Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    theres leading a life of sucess and theres leading a life of value
    50k of stokeless spews a lot to filter through but bless his valueless heart he has much posting sucess
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Can't we just go back to a time of walk on trams at Teton Village

Quote Originally Posted by Antiviral View Post
    Can't we just go back to a time of walk on trams at Teton Village
    Like two weeks ago during dry January?
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Almost looks like, "Battle of the Bastards."

Meanwhile, there are so many rich people skiing, that it has gotten really crowded at every ski hill.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gets-ski-170303102.html

The crowds at ski resorts have heated up long-simmering tensions about how much diversity the sport should have and what kind of efforts should be made to get a wider range of people on the mountain.

“People say, ‘The mountain is too crowded. We don’t want any new people here. Go home, tourists. You aren’t a real skier,’” said Kirsten Lynch, the CEO of Vail Resorts, which owns 36 properties in the United States.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    This is what I don't get...

WTF are they waiting for? What good is all that wealth if you don't blow it at some point?
    Apparently you aren’t one of their kids who is going to inherit all that loot.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/video...-road-in-vail/

...and some jerk on the Vail city council wants to make this a no parking zone, because he this it makes Vail look crowded.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Chatted today with a friend that fought the mountain parking battle at steaux
    On a Friday.

JH actually did a good job with the Stilson lot.
    Hated it at first.

But in hindsight, pay parking at the hill, and free remote parking and free bus rides can actually work.

First world problems. But yeah, vail ruined Stowe.
    Among many other places.

Oh well. Progress. I guess.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Antiviral View Post
    Can't we just go back to a time of PARKING AT THE UPPER LOT (FOR FREE) AND SKIING DOWN TO THE tram at Teton Village
    FIFY.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post

...and some jerk on the Vail city council wants to make this a no parking zone, because he this it makes Vail look crowded.
    Hilarious. What’s he going to do about the gondola lines that extend back to the covered bridge or lift 5 extending a quarter mile back up the bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post

I know him well and he's hardly a jerk. I also support removing frontage road parking.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Hilarious. What’s he going to do about the gondola lines that extend back to the covered bridge or lift 5 extending a quarter mile back up the bowl?
    Can you perhaps imagine a world where that wouldn't be a thing?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I know him well and he's hardly a jerk. I also support removing frontage road parking.
    So like everyone should park down in avon in those dirt lots waiting to get developed then take the bus to ski in vail sounds alot like breckenridge wait never mind

One thing for sure, a monorail would never work.

The ultimate corporate ski vision someday will be when one liftline goes right out to the parking lot, so you can just get in line right out of the car. Then the other liftline goes all the way up the hill to the top of the lift, so you can get off the lift, down the ramp and right into the liftline! That way you can put on your ski outfit and get all the photos, and do lots of posing in the line, but not all that dangerous sliding. Perfect!

I went to okemo Friday, for the “storm of the century”, two inches of ice followed by 6” of sleet. It was the most miserable experience of my entire life at a ski area. Okemo used to be great, not terrain wise, but lift and access wise. Since the assholes started running it, it’s an amazing shit show. And 10000% understaffed.

Just like out west, we have zero housing, there is no where for anyone to live on a wage from a ski area here, but more importantly there is just no one to work.

Stratton on the other hand has actually managed to not get any more insane honestly since ikon started there. Maybe 10% but far less then okemo and Mt snow.

at this point, the number of people day tripping from
    NYC to ski for the day and go home is unbelievable and honestly not sustainable with an increase in price. Stratton has managed to price out a lot of people, same as killington. That $150+ day ticket starts to really hurt if someone doesn’t have a pass. There is also no where to stay in Vermont near a ski area for less then $300 a night and act 250 and locals aren’t planning on building mass housing.

I think that epic and ikon both will increase by double in cost and both companies will have won again. There have hooked some of the new people to skiing and will retain them, and the ski areas know that all of us skiers will keep buying our passes because it is still more economic when you ski 20 or more days. But I wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised to see $1500 passes from both epic and ikon, it will cut the crowds and increase profit.

And just to prove there’s no one to work, Stratton’s huge employee housing hotel sits vacant for the 4th year in a row. It’s on the magic access rd. Could be a sweet place to own soon…

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    One thing for sure, a monorail would never work.
    It's really more of a Shelbyville idea.

Re:$1500 pass prices ...

Pretty sure I paid $1200 in 1994 for my full Squaw Valley pass when I moved here.

So....?

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    I went to okemo Friday, for the “storm of the century”, two inches of ice followed by 6” of sleet. It was the most miserable experience of my entire life at a ski area. Okemo used to be great, not terrain wise, but lift and access wise. Since the assholes started running it, it’s an amazing shit show. And 10000% understaffed.

Just like out west, we have zero housing, there is no where for anyone to live on a wage from a ski area here, but more importantly there is just no one to work.

Stratton on the other hand has actually managed to not get any more insane honestly since ikon started there. Maybe 10% but far less then okemo and Mt snow.

at this point, the number of people day tripping from
    NYC to ski for the day and go home is unbelievable and honestly not sustainable with an increase in price. Stratton has managed to price out a lot of people, same as killington. That $150+ day ticket starts to really hurt if someone doesn’t have a pass. There is also no where to stay in Vermont near a ski area for less then $300 a night and act 250 and locals aren’t planning on building mass housing.

I think that epic and ikon both will increase by double in cost and both companies will have won again. There have hooked some of the new people to skiing and will retain them, and the ski areas know that all of us skiers will keep buying our passes because it is still more economic when you ski 20 or more days. But I wouldn’t be in the least bit surprised to see $1500 passes from both epic and ikon, it will cut the crowds and increase profit.

And just to prove there’s no one to work, Stratton’s huge employee housing hotel sits vacant for the 4th year in a row. It’s on the magic access rd. Could be a sweet place to own soon…
    Nowhere to stay in Vermont for less than 300 dollars? Wha? Booking .com, sir. Use it, it's your friend. There's clean hotels in Manchester for less than a hundred. I stay in a place on the Killington access road for about 110.

And it's silly to argue about day ticket pricing when everybody is buying season passes.

i sure dont buy things people will give me for free
    especially in exchange for 4 hours of work a week
    and the shop has 8 soli 2 pow mow and 4 sundance unlimited fully transferable season passes
    so no bunners not everybody pays for a season pass
    just the ones who aint figured out how to not buy a season pass and
    free
    ski
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    . There is also no where to stay in Vermont near a ski area for less then $300 a night
    hey mags...check out Turn of the River Lodge for Killington. Used to be about $18 a night for community bunk ,and $28 a night for a room.

I am seeing about 57 $ a night on the web at a quick glance now. Real close to lower Gondy and avoids killington access road.

^Just don't spread it all over the damn internet !

I stayed there a ton of times b4 moving mid west.....free coffee and snacks in morning ,friendly staff. More of a cabin style atmosphere than a hotel.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

The Ikon pass is a season pass. I get two mountains in Vermont anytime I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    The Ikon pass is a season pass. I get two mountains in Vermont anytime I want.
    i git 14 mountains mountains in utardia
    i dont want any in vermont
    nor would i ever pay for em
    i bemoan the altera gooberin up the sillytudes in iconic fashion
    but it could be an epic shit show

It's also a season pass at Solitude.

And Steamboat. Mammoth. And Copper.

But you do you, man. I'm sure you wake up a happy hippy every morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Nowhere to stay in Vermont for less than 300 dollars? Wha? Booking .com, sir. Use it, it's your friend. There's clean hotels in Manchester for less than a hundred. I stay in a place on the Killington access road for about 110.

And it's silly to argue about day ticket pricing when everybody is buying season passes.

and those places fill up immediately and there is no where to stay very quickly. Yes Benny you are going to find a deal, but there are not ever going to be enough hotel rooms for the masses nor will there be houses unless lots of government things change and that’s not happening here.

id gladly pay $2000 for an ikon pass if that means that they are going to limit sales. All this talk of inclusion, maybe they oughta figure out how to make it a warm weather sport.

You're talking weekends, right? Well, maybe. Holidays, too. But, trust me, midweek, it's cheap.

Edit: As far as there not being enough hotel rooms, drive around Killington, especially Rt. 4 on the Rutland side, and explain the old derelict motel and hotels on that stretch of road. The Cortina is actually a senior citizens home right now.
    If the demand was there, the hotels would still be viable, not falling apart.