Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    <snip> hoarding the wealth, refusing to spend it
    This is what I don't get...

WTF are they waiting for? What good is all that wealth if you don't blow it at some point?

Well my parents keep telling me how sorry they are that their generation pulled the ladder up behind them, benefitted from all sorts of economic and societal booms and programs, and then turned around and told the younger generations that they are lazy and that the boomers did it all on their own. They regularly tell me that it makes them sick to their stomach how much their age cohort acts like whiny babies while hoarding the wealth, refusing to spend it, blaming younger folks, etc etc.

So, you know... you can just do the classic "stop being a baby and pull up your bootstraps" boomer thing, or you can admit that even a lot of boomers realize their generation REALLY fucked up society in north america by being selfish pricks.

And BTW I'm a married millenial homeowner with plenty in my retirement account, but I am also not so blind to pretend that I got here completely on my own, nor am I so idiotic that I ignore the massive massive damage the baby boomers as a group have done to our economy and basic national infrastructure and security.
    You and your parents sound like rich entitled assholes. NTTAWWT
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    it is silly how many of that generation are so tight with some types of spending...

...I see it all the time as a Painter doing side jobs; they tell me I am to expensive at 250-300$ a day, yet they want quality, higher end work done. Besides a full price contractor charges 400$+ a day. The working class types are opposite and appreciate a good deal. Its the office desk jockeys that are often super tight.

Yet they have a $100k dollar camper, porsche's, bmw's, and a $900k+ dollar house
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

WTF are they waiting for? What good is all that wealth if you don't blow it at some point?
    Ego. So many people judge not just others, but themselves, based almost entirely on net worth. That's the only logical conclusion I can come to on that. Just wanting to see that number get higher and higher.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    it is silly how many of that generation are so tight with some types of spending...

...I see it all the time as a Painter doing side jobs; they tell me I am to expensive at 250-300$ a day, yet they want quality, higher end work done. Besides a full price contractor charges 400$+ a day. The working class types are opposite and appreciate a good deal. Its the office desk jockeys that are often super tight.

Yet they have a $100k dollar camper, porsche's, bmw's, and a $900k+ dollar house
    You think they accumulated all that money by giving it to riff raff like you, or tipping waitstaff, or voting for tax increases?
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

My parents, who were born late depression-era (conceived pre-Pearl Harbor, born 1942), are such hoarders. For them it's the the lasting frugality from their parents and their upbringings during times of not having the plenty later generations were brought up with. Additionally, they are fixated on providing funding for educations for many generations to come (aka "their legacy") and not spending on anything they do not deem as necessary. (probably like the children of today will be fixated on applying hand sanitizer to their hands as long as they live...)

Then again my parents are not baby-boomers (lived in NYC in the late 1960s. Not only did not go to Woodstock, didn't even know of Woodstock until after it was over...)
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Ego. So many people judge not just others, but themselves, based almost entirely on net worth. That's the only logical conclusion I can come to on that. Just wanting to see that number get higher and higher.
    Yeah... I suppose you're right. I just find it bizarre. I'm trying to time it such that I can GTFO of the rat-race as soon as possible, have enough cheddar to live until I'm 90 (optimistic), not be a burden financially to my children, but spend every last dime by the time I die.

Sure, I mean my dad is a doctor - at a public county run hospital where most of his patients are welfare recipients or displaced and my mom is an author. They drive subaru outbacks and rav4s. So I mean, if that's your definition of entitled then by all means refer to them as that. I paid for my own driver's ed and moved out of their house at age 17, taught myself tech skills growing up and then turned that into a career. My newest car is a 2006 that I bought with a blown engine and did a swap on, and I've never paid more than 7 grand for a vehicle. Definitely super rich and entitled over here..... Plus everyone knows the doctors that take tiny salaries for decades to do surgery on homeless people with chronic diseases are assholes, right?

I'd posit that someone who has the skills to make half a mil a year and settles on making about 1/5 of that so that they can dedicate their life to making poor people's lives a bit better (instead of just endlessly stacking paper like so many boomers do) is actually the opposite of an asshole, but what do I know?

TLDR my parents are humble and live within their means, sorry that you think that it makes them or me rich and entitled. They taught me compassion and a good work ethic, and that much of their generation has neither.

Wtf is this? A fucking therapy session? Let’s talk about our parents? You guys see what Vail has done to us? Fuck Vail!

Vail hasn't done shit to me partner other than some shitty skiing that I did not have to pay for and I was pissed off then.

I don't buy Ikon or Epic, I would give Indy a look for next season.

But for my Brother and Sister patrollers working for Vail..... Fuck Vail with a cactus.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Well my parents keep telling me how sorry they are that their generation pulled the ladder up behind them, benefitted from all sorts of economic and societal booms and programs, and then turned around and told the younger generations that they are lazy and that the boomers did it all on their own. They regularly tell me that it makes them sick to their stomach how much their age cohort acts like whiny babies while hoarding the wealth, refusing to spend it, blaming younger folks, etc etc.

So, you know... you can just do the classic "stop being a baby and pull up your bootstraps" boomer thing, or you can admit that even a lot of boomers realize their generation REALLY fucked up society in north america by being selfish pricks.

And BTW I'm a married millenial homeowner with plenty in my retirement account, but I am also not so blind to pretend that I got here completely on my own, nor am I so idiotic that I ignore the massive massive damage the baby boomers as a group have done to our economy and basic national infrastructure and security.
    Wow. You have serious issues involving your brutally honest parents, but, at least they helped you survive this dystopian Boomer destroyed world by helping with the down payment on the house and probably education. Those fuckers.

Most of the wealth is tied up in real estate. Don't worry, the kids will get that. Patience. Or just sneak in and smother them with pillows in the middle of the night.

The next recession. My dad was a "Greatest", threw very little away

How in the fuck did this go from "I hate Vail", to "Boomers ruined the world"?

Whinny X & Y'ers...

Allow me to apologize for the role I played in the derail. If there's one thing we can all agree on here, its definitely

But for my Brother and Sister patrollers working for Vail..... Fuck Vail with a cactus.

^^^ I just came here to post this.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2022/...e-fuel-skiing/

I'll bet that's Killington today.

Backlash Against Vail Resorts

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Do I succeed in a chargeback if I used a VISA to rent an inner tube for this application and a merchant agreed to do it?
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 02-05-2022 at 01:06 PM.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

This is going well. In a way, it's good to see. This sort of disfunction can't last forever. Or, can it?

It's much worse at a few of their Eastern hills. Essentially, after this storm Friday, thousands of people stood in line with important chairs not functioning.

https://www.parkrecord.com/news/park...-to-city-hall/

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    This is going well. In a way, it's good to see. This sort of dysfunction can't last forever. Or, can it?

You left out, "can it get worse"

Totally unscientific analysis is that a lot of this will sort itself out over the next 10 years. At Big Sky the clientele is largely skewed towards well off Codgers and they will NOT continue skiing forever.

That's what I've been saying. The world is going to very different in a lot of ways once the Boomers die off.

Dude you say all kinds of shit, who can keep track.

Memory loss gettin' ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    That's what I've been saying. The world is going to very different in a lot of ways once the Boomers die off.
    We’re all waiting impatiently

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Be careful what you hope for.