Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I had the TLT 5P, and bought the Dalbello Quantum Asolo Factory Alpine Touring and the Scarpa F1 LT and brought them in to GregL to fit and ended up w/ the Scarpa. It’s better in every way from the TLT. Way stiffer. I thought I was going to get the Dalbello because carpet fit was better, but the Scarpa with a punch and molding was great. By the way I tried the TLT6 in whatever stiffest version, and I didn’t think it was significantly stiffer/better than my TLT 5Ps.
    @plugboots - can you share a bit more what you're skiing and driving with the F1 LT, and what you like about them? I toured on the TLT5C for a few years, and hated it. I primarily tour on the Hawx XTD 130 now (with Backland 107s for most touring). But like the OP, I'm still curious if there's something that fits the lighter weight/more ROM bill for spring tours and longer days that wouldn't sacrifice too much, at least for terrain that's not too technical.

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    I bought Stopper's previous pair of Zero G pros and they replaced Hawx xtd 130s. For me the Zero g's ski significantly better. My experience with the XTD was quite stiff off the top and then completely folding as you got into the flex. My guess is that this is from the lower bellowing out, and may be related to my very low volume foot. But it was a pretty stark difference. Somewhat notable is that the zero g shell is actually heavier than the (1st gen) XTD in a 29.5. This doesn't seem to be true for the smaller sizes which suggests to me that tecnica recognized you need to beef up the amount of plastic as the boot shell gets larger, in a way that maybe atomic didn't?
    Apparently Atomic improved the boot in this regard for this season. More material in some critical locations so that the boot does not fold that easily.

agreed w/ WhetherMan, my 2019 ultra XTDs are stiff then fold completely. Hearing it laid out like that really made it click for me what I'm not liking about them currently.

I also moved the forward lean back to the lowest setting because I was feeling that off-balance forward lean initially, maybe that's a tall guy issue?

Big guy light touring boot

Quote Originally Posted by 3pin View Post
    @plugboots - can you share a bit more what you're skiing and driving with the F1 LT, and what you like about them? I toured on the TLT5C for a few years, and hated it. I primarily tour on the Hawx XTD 130 now (with Backland 107s for most touring). But like the OP, I'm still curious if there's something that fits the lighter weight/more ROM bill for spring tours and longer days that wouldn't sacrifice too much, at least for terrain that's not too technical.
    I definitely treat touring different than alpine style skiing and I have a Cochise 130 that I’ve paired with a Tecton and a 196 Lhasa Pow for days I ski with friends that climb slow. I switch the heel and toe blocks and ski the Cochise with a lot of different alpine skis when I’m at a resort.
    For BC, I ski mostly a 190 Praxis BC w/UL build and Carbon w/ATK Raider, and sometimes my old beat up first gen. DPS 112 RP 190 w/ Dynafits when it’s low tide/low angle high avie stuff.
    The TLTPs worked great considering they were first gen. etc. I skied them with the tongue in, but they definitely had limitations pressing forward. Laterally, they are pretty stiff, and paired with the Praxis are quick and light. Climb great, and were unlike anything when they came out. I was waiting for a replacement and wanted the Travers, but glad I waited with the recall, and nobody carried them anyway. I also tried the Dalbello thing, but it carpet tested softer, and GregL gave me some great feedback.
    The F1LT climbs basically the same, requires no tongue fiddling at the top, stiffer laterally, is a lot more upright, (which I prefer), and is a ton stiffer forward. It’s not smooth, or progressive pressing forward, but in this weight class, seems to be the big trade off. I kinda don’t care.
    I think w/300 gram bindings and that weight class of ski they’re great.

Non technical, local run from a couple weeks ago, 30” consolidated powder w/ F1s and the DPSs

Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Hey Plugboots, was that Cougar after the big dump? We skied the shit out of the Hoot Owl side

No that was in Utah.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Stenis View Post
    Apparently Atomic improved the boot in this regard for this season. More material in some critical locations so that the boot does not fold that easily.
    I had the same problem with the XTD 130s. Ended up with an aftermarket extra tongue from a Whistler boot fitter shop. It helped enough for touring but also added weight. I’m 210ish for what it’s worth. I’m on a Cochise 130 this year for my daily driver in area and side country and love it. The Guide Pro would be my light boot of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stopper View Post
    Glad to hear those Zero G’s are treating you well. For what it’s worth since we seem to have similar size and feedback on gear, I tried the Hoji Free for half a season and ultimately sold them. The boot itself is stiffer than the Zero G but I don’t think they walk as well. The one step ski system never really got the cuff tight enough either. The big killer for me on the Free was the extreme forward lean and something that most don’t mention, the boot board ramp. At 17 degrees and I believe 6-7 degrees respectively, these both put me way too far forward and on my toes. This fried my quads and ultimately had me skiing backseat. I can’t confirm if it’s my style or true for taller humans with long legs but this doesn’t work. I couldn’t get off my tips to keep them from hooking.
    They've been great. As the pivots wear out I may buy another pair. Excellent feedback on the hoji, thanks. Bummed to hear it doesn't walk as well as the Zero g, that was the big selling point for me. I actually prefer a fairly forward to lean so that part may still work.

Quote Originally Posted by Stenis View Post
    I read they did this in the standard hawx, nice to hear they're doing the same for the xtd, I think that boot would be much improved.

Quote Originally Posted by eSock View Post
    agreed w/ WhetherMan, my 2019 ultra XTDs are stiff then fold completely. Hearing it laid out like that really made it click for me what I'm not liking about them currently.

I also moved the forward lean back to the lowest setting because I was feeling that off-balance forward lean initially, maybe that's a tall guy issue?
    As a tall guy that prefers quite a bit of forward lean I think it may be more an anatomy thing, along with ski style of course. But I always have to add spoilers (and sometimes foam) to take up room behind my calf.

Quote Originally Posted by whambat View Post
    I had the same problem with the XTD 130s. Ended up with an aftermarket extra tongue from a Whistler boot fitter shop. It helped enough for touring but also added weight. I’m 210ish for what it’s worth. I’m on a Cochise 130 this year for my daily driver in area and side country and love it. The Guide Pro would be my light boot of choice.
    I'd love to here more about your experience with the pulse labs proflex. Did they help keep the XTD from collapsing later in the flex or mostly stiffen them up off the top? I still have a pair but was too annoyed by my interactions with the company to ever use them.
    Here's a thread with some other experiences including some relevant boot mods from GoldenBC for large humans trying to macgyver touring boots
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...e-Labs-Proflex

Quote Originally Posted by The Stopper View Post
    Glad to hear those Zero G’s are treating you well. For what it’s worth since we seem to have similar size and feedback on gear, I tried the Hoji Free for half a season and ultimately sold them. The boot itself is stiffer than the Zero G but I don’t think they walk as well. The one step ski system never really got the cuff tight enough either. The big killer for me on the Free was the extreme forward lean and something that most don’t mention, the boot board ramp. At 17 degrees and I believe 6-7 degrees respectively, these both put me way too far forward and on my toes. This fried my quads and ultimately had me skiing backseat. I can’t confirm if it’s my style or true for taller humans with long legs but this doesn’t work. I couldn’t get off my tips to keep them from hooking.
    I’m a tall-ish (6’1”) guy, that loves (skiing Full Tilt Classics for 30 years) lot’s of forward lean and ramp angle. I actually found my Hoji’s a little too upright at first, but seem to have adjusted. I’m also skiing skis (Wailer 112s) with a very rearward mount, and conventional (now dated) technique that suits this setup. I have lighter boots, with a greater range of movement, but find the Hoji’s (even with Luxury liners) walk just fine for 90% of my days, and ski way better.

I also think most of these conversations would be a lot more constructive if we posted videos of ourselves skiing, if that were actually possible on this app.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZdHS-h...dium=copy_link

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post

I'd love to here more about your experience with the pulse labs proflex. Did they help keep the XTD from collapsing later in the flex or mostly stiffen them up off the top? I still have a pair but was too annoyed by my interactions with the company to ever use them.
    Here's a thread with some other experiences including some relevant boot mods from GoldenBC for large humans trying to macgyver touring boots
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...e-Labs-Proflex
    I have to say the tongue made the boot strong enough for me for real skiing. I still think I can fold the boot if I was slamming into moguls, but for backcountry I’d say it’s acceptable. I ordered them from Pulse when they first had them on kickstarter. I’m still not thrilled with the XTD as it hasn’t lived up to the promises of the sales pitch, they were originally selling it as a full on hybrid boot like the Cochise. I liked the fit of the boot and it’s performance to a point, but it was a joke at the ski area and couldn’t drive big charging skis all that well. While I liked the tongue addition, I’ll admit the XTD have stayed in the closet since I got the new Cochises, they have been the most comfortable boot while still keeping full performance even at the ski area. But, I also haven’t really toured much this year and if I was heading for big tours, I’ll probably pull the XTDs out just for the weight savings.

I found the original Atomic Backland Carbon with a ProTour wrap and the TLT6 powerstrap to be stiffer than the TLT6P and the F1 with the same liner. Whether it's stiff enough for what you want, I can't say. But I won't avoid hucking in them in powder conditions and they still stomp a decent sized air if I'm feeling on point, so that's saying something at least, even if I'm not your size. However, they give up a lot of suspension and some stiffness compared to the next category up.

I also have XTDs and tried ZeroG Pros with powerwraps. They ski similarly with the same liner. The XTDs are a bit stiffer which is what I wanted. Definitely a big jump upwards in ski performance, in not just stiffness but suspension too. For me, the weight difference isn't a big deal, but these boots don't tour anywhere near as good as the Backland class of boots. The ROM and stride of it is too constrained. It feels like a boot instead of a running shoe. So I really do prefer the Backlands for long distances tours and yoyos where the skiing is more ho-hum - an average midwinter line or objective line. These are more for skiing a sweet line at speed, possibly with multiple airs, etc, but when I have to really tour to get there.

I also have a Cochise 130 Pro with Powerwraps, and that's definitely one step up from the XTDs and ZeroG Pros, which I could blow through the flex on, occasionally - usually with large airs or skiing hard in firm snow. I use these inbounds, sidecountry, when traveling, and when touring to serious freeride lines (big hucks, major pillow lines, etc.).
    Last edited by Lindahl; 02-03-2022 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I found the original Atomic Backland Carbon with a ProTour wrap and the TLT6 powerstrap to be stiffer than the TLT6P and the F1 with the same liner. Whether it's stiff enough for what you want, I can't say. But I won't avoid hucking in them in powder conditions and they still stomp a decent sized air if I'm feeling on point, so that's saying something at least, even if I'm not your size. However, they give up a lot of suspension and some stiffness compared to the next category up.

I also have XTDs and tried ZeroG Pros with powerwraps. Definitely a big jump upwards in ski performance, in not just stiffness but suspension too. For me, the weight difference isn't a big deal, but these boots don't tour anywhere near as good as the Backland class of boots. The ROM and stride of it is too constrained. So I really do prefer the Backlands for long distances tours and yoyos where the skiing is more ho-hum. These are more for skiing a sweet line at speed, possibly with multiple airs, etc, but when I have to really tour to get there.

I also have a Cochise 130 Pro with Powerwraps, and that's definitely one step up from the XTDs and ZeroG Pros, which I could blow through the flex on, occasionally - usually with large airs or skiing hard in firm snow. I use these inbounds, when traveling and for sidecountry or when touring to serious freeride lines (big hucks, major pillow lines, etc.).
    Thanks Lindahl, I think you are on to something here. The overall weight doesn’t bother me, 300 grams isn’t that much compared to my overall weight, and no where in my near future do I see an skimo gear.

I’m looking for a better RoM and stride, along with something I can keep buckled for more then 5 min, then anything else. If I gain some suspension and ski performance, I’ll be really happy. I know I’m not going to find a 1,300 gram or 1,000 gram boot that skis like the Head Raptor 140RS I inbounds ski in, but that’s also not the point. I’ll say I’m getting a bit older and am fine with a touring boot that just skis well. If I’m going to ski hard in the backcountry, I’m taking my sled there and then weight doesn’t really matter, but if I’m going for a long walk in a National park or wilderness, then it does.

A trip to see GregL I think is my best option. It’s always a nice afternoon to hang out with the Evo guys in Seattle, talk gear, and get set up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums