Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Musician/studio maggots?

Reposted from Padded Room since I forgot we have a music forum...thanks Ötzi.

Since our cross-section is broad, and we align on many things in life, I went looking for a thread on musician maggots. I found a guitar show-and-tell thread and that's about it. If we already have a look-at-me thread for music, point me to it!

I've been into writing/recording/playing live since I was in high school 30+ years ago. Nowadays I mostly collect gear and hang onto it for decades like a poser but in the last couple years I've rekindled my love for making music, for a specific purpose: video/film scoring for the bush flying short films I was making before kids and covid. That segued into an obsession with synthesizers but also an ever-present love affair with guitars. I always wanted to be Hans Zimmer or Clinton Shorter or Robert Del Naja or Clint Mansell but lack the talent.

I will return to edit this and spam you samples and gear slut pics if anyone takes the bait and hangs their dong out too.

Edit: ok i'll just hang my dong out and be vulnerable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P4NuNXqv54 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOQhUQhtcZI and of course I keep a Soundcloud profile.

There's no real purpose to this other than to share the stoke with other mags. Ideally maybe collab if anyone else is making quality films that need music,
    Last edited by bio-smear; 01-31-2022 at 04:12 PM.

I'll bite. I used to release experimental/ambient/soundscape stuff under a few aliases, mainly SunDummy, from 1995 until around 2006.

Here's my Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7p...mIm5iI7yJ7HRvA

I've also got a ton of very heavy improv guitar releases (think Mainliner, Skullflower, etc.) that may eventually get put on Youtube.

I haven't recorded anything new in a few years, and sold all my studio gear (mixers, synths, effects, etc) a decade ago. Now I mostly just fiddle around with acoustic guitars for fun.

Some days I think of setting up another studio, but I'm too lazy to bother these days.

Checking in to this thread.
    Made this years ago with a $5 CD of sound bites.
    Hope you enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9t_jVXJ9y4&t=19s
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Live drums

Studio.drums.

Cover tune for something familiar..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I'll bite. I used to release experimental/ambient/soundscape stuff under a few aliases, mainly SunDummy, from 1995 until around 2006.

Here's my Youtube channel:

I've also got a ton of very heavy improv guitar releases (think Mainliner, Skullflower, etc.) that may eventually get put on Youtube.

I haven't recorded anything new in a few years, and sold all my studio gear (mixers, synths, effects, etc) a decade ago. Now I mostly just fiddle around with acoustic guitars for fun.

Some days I think of setting up another studio, but I'm too lazy to bother these days.
    That's rad. It's tough to improve on what you can do with just a Macbook Pro and Ableton Live, but there's something about tangible, tactile hardware. Mostly being able to shoot videos of blinking lights and feel cool.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Live drums

Studio.drums.

Fuck yeah! I love this place cuz you're all as old or older than me. Nice drumming.

I am digging the sound, bio-smear.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post
    That's rad. It's tough to improve on what you can do with just a Macbook Pro and Ableton Live, but there's something about tangible, tactile hardware. Mostly being able to shoot videos of blinking lights and feel cool.
    I mostly used "real" gear, although I did experiment a bit with Acid Pro, but found it to be too limiting. Programming knobs to control VSTs via MIDI always bored me; hardware all the way.

Reposted from Padded Room since I forgot we have a music forum...thanks Ötzi.

Since our cross-section is broad, and we align on many things in life, I went looking for a thread on musician maggots. I found a guitar show-and-tell thread and that's about it. If we already have a look-at-me thread for music, point me to it!

I've been into writing/recording/playing live since I was in high school 30+ years ago. Nowadays I mostly collect gear and hang onto it for decades like a poser but in the last couple years I've rekindled my love for making music, for a specific purpose: video/film scoring for the bush flying short films I was making before kids and covid. That segued into an obsession with synthesizers but also an ever-present love affair with guitars. I always wanted to be Hans Zimmer or Clinton Shorter or Robert Del Naja or Clint Mansell but lack the talent.

I will return to edit this and spam you samples and gear slut pics if anyone takes the bait and hangs their dong out too.

Edit: ok i'll just hang my dong out and be vulnerable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P4NuNXqv54 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOQhUQhtcZI and of course I keep a Soundcloud profile.

There's no real purpose to this other than to share the stoke with other mags. Ideally maybe collab if anyone else is making quality films that need music,
    The equipment has gotten so amazing. I remember when Kraftwerk was cutting edge. So many possibilities. No wonder so many new sounds, and revisions of old sounds are keeping things fresh. Keep on keeping on youngsters!

I mostly used "real" gear, although I did experiment a bit with Acid Pro, but found it to be too limiting. Programming knobs to control VSTs via MIDI always bored me; hardware all the way.
    Hell yeah. I came from a time before DAWs were worth a shit so hardware sequencers were the way. But I've come around. I love visual automation.

Hell yeah. I came from a time before DAWs were worth a shit so hardware sequencers were the way. But I've come around. I love visual automation.
    I’m intrigued by modern software; I might have to get back into it. The minimalist in me sees the advantages…

Here’s the last thing I created, made entirely in Acid:

https://youtu.be/5z2WTITWtZE

I've also got a ton of very heavy improv guitar releases (think Mainliner, Skullflower, etc.) that may eventually get put on Youtube. .
    Been diving in a little more...pretty badass. I'm hearing hits of Cold Cut, Prodigy, Orbital, the odd DnB with early ambient styles. Edit...put on some Cold Cut then yours and forgot it wasn't Cold Cut!

I was in this band in late high school and college called Manifest Vision. Never really settled into a genre, was all pickings of old school new wave, industrial, and breakbeat trip hop of the 90s. But rooted firmly in emo lyrics about my bad girlfriends.

I’m intrigued by modern software; I might have to get back into it. The minimalist in me sees the advantages…

Here’s the last thing I created, made entirely in Acid:

https://youtu.be/5z2WTITWtZE
    Yeah! This is dope! Did you produce these beats from scratch? Or sample loops?

Samples from a freeware site I stumbled onto, some of them combined to make weirder versions. Kinda a fun exercise!

Gearslut time. I know this is some shameless "look at me" but also hoping others will share their kits. Before covid and before I sold my house, I was getting a nice bedroom setup going. No skiing. No flying. Kids coming all out of our asses. I had to channel my juices into something, which is partly why my interest in music was rekindled after like 15 years of not touching an instrument.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	studio-blue-1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	510.2 KB 
ID:	403933

Then we packed it all in boxes and moved in with my inlaws but I was addicted to buying gear so i managed to start building a little setup around my desk again. Soon it will be time to combine it all like Voltron. BTW an iPad is about the best value for a synthesizer there is.

Name:	IMG_20210411_094831.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	622.9 KB 
ID:	403934

Added a Roland System-1m as maybe dipping a toe into modular synths, mostly just CV. Kinda underwhelming.

Name:	IMG_20210430_231117.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	711.6 KB 
ID:	403935

Addiction in full swing I decided to indulge on something I've always wanted since I was a teenager: a nice hollowbody. Like to swing differently than the masses and I have a thing for Japanese guitars so instead of a Gibson I went vintage Yamaha. 1971 SA-50 from Mike and Mike's out of Seattle. It was magic at first mediocre lick from yours truly, but inspired me to channel Robert Smith and lay down this track named for the moment when i was in the throws of mortgage refinancing. The original hardcase from '71 was stank though. I had to give it a shampooing.

Name:	IMG_20210328_123342.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	672.3 KB 
ID:	403936

Sweet setup! So much blinking…. Lol

Those Yamaha SAs are legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Those Yamaha SAs are legendary.
    I fumble my way around an axe but this thing was just a dream to play from the get-go. Such a nice instrument.

I fumble my way around an axe but this thing was just a dream to play from the get-go. Such a nice instrument.
    You are not healthy for me. I have enough guitars but I really want a traveler speedster, and now you have reminded me that I've kinda always wanted a hollow body Gretsch.

Knock it off.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    You are not healthy for me. I have enough guitars but I really want a traveler speedster, and now you have reminded me that I've kinda always wanted a hollow body Gretsch.

Knock it off.
    Dude. Eddie would go...down to Guitar Center and buy that new Gretsch.

You may or may not want a new Gretsch. The new ones are decent enough players but they are a shadow of their former quality. Very affordable though. Old Gretches on the other hand, they are something else.

I've had my finger on the trigger of a Reverend Airsonic way too many times.

Sharpening my new axe on the ski mount bench. Yes, those are pink strings.

Sweet setups. I use a Roland Keyboard & Logic DAW. I play Sax and need to get a good microphone as it's hard to get a good sample. I love to make music and a whole weekend feels like a few hours. Then life gets busy and I don't play for months

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Sharpening my new axe on the ski mount bench. Yes, those are pink strings.

And now I need colored strings. Thanks for that.

He doesn't post much these days, but pegleg is a ripping dobro player, been in a number of bands.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post

Knock it off.
    I have a great 1970's Japanese (Matsumoko) knockoff of a Country Gentleman made by Ventura. They're out there if you don't want to break the bank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.