Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Cool Backlash Against Vail Resorts

"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

https://www.instagram.com/epicliftlines/

Brings the lulz everyday.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

“Chief executive Kirsten Lynch, who is in her first winter at the helm of the company, announced two weeks ago that employees will receive a bonus of $2 per hour for all hours worked from Jan. 1 until the end of the ski season. They must stick it out to the end to receive their bonuses, which will be paid in May. The company also says it increased the minimum wage it pays at Colorado resorts this season from $12.25 to $15 per hour.”

Whoa. Now all those lifties can squeeze 4 into a 400sf apt instead of 5.

Vail dumped their J1’s out on the street in March 2020.
    Anyone know how many they have this year?

They sold like 900,000 more passes than ever before and there is pretty massive worker shortage. You do the maths. I wonder if there's any stories like this from the Ikon resorts? I know that I've heard that Copper is way more crowded on the weekends than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Vail dumped their J1’s out on the street in March 2020.
    Anyone know how many they have this year?
    there are lots of j1's here this season most of them arrived without housing and have been shuffling between hotels since they got here

J1's are also the kids of well to do south american parents they are all leaving as planned between mid to late march because they have to go back to college so cunty kristen ain't handing them their $2 an hr bonus for sticking out the season

"experience of a life time brah"

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    They sold like 900,000 more passes than ever before and there is pretty massive worker shortage. You do the maths. I wonder if there's any stories like this from the Ikon resorts? I know that I've heard that Copper is way more crowded on the weekends than ever before.
    You do the math, corporate bootlicker.
    Skier visits down 2%.
    There is no worker shortage. There is a shortage of workers willing to be exploited.
    Get bent.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    “Chief executive Kirsten Lynch, who is in her first winter at the helm of the company, announced two weeks ago that employees will receive a bonus of $2 per hour for all hours worked from Jan. 1 until the end of the ski season. They must stick it out to the end to receive their bonuses, which will be paid in May. The company also says it increased the minimum wage it pays at Colorado resorts this season from $12.25 to $15 per hour.”

Just did the inflation calculator for curiosity’s sake::

In my ski bum, ski area shit job days I made today’s equivalent of
    -13-14hr for a few years
    2200-2600/month on salary for more years
    16/hr for a few more years

I paid (today’s equivalent) from $300 to $1100/mo rent in wide variety of “interesting” living situations.

Living was often pretty bare with those numbers. Lots of creativity applied to getting through life on those numbers. I was at my limit a bunch of times, like living in a tent with no food, hitchhiking to work, casually grabbing a banana from some hotel’s continental breakfast. I don’t think I could have done it with less.

I’m not surprised they’re having trouble locating workers with even less wage and crazier housing.

I just pray we don’t get a big migration to Ikon next year. If so…can they go to only 3 days at Aspen for a $250 adder?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post

15*40*2= $1200. that’s not nothing (even if it’s only 4pair of googles), but I imagine “hours worked” tends to drop off at the end of the season?

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I just pray we don’t get a big migration to Ikon next year...
    This. It's going to happen. I'm already seeing many comments on Stevens Pass and other Vail-owned resorts' social media pages that the people are fed up and plan on buying Ikon next season.

To be sure, Ikon has the same issues, but Vail's just so much easier to hate on because Vail. Aspen has done a good job at staying arm's length away from Alterra as they still are not wholly owned as opposed to Steamboat/Copper, etc. and so I will not be surprised to see ASC continue on that path with more limitations moving forward. On the other side of the coin, ppl need to know Ikon has more than enough problems. Ikon has ruined Steamboat and it's becoming more of a circus every damned day.

Hate supporting Ikon/Alterra but have no choice if I want to ski in bounds where I live and financially it makes sense if I want to plan trips to JH, LCC/BCC, BS etc...

Ikon has the same problems as Epic with the difference only in the ownership. Vail has tried to centralize everything. Alterra doesn't appear to be doing as much of that, but it's a hedge fund and it can be expected to happen soon enough.

Can’t wait till next season when the hoardes will jump to Ikon.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    Skier visits down 2%.
    There is no worker shortage. There is a shortage of workers willing to be exploited.
    Get bent.
    You are a fucking idiot. Eat a dick.

^^^ ski off??

Can't handle facts that don't fit your narrative?
    Only low paying jobs are having a hard time finding workers.
    Supply and demand. Capitalism. If you don't like it get a better job. Ha! Workers get it and are taking better jobs.

Backlash Against Vail Resorts

Skier visits down 2%.
    Get bent.
    I’m not really sure that you know what was wrong at Stevens. None of what you said is accurate. Pettigrew was a micro manager. There was a stack of un reviewed applications for every staff position at Stevens when Fortune took over recently. Lots of people wanted to work at Stevens. It really had nothing to do with wages except for Pro Patrol. I know this doesn’t fit your narrative but I’ve had two conversations with people high up in management at Stevens in the last week. It was simply bad management by a corporate ladder climber with no understanding of Stevens and no gm experience.

Continue with your woke outrage by all means

You didn't know that?

Hopefully Alterra will use the benefit of foresight to their advantage. The Ikon shit show for next year seems fairly predictable, but a few tweaks here and there could probably avert a Vail-esque disaster.

TIL that I'm not woke if I use the shorthand of "worker shortage" instead of "shortage of workers willing to be exploited".
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    TIL that I'm not woke if I use the shorthand of "worker shortage" instead of "shortage of workers willing to be exploited".
    The world and wokeism moves fast, Danno. Keep up!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CX2c7hhOe4a/ Click through.

Can't handle facts that don't fit your narrative?
    Only low paying jobs are having a hard time finding workers.
    Supply and demand. Capitalism. If you don't like it get a better job. Ha! Workers get it and are taking better jobs.
    What exactly is considered the threshold of low pay?
    FkIt. Don’t bother. My experience is different.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I’m not really sure that you know what was wrong at Stevens. None of what you said is accurate. Pettigrew was a micro manager. There was a stack of un reviewed applications for every staff position at Stevens when Fortune took over recently. Lots of people wanted to work at Stevens. It really had nothing to do with wages except for Pro Patrol. I know this doesn’t fit your narrative but I’ve had two conversations with people high up in management at Stevens in the last week. It was simply bad management by a corporate ladder climber with no understanding of Stevens and no gm experience.

Continue with your woke outrage by all means

Did I say anything about Steven's? Nope. These is about Vail Corp and my response was to the incredibly inaccurate nonsense that was also not directly about Steven's

Worker shortage suggests that the problem is there aren't enough workers to fill the available jobs. This is simply inaccurate.
    No companies paying decent wages and treating employees well is having a problem retaining or hiring.