Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

2022 Maggot Bike Racing Thread

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    WG, is it time for a new thread?

I haven't seen any update on the MES website for 2022 events.

BME Schedule:

5/14-15 - Ironton, MO
    6/25-26 - Big Sky
    7/16-17 - Durango Purgatory
    8/27-28 - Brian Head, UT
    9/17-18 - Bend, OR (Finals)

NAEC at Silver Mt is June 10-12 (of course I have a wedding to attend)

Race schedule for the Twisted Turtle Series in Idaho (seems good for beginners/children):

The Coyote Classic - April 30th, Cross Country
    The Pocatello Pedal Fest - Late May, Permit Pending
    9 to 5 - June 18th, Endurance
    Whit Henry’s Galena Grinder - July 9th, Cross Country + Endurance
    Tamarack Weekend - August 6/7 Cross Country/DH-Enduro
    Grassy Cross - November 12 & 13 - CycloCross
    Sandy Cross - December 3 & 4 - CycloCross
    Races i'm registered so far:

May 14-15 BME Ironton, MO
    June 10-12 NAEC Kellogg, ID
    June 25-26 BME Big Sky, MT
    Sept 17-18 BME Mt. Bachelor, OR

Will do MES Big Sky 100% and I love the Helenduro

Possibly trying to get into one of the Yurp or Whistler EWS100 races.

Or maybe I'll get a girlfriend and stop all this racing addict nonsense
    Last edited by Whiteroom_Guardian; 02-03-2022 at 09:26 AM.

2022 Maggot Bike Racing Thread

Dang man, that’s a packed schedule! No Oaxaca on that list yet?

I saw earlier that the BME Big Sky reservations are already maxed.

Trying to plan things out for the warm season and my schedule is so fucked. BME Brian Head looks like it could be a go solely based on dates.

Though I’d really like to make the Helenduro as I remember you saying it would be a good race to get my feet wet. Also pretty interested in the MES Big Sky and JHMR since they’re so close.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Helenduro definitely a great race if you are just starting enduro. At Big Sky I would race in the AM categories if new. Always a few sections on a couple stages that are kind of as gnarly as it gets anywhere. Lobo is a good example. Both the A and B lines on the chute/wall are ragged now after a few years of racing. I would not be surprised if some kind of C line was cut in this spring.

Signed up for NAEC even though I'm slow. Love Silver and am stoked to ride the race-only trails.

Was gonna race the Montana Enduro Series with some of the high school kiddos I used to coach XC, but the longer they delay announcing the schedule, the more likely I am to just take a big riding trip to interior BC instead of getting my butt kicked at racing.

The MES schedule will be out soon. There won’t be a Big Sky race this year; schedule didn’t work out. We’re running down an alternate but won’t wait much longer. That was the major cause for the delay. All the other dates have been scheduled since fall.

NAEC is sold out at 400. That race is leveling up this year, and I’m looking forward to it. It’ll be a fun weekend.

Lone Peaks Revenge is my favorite race of the year. Hopefully we will see a return in 2023. Thanks for all the hard work that you and the MES crew do to put on the series, evasive_MT!

Thanks- it’s one of ours, too. One of the crew has a family house in the Meadow Village so it’s always a fun house party weekend. We were looking forward to the new Swifty. We’re working on a 2023 date, so it’ll be back.

Bummed no Revenge this year! Probably my favorite race and my best chance at a podium. 4th expert last summer. Damn 18 year old kids!! They fast af!!!

Thanks for doing what you guys do and I'll be at the 2023 race for sure!

BUMP

MES registration is open!

Signed up for all three, see where she goes

Enduro kind of scares me, but maybe I'll try helena.

Haven't really done much planning for the year but I'll probably race the butte 100 again, or something similar. I had a pretty good race last year but think I have more in it, had a mini blow up early on after pushing too hard and not eating enough but recovered pretty well. Not doing that and streamlining my stops at aid stations I think can cut a good amount of time and be racing for a podium spot.

Have a gravel race in polson this saturday, that's always a fun one. I'm in pretty decent shape for march so hoping to be in that front group on the final climb. Then there's a bunch of local stuff coming up soon- crit and road series, montana gravel challenge, bearmouth road race, friday night xc races. Going to be a busy spring as both course setup person and a racer. Then I'll try to get to some of the other xc races in the state like scratchgravel in helena, spirit bear in kalispell, etc..

If you are within 8-10hr drive of Spearfish, I'd highly recommend the Dakota Five-O. Labor Day weekend so you can make a long trip out of it. 50 miles with probably 40 of that on a big singletrack loop. Highly competitive at the front end.

Registration opens on 4/1 (I think). Always sells out.

Jamal, you'd love that race and do well at it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Signed up for the Rendezvous Enduro. Was going to do Helena with my partner but I think we'll just go on a big riding trip instead.

Rumor has it that Targhee will (finally) have a couple gravity races this summer, but I'll believe that once I'm in the start gate.

If anyone makes it to EWS in Maine hit me up. I’ll be working but happy to say hello to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Did a couple of races. We are doing a few more road races in town this year with two sunday crits, the bearmouth road race out in drummond, and then two more quick evening road races after the xc series.

So we had those crits. I'm course setup guy so had to move a lot of cones and signs around and get there real early. It just goes around the block at big sky brewing which works pretty well for a simple course with a little bit of a hill on the finish straight. Like 20 guys week 1, I think 26 yesterday.

First week I was just completely not with it, flailing around in the pack, watching the break go and being too far back to do anything about it. Then attacked the rest of the group and two of us rode around chasing and being chased. Break was 5, I got 6th.

Week two I stuck more toward the front and was a little more active in the race. We were keeping things pretty quick, big group stayed together for most of it, some attempted attacks went. Then we're getting closer to the end, things are slowing down, people are sitting up and not pulling, I take a little dig up the hill and no one follows me so I guess this is my move. Gap goes up. Think it was 6-7 laps to go, a bit over 2min a lap. 3 laps to go and I have some pretty good room. 2 laps to go and they're finally chasing. Last lap and oh shit they're right there but haven't caught me yet. Grows a little on the far side of the course, but then Ben is coming for me. Make it to the last turn, but not to the line. Front of the bunch sprint gets by me right at the line and I get 4th. so close.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0467.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	224.2 KB 
ID:	412048

Name:	20220403_132710_2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	354.7 KB 
ID:	412050

Decent turnout for a crit in montana, no crashes, pretty fun overall.

during course marshalling duties i took some pictures of the ladies. The local jr cx racer who went to europe and worlds won.

Name:	_DSC0735.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1,008.3 KB 
ID:	412051

Name:	_DSC0720.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	925.3 KB 
ID:	412052
    Last edited by jamal; 04-05-2022 at 10:43 AM.

There's been some discussion in the experts thread about lightweight FF helmets.

I needed a new FF for park/DH last season and ended up with a TLD D4 carbon that I found heavily discounted online. At the time I didn't really have any intensions of racing but that changed over the winter and I'm left wondering if this thing is going to bog me down on the transfers this year. It's an extremely lightweight helmet for what it is, but obviously not designed with climbing in mind.

For you guys that have experience with enduro racing, is having a less vented helmet a killer on the climbs? Need to review the race rules, but remember reading that helmets were required to be worn on the transfers. Traditionally I run very hot and am definitely a sweaty Italian. Fully intend to test things out with the current headwear myself, but just curious what has worked for others.

There's been some discussion in the experts thread about lightweight FF helmets.

I needed a new FF for park/DH last season and ended up with a TLD D4 carbon that I found heavily discounted online. At the time I didn't really have any intensions of racing but that changed over the winter and I'm left wondering if this thing is going to bog me down on the transfers this year. It's an extremely lightweight helmet for what it is, but obviously not designed with climbing in mind.

For you guys that have experience with enduro racing, is having a less vented helmet a killer on the climbs? Need to review the race rules, but remember reading that helmets were required to be worn on the transfers. Traditionally I run very hot and am definitely a sweaty Italian. Fully intend to test things out with the current headwear myself, but just curious what has worked for others.
    I really like my TLD Stage helmet. Breathes really well. That said of all the enduro races I have been in I have never seen a DQ for no helmet on a transfer.

Check the race rules. Most races I've done (especially in the U.S.) require a helmet on transfer stages, but some (mostly in Canada) have allowed helmet-less climbs. I've always just owned a proper dh FF that isn't overly vented.

For races where a helmet is required on transfers, I've 1) sucked it up and worn a full face, 2) brought both helmets and strapped the half shell on my pack for descents, and 3) just worn a half shell with goggles for the descent.

All options have their obvious downsides. I think it mostly comes down to how long / steep the climbs are and how rowdy the descents are. On races where my vehicle is accessible in between stages, sometimes I'll mix and match options throughout the race.

Mellow "race" schedule for me this year: volunteering at the NAEC and riding the Carriboo Jack. Really looking forward to not training or putting any added pressure on myself this year. I might actually end up riding more, who knows? It's gonna be a lot of fun!

Brianhead Dark Hollow Super D is back on this year after a long hiatus. Pretty sure I'm in for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I really like my TLD Stage helmet. Breathes really well. That said of all the enduro races I have been in I have never seen a DQ for no helmet on a transfer.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if we do it soon. We’ve given time penalties in the past, and I have DQed a rider for a different rule infraction. A rider argued with the NAEC director about his helmet on a transfer last year and honestly I’m surprised he didn’t get DQed. I don’t care how much someone paid for registration- we paid a lot more for insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin Ben View Post
    Mellow "race" schedule for me this year: volunteering at the NAEC and riding the Carriboo Jack. Really looking forward to not training or putting any added pressure on myself this year. I might actually end up riding more, who knows? It's gonna be a lot of fun!
    Cool- working NAEC is a lot of fun. This year is going to be a hoot. Industry support is dramatically bigger for 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin Ben View Post
    Hoping to do Cariboo Jack and definitely doing Trans Sierra Norte this year. But honestly, my goal is to not DNF, and not ‘compete’. For the shits n’ giggles and tacos and such.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post

Cool- working NAEC is a lot of fun. This year is going to be a hoot. Industry support is dramatically bigger for 2022.
    So friggin stoked to come "race" this thing poorly!

If it rains like it did that one year, I’m out. I mean, that looked like a ‘type 2, this is so awful it’s hilarious type thing’, but I’m a bit old for that.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    If it rains like it did that one year, I’m out. I mean, that looked like a ‘type 2, this is so awful it’s hilarious type thing’, but I’m a bit old for that.
    The Cariboo Jack year that it rained was by far my favorite day of racing ever. I was so far down in the pack before that stage and then managed to claw back a bunch of time by tearing my fender off and running with my bike whenever it got too peanut buttery. Such a good time.