Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) Mexico Beta Por Favor

Thinking of making a run south to get some warm weather and a little salt water. Puerto Penasco is is not that big of a road trip for us and I have never been. Anyone been? Things I should know? Food? Lodging? Camping maybe? Any and all input is welcome...
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

hoyt axton can tell you all about it--

https://youtu.be/3HlDN4JMCY8

These are the best oysters I have ever had. Ate 2 dozen cooked, 1 dozen raw. BYOB.

It's one of my favorite places in the world.

https://goo.gl/maps/Xj5EcLYHhVm94YBr5

I've been many times. Camped, hotel, airbnb.

Make sure your airbnb does not have roosters as they make tequila hurt very early in the morning.

Plenty of nice special lady friends too. Ask to see their card.

It's really nice to road trip down the coast to get out of gringoville. I've also done hundreds of miles of 4wd too. Bring extra ketchup for those ventures and don't drive at night.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

My MIL had a place there--it was a long time age so my beta is useless now, but two things haven't changed: mind the stingrays and don't leave stuff too close to the water at low tide because the tide there is huge. Organ Pipes NM on the way is worth a visit.

When we used to go running water and electricity were hit and miss. I imagine that's no longer the case. Shrimp were fresh, huge, and cheap. Then the Japanese ships came.
    It was a favorite spring break spot for ASU and U of A.

More cartel crime these days than has been in the past, my folks stopped going because of it. And the policia are corrupt as heck, which is nothing new but always good to remember. Personally, I think you'll be fine if you just mind your p's and q's and don't walk alone or drive at night, would suck to get kidnapped or robbed.

Reading the travel advisories for Mexico is depressing to me though as there is so much of that country I still want to see and explore but will never be able to as a solo female traveler. And to think I used to sneak down to tj every weekend with my gal pals when in high school in San Diego so I could legally drink, and this was in the late eighties during height of war on drugs, lol.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

Anyways, if you have a little extra time, I'd go just a little further west and south to San Felipe, border crossing at San Luis south of Yuma then hop on 5, the road is good getting there, usually. I've done the drive from Sonoyta to San Luis also but I wouldn't recommend it these days. San Felipe is sooooo chill. Better beaches IMO, drivable long ass beaches, and so many cool beach camps to choose from. And the tacos.....holy shit they've got it dialed...a fabulous place to decompress. .02

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    More cartel crime these days than has been in the past, my folks stopped going because of it. And the policia are corrupt as heck, which is nothing new but always good to remember. Personally, I think you'll be fine if you just mind your p's and q's and don't walk alone or drive at night, would suck to get kidnapped or robbed.

Reading the travel advisories for Mexico is depressing to me though as there is so much of that country I still want to see and explore but will never be able to as a solo female traveler. And to think I used to sneak down to tj every weekend with my gal pals when in high school in San Diego so I could legally drink, and this was in the late eighties during height of war on drugs, lol.

Anyways, if you have a little extra time, I'd go just a little further west and south to San Felipe, border crossing at San Luis south of Yuma then hop on 5, the road is good getting there, usually. I've done the drive from Sonoyta to San Luis also but I wouldn't recommend it these days. San Felipe is sooooo chill. Better beaches IMO, drivable long ass beaches, and so many cool beach camps to choose from. And the tacos.....holy shit they've got it dialed...a fabulous place to decompress. .02
    Ok now THAT is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! San Felipe wasnt even on my radar - somehow I had it in my mind that it was way further than it actually is (looks like it would only add another 2 hours of drive time). I went to a JUCO in southern Cali and San Felip was one of my favorite destinations. I havent been there in years though. It does indeed suck how the cartel crime has taken over Mexico, so sad to see. Plus chill sounds so much better than Puerto Penasco in March, I have a feeling the spring break scene will be a major annoyance!
    Thanks for the suggestion, I believe I have just changed our destination. Although Makers oyster place has my mouth drooling!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Ya Teleee, you do Not want be there anytime around SB……We did that trip for like eight years in a row, starting when the minions were six…..We’d drive ABQ to PHX, spend the night. From PHX to my buddies condo in PP was 4.5 hours. Crossed the border at Lukeville, drove through Sonoyta (be very careful there), then two lane blacktop all the way to Puerto…..Wherever you cross the border, be really careful on the MEX side, the first time we drove through it felt like Frogger meets Mad Max……As far as PP itself, it’s awesome, or at least it was…..Do it. And if you’re going through the Q, hit me up. I owe you and the Mrs. adult beverages…..
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Ya Teleee, you do Not want be there anytime around SB……We did that trip for like eight years in a row, starting when the minions were six…..We’d drive ABQ to PHX, spend the night. From PHX to my buddies condo in PP was 4.5 hours. Crossed the border at Lukeville, drove through Sonoyta (be very careful there), then two lane blacktop all the way to Puerto…..Wherever you cross the border, be really careful on the MEX side, the first time we drove through it felt like Frogger meets Mad Max……As far as PP itself, it’s awesome, or at least it was…..Do it. And if you’re going through the Q, hit me up. I owe you and the Mrs. adult beverages…..
    Thanks man! I think we will stay west of the Q, although my brother lives in Sandia Park so we will be there at some point and I will look you up for sure! Jax has planted the San Felipe seed in my brain and with the possibility of spring break madness in Puerto Penasco I think it will be worth the extra 2 hours of drive time!
    Hope you are feeling better, I got bit by the covid bug this week (which explains what I am doing on the TGRz on a Saturday, so I feel you pain, there were a couple days this week that felt like I got hit by a bus.

Haha, no worries man….Hope you feel better and have a great trip! I’m good, currently in the sprawling metropolis of Amarillo for Thing Twos Volleyball tourney…..This place is a shithole.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post

Let's get a 1st gen 4runner and tag team it.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Wish I had a first gen, was looking at some online just last night. My old F150 broke down last time I was in SF, had a pulley shit the bed. Local mechanic fixed for minimal pesos in less than an hour. I was so grateful I took the Ford down there as the parts were no problemo. Don't be taking no BMW down there, unless it's of the 2-wheeled variety...

One other thing I forgot to mention is that there are no cruise ships in SF as opposed to PP, those things bring the locust-type tourists. No thanks.

And oh yeah, the tides. Don't forget about the tides if parked on the beach. They come back much quicker than you think.

Tellee keep us posted on where you end up.

And just an FYI Teleee, both the CDC and the State Dept. put a Level 4 travel warning on all of Mexico this morning, for both high rates of COVID and increased drug violence….Level 4 is basically a “do not travel to” warning, so do with that what you will……Be safe.
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    And just an FYI Teleee, both the CDC and the State Dept. put a Level 4 travel warning on all of Mexico this morning, for both high rates of COVID and increased drug violence….Level 4 is basically a “do not travel to” warning, so do with that what you will……Be safe.
    Saw that. Hard to say what the rates are. Probably not as bad as Utah/Idaho. I’m headed to Guanajuato in the morning.

Still agonizing on where to go, my vote is San Felipe, Mrs Teleee is voting for Puerto Pensacola, the cruise ship thing just might push it to my side, thanks for that Jax.
    Bob Voyage ZZZ, I kind of have the same thought as you. Can’t imagine it being much worse that Idaho/Wyoming and now that we are triple backed and recently infected I am not as concerned… drug and gang violence does scare me a little - I figure as long as I keep some chubbier, wealthier looking whiteys around I should he semi safe.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums