Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Anybody headed to Spearfish for the Dakota 5-0 this weekend? I’m riding it, although perhaps not as fast as I would have been. I took a spill over a berm this weekend and landed on my hip on a rock. Even 48 hours later I am having trouble weighting it and the muscles don’t want to contract much.

Also, Spokane’s Evergreen East folks have reinstituted the fall enduro race Eastoberfest. It’s scheduled Oct 9. I’ll be riding it as my first enduro.

Enjoy Dakota, it was one of my favorite races.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Well, I had to scratch today from the Rendezvous Enduro, which was a bummer. But I got to ride all of it yesterday, which rocked.
    I also got a KOM today on a DH segment ridden by thousands, so that was a cherry on top! (Admittedly a short but VERY fast segment, it made me feel a little less old)
    Last edited by rideit; 09-03-2022 at 06:57 PM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

2022 Maggot Bike Racing Thread

^I scratched as well. Dislocated my shoulder on a stupid fall near Casper lodge on stage 3 in practice yesterday, limp moded the bottom section on Hoback. I probably could have toughed it out today but on unfamiliar trails with race mentality I decided that wasn’t the brightest idea.

Riding down from the tram was probably one of the highlights of my season though. Just so damn cool. Awesome course.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Man, sorry to hear that. What a well run event.

Despite not racing, still had a lot of fun helping out with coverage of Stage 4. Have about 600 shots to go through but here are a few prelim:

bbear's hubby

I'm still blown away at the quality of images coming out of a camera that was released in 2009.

Thanks for posting these EOB.
    I’ll have to see if I can get andrew’s gopro of his crash on Dirty Harry
    He even lost a glove on the crash, which I think is the more rarely observed “bike yard sale”
    skid luxury

Hell yeah, looks gnar!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

That was a fun race to spectate and paint. Race report should be posted eventually. RideIt's KOM is even more impressive considering he's a Teton Valley guy. . And sick photos EOB, those first two are kiddos I dragged over for their second ever Enduros, they did so dang good! Mr. BB looked fast in the top of Dirty Harry, sorry to hear he lost a glove lower down!

Great pics!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Our very own Cy, hucking his meat for Pinkbike!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4CB6682C-AAD2-44FF-B37C-AF1D6576A181.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	779.4 KB 
ID:	425946

Race report from the Dakota Five-O last weekend. Not nearly as impressive as most of you serious cyclists but you have to listen to it anyway.

Race day was warm. Not much temp recovery overnight so the start at 7am was almost 80 degrees. Down in town it hit 100 by early afternoon. Not a ton better up in the hills, definitely in the 90s. Trail was also chewed up from lack of moisture, all the corners were dust bowls. Following close behind a group, you couldn’t really see the trail in front of you in many places.

My goal was to knock an hour off last years time. They reverse the course every year and everybody says this years direction is about 30 mins faster.

I did not have that experience! I made it to mile 35 rest stop at my goal pace having perfectly timed my hydration and nutrition the whole race so far. I felt tired but overall pretty decent, I didn’t think the last climb and ride out would be that bad.

After that aid station the course goes up a pretty steep 1000 foot climb with a bunch of technical sections. It’s a south facing ridge in full sun and my body totally shut down. I was relegated to pushing my bike uphill 20 steps at a time and then panting like a dog to try to bring my temp down. Even once I finally got up and down the ridge and made it to a tame gravel road climb, I had maybe 35% normal power and had to stop once for several minutes to collapse in the shade. Most of that road I was slumped over the bars just trying to keep my legs moving so I’d have some air movement. Tons of people were in the same situation and a bunch dropped. Only 70% of the field finished the race (most years it’s around 90%).

Of course the fast folks finished around the normal time of 3:45 but for the recreational folks, it was a struggle. Type 3 fun for me for sure, ended up over 30 minutes slower than I was last year even with improved fitness and nutrition. Here’s hoping it’s cool and damp next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Race report from the Dakota Five-O last weekend. Not nearly as impressive as most of you serious cyclists but you have to listen to it anyway.

Race day was warm. Not much temp recovery overnight so the start at 7am was almost 80 degrees. Down in town it hit 100 by early afternoon. Not a ton better up in the hills, definitely in the 90s. Trail was also chewed up from lack of moisture, all the corners were dust bowls. Following close behind a group, you couldn’t really see the trail in front of you in many places.

My goal was to knock an hour off last years time. They reverse the course every year and everybody says this years direction is about 30 mins faster.

I did not have that experience! I made it to mile 35 rest stop at my goal pace having perfectly timed my hydration and nutrition the whole race so far. I felt tired but overall pretty decent, I didn’t think the last climb and ride out would be that bad.

After that aid station the course goes up a pretty steep 1000 foot climb with a bunch of technical sections. It’s a south facing ridge in full sun and my body totally shut down. I was relegated to pushing my bike uphill 20 steps at a time and then panting like a dog to try to bring my temp down. Even once I finally got up and down the ridge and made it to a tame gravel road climb, I had maybe 35% normal power and had to stop once for several minutes to collapse in the shade. Most of that road I was slumped over the bars just trying to keep my legs moving so I’d have some air movement. Tons of people were in the same situation and a bunch dropped. Only 70% of the field finished the race (most years it’s around 90%).

Of course the fast folks finished around the normal time of 3:45 but for the recreational folks, it was a struggle. Type 3 fun for me for sure, ended up over 30 minutes slower than I was last year even with improved fitness and nutrition. Here’s hoping it’s cool and damp next year!
    Nice work dude. Temps in the 90s+ is damn near too much for me for racing. You are already demanding a lot of your body and then add in that heat/sun and it's almost impossible to take in enough nutrition/water/electrolytes. Last time I raced in temps that hot it was NAEC 2019 enduro and I thought I was gonna die.....and thats enduro with breaks and shit. XC is crazy. I hope to get back to that kind of shape someday.

Was that the hike from the ballpark aid station to the Bacon station? That one always took it out of me.

Nice effort, it sounded brutal. I'll get back to that race someday.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Was that the hike from the ballpark aid station to the Bacon station? That one always took it out of me.

Nice effort, it sounded brutal. I'll get back to that race someday.
    Yup, that’s the one! They had a bunch of people with handheld garden weed sprayers filled with water up at the bacon station to try to cool people down. It worked for like ten seconds until it evaporated off you then back to baking. Plus after the bacon station there’s a lot of technical ups and downs along the top of the ridge before you get to go down. It was completely demoralizing, but I’m sure in less heat it wouldn’t seem nearly as grueling.

Time to start racing again. Butte and a gravel race a few weeks ago are all I did all summer. Kind of wish I'd done the biggie or pierre's hole (well not with the weather they got this year) or something. But anyway it's cross season. Got my wheels and tires sorted out today and made the cx bike a cx bike again. Normally it has a half frame bag and shit on there and bigger tires

Name:	PXL_20220919_205842122.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	665.5 KB 
ID:	426929

Have one set of clinchers with challenge chicane file treads and inserts (well, "gravel grinders" because I got the 36mm versions), and then tubulars with baby limuses, a pretty good aggressive all purpose tire that is a faster rolling version of their mud tread. They've been my go to for the last few seasons when you get looser and slicker conditions. Pretty impressive how much grip you have in mud when they're down at like 20psi.

Name:	PXL_20220919_194643797.MP.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	482.5 KB 
ID:	426930

Name:  PXL_20220919_200557068.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  170.9 KB

Lot of our racing is on grass these days. This wednesday we're at some baseball fields and an equestrian park which will be mostly grass and gravel path. Then two weeks at a golf course, then a couple races at the brewery, then some races at another golf course.

Ideally I'll get out of town a bit and do some races in other parts of the state and maybe get out to idaho for a few. I hear good things about the sandpoint race.

I just have the Trans Sierra Norte left. But all I am really hoping to do there is finish, TBH. I have just been too dinged up to properly get after it to be competitive, but honestly, at 55, I might do ok in Masters…but that starts at 40, so not a huge advantage.

I am gonna go do some TWE/Portal/GJ/Palisade in two weeks, though, that should help!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I just have the Trans Sierra Norte left. But all I am really hoping to do there is finish, TBH. I have just been too dinged up to properly get after it to be competitive, but honestly, at 55, I might do ok in Masters…but that starts at 40, so not a huge advantage.

I am gonna go do some TWE/Portal/GJ/Palisade in two weeks, though, that should help!
    Hopefully you have dry weather like we did last year. I guess in 2019 or 2018 it rained for like a week and it was straight up luge survival every single stage. Some of those in the wet would be down right terrifying.

I'm pretty envious. Wish I was going back TSN fucking rules. Even if I wasn't injured it's just not in the financial cards right now.

If it’s like that, I’ll just spend the week eating and arguing politics in semi-coherent Spanish

Save your pesos for next spring!

I forgot to post Andrew’s race crash earlier but it’s sorta funny because one second the glove is on and the next, gone. then he gets discombobulated for a sec about losing his glove and whether he should put it back on.
    he had a nice little unintentional one hander a little ways down the trail due to the no glove.

https://youtu.be/49LQ74LxKE4
    skid luxury

Late season bump- just figured I’d share here that MES races at Whitefish and JHMR will be the same weekends in 2023. Whitefish Enduro Pescado on 8/12/23 and JHMR Rendezvous Enduro on 9/2/23. The full schedule will be announced when we nail down a Helenduro date.

Managed to complete the BC Bike Race after all.

A buddy and I entered the old guy team category thinking it would give us motivation to get out and ride more all year.

That was a success, but it still felt like being in an exam I did not study for.

Thanks for the tire recommendations, I tried the barzzos in a test race and flatted twice. May have been a valve issue more than anything but ended up going on ardent race. They took everything from Apex shale to silverstar loam at speed and with confidence. The only time it got a bit hairy was pebbles over hardback where I got significant drift.

Being in the old man category our competition consisted of only a handful of teams - only three of which finished. So just needed to survive to get the podium! So survive we did.

Ended up with just under 300km (including warm ups/cool downs, sighting laps etc.) and just under 10,000m of vert over the week.

Only upgrade to my Ripmo was new We Are One wheels, a 28t chainring and some nice xtr pedals. I was def over biked compared to most - but once I settled for the "everyone is going to pass me on the up anyway - might as well enjoy the down" I had some just amazing descents and don't think I would have enjoyed a little bike that much.

I would like to go back and do Beowulf in silverstar again without having to try and pass and get passed by 50-100 of my new friends on the downhill. Similar for a couple of the other downhills like canoe mountain. Wonderful descents - just not used to riding with so many folks!

All in all a great week, wonderfully organized event, highly recommended. Probably never going to do it again!

Nice work!

Holas, amigos! Greetings from the Trans Sierra Norte. Off to an incredibly stressful start. I don't know who read my post last nighthut I watched/heard a guy die of a heart attack on my plane yesterday. Poor dude. But of course my bags didn't make it, so all i have is one shirt, a hoodie, and a pair of pants. Not sure when my luggage and I'll arrive. But better day today, slept in, met cool folks, and ate tacos. There are 88 riders this year. I harbor no illusions of glory, I just want to finish the ride, to be honest.ill post more as I go.