, etc..).