Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yup. Because Boomers built the industry. Any new resorts out there lately?
    We would if the boomers hadn't piled on the regulations, laws and barriers to any type of meaningful development on public land while in parallel cut the the bottom rungs off the economic ladder and hollowed out our economy by chasing cheap trinkets with better profit margin from China?

Quote Originally Posted by Markeyz View Post
    Gonna need road access, sewage, lifts, ten years of permits etc. but the question remains, where?
    The answers you seek are here. https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t-Service-land

Or not
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Boomers are failing to keep up the infrastructure they are so proud of. Anything new to benefit their children? Out of the question. You or your children, gtfo!

TLDR but I did notice the date. Maybe tomorrow, it’s getting late.

Yup. Because Boomers built the industry. Any new resorts out there lately?
    Boomers didn’t build the artist point rd, chinook pass, paradise, etc. do like to take credit though.

Boomers are failing to keep up the infrastructure they are so proud of. Anything new to benefit their children? Out of the question. You or your children, gtfo!
    As a GenX'er who moved to a ski town, this is quite valid. Boomers like to play the 'my fixed income' card while driving a new Ford F350 dualie.

Lots of great Boomers out there but I kinda gotta agree with all the Boomer dissing above. They were given the keys to the kingdom and ruined it all.. and now seem hell bent on burning it all down.

Quote Originally Posted by TAFKALVS View Post
    We would if the boomers hadn't piled on the regulations, laws and barriers to any type of meaningful development on public land while in parallel cut the the bottom rungs off the economic ladder and hollowed out our economy by chasing cheap trinkets with better profit margin from China?
    I touched on this in a different thread for a different reason, but the truth in this statement holds water.

I've always like this lyric -

' Every generation
    blames the one before
    And all of their frustrations
    come beating at your door... '

" backlash toward Vail Resorts... "

VR's leadership appointed in 2006 is not a boomer -
    the boomer bashing accomplishes nothing more than venting ;
    ideas were offered in a different thread about how to change the culture for VR employees ;

I don't and won't support Vail Resorts, and will never hold a 'mega pass' ;

my opinions about corporate ski culture are up-thread ;
    as long as those of the generation that has been responsible for the management of VailResorts for more than fifteen years continue to blame predecessors,,, I wish you luck.

maybe next year the resorts can be staffed with internationals on J1visas again.

Thank you. skiJ

Skiing is always in a boom/bust cycle. Typically its been with Real Estate, this time its with consolidation.
    Vail isn't an owner of these properties, just a nexus of contracts of which the shareholders have a claim on the value of the entity. In front of those claims on value is roughly $3bn of debt. When operating cash flows take a hit for 2-3 years and they cant meet their debt obligations the "assets" may be looking for a new home and operator.
    As always vote with your dollars to make change...
    "I enjoy...skinny-skiing...going to bullfights on acid..."

Where do you propose a new resort? I’m all ears.
    I don't propose any. I think there's plenty. But, if I was going to build one, my back yard.

I don't know about this Boomers are letting it all go to shit stuff. I just skied two mountains in Vermont that have been around, like, forever, Stratton and Killington, and they both look great and are operated really well. Killington makes me go, huh, that's a nice new chair and that's a nice new snowmaking operation, and, Madone, when that new lodge opens, now we're talking. Btw, just learned that they are supposed to start destruction of the old K1 lodge March 1. Don't hold me to it, strong rumor, but, if true, I wanna watch that and take pics. I hope explosives are used, but, doubtful.

bunny casually dropping in the eyetalian catchphrase…. he’s been to itly before you know, twice for a month!

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    Lots of great Boomers out there but I kinda gotta agree with all the Boomer dissing above. They were given the keys to the kingdom and ruined it all.. and now seem hell bent on burning it all down.
    Hindsight is always 20-20 and I wasn't given a damn thing except the chance to live when I did and that was more a gift than by design.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Blaming shit on boomers is just another case of “The Other”. It is always some other groups fault for all your problems. Grow up and stop being bitches. You are basically grown adults whining about your parents. 🤮

For those that think moving to Ikon is the solution, think twice. Read about the shit show season at Crystal Mountain this year here, last 4-5 pages or so:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Alterra/page52

Bottom line is Ikon sold 40,000 unlimited passes in Washington and while selling the passes stated that there would be no reservations this season and free parking for passholders. Keep in mind there are only 4,500 parking spaces at Crystal; so fast forward to January, they are now requiring parking reservations for the weekend days and the reservations are gone in about 1 minute each week; a ton of people can't ski on the weekend now. Oh yeah, if you don't show for a day you have a reservation they give you a $100 ticket and they expect you to cancel by Noon the day prior. If you park w/o a reservation more than 2 times they claim they will revoke your pass. How is this UNLIMITED skiing which is what passholders purchased???
    You Will Respect My Authoritah!

^ Like I said, my role as a customer is to turn the lights on in the lodge now at our Alterra home mountain - pretty messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by timeo View Post
    For those that think moving to Ikon is the solution, think twice. Read about the shit show season at Crystal Mountain this year here, last 4-5 pages or so:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Alterra/page52

Bottom line is Ikon sold 40,000 unlimited passes in Washington and while selling the passes stated that there would be no reservations this season and free parking for passholders. Keep in mind there are only 4,500 parking spaces at Crystal; so fast forward to January, they are now requiring parking reservations for the weekend days and the reservations are gone in about 1 minute each week; a ton of people can't ski on the weekend now. Oh yeah, if you don't show for a day you have a reservation they give you a $100 ticket and they expect you to cancel by Noon the day prior. If you park w/o a reservation more than 2 times they claim they will revoke your pass. How is this UNLIMITED skiing which is what passholders purchased???
    That’s winning!!!

Hashtag Charlie sheen
    . . .

Btw, just learned that they are supposed to start destruction of the old K1 lodge March 1. Don't hold me to it, strong rumor, but, if true, I wanna watch that and take pics. I hope explosives are used, but, doubtful.
    I cant believe I'm saying this, but yes you are correct. The K1 lodge will close early March to begin the demolition process. The phase 3 footprint of the new lodge, and slope side patio will cover where the old lodge currently exists. The Umbrella bar and the washrooms there, along with food trucks will support the K1 base area into the spring skiing season.

They damn well better have a decent espresso machine in that new lodge.

I just skied two mountains in Vermont that have been around, like, forever, Stratton and Killington, and they both look great and are operated really well. Killington makes me go, huh, that's a nice new chair and that's a nice new snowmaking operation.
    Meanwhile at Powdr Corp’s resort on the west coast, the 33YO chair in the middle of the resort - that ties the place together- shit the bed in December and is unlikely to run this season.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Meanwhile at Powdr Corp’s resort on the west coast, the 33YO chair in the middle of the resort - that ties the place together- shit the bed in December and is unlikely to run this season.
    You buy the pass, implicitly, you assume lifts won't break for season, lifts will be opened when snow allows not when they decide it fits their P&L numbers for the week/month, it will snow at some point, the key snowmaking pumpshack does not explode, they won't sell more than X times the hourly or parking capacity and the owners are financially viable to pay the bills to keep the lift(s) spinning.

They off-load their risk, you buy that annual pass/risk, not knowing all that they know. How can you lose? Powdr is right up there on the list....
    "One Dollar, cheaper than a lift ticket and it lasts forever" Powder Winter 72-73 Issue #1

They damn well better have a decent espresso machine in that new lodge.
    Lean into it, thataway Benny!

Quote Originally Posted by Egreenaw View Post
    Skiing is always in a boom/bust cycle. Typically its been with Real Estate, this time its with consolidation.
    Vail isn't an owner of these properties, just a nexus of contracts of which the shareholders have a claim on the value of the entity. In front of those claims on value is roughly $3bn of debt. When operating cash flows take a hit for 2-3 years and they cant meet their debt obligations the "assets" may be looking for a new home and operator.
    As always vote with your dollars to make change...
    Well thought out response with a good pulse on the ski industry and the financing behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Blaming shit on boomers is just another case of “The Other”. It is always some other groups fault for all your problems. Grow up and stop being bitches. You are basically grown adults whining about your parents. 冷
    Well my parents keep telling me how sorry they are that their generation pulled the ladder up behind them, benefitted from all sorts of economic and societal booms and programs, and then turned around and told the younger generations that they are lazy and that the boomers did it all on their own. They regularly tell me that it makes them sick to their stomach how much their age cohort acts like whiny babies while hoarding the wealth, refusing to spend it, blaming younger folks, etc etc.

So, you know... you can just do the classic "stop being a baby and pull up your bootstraps" boomer thing, or you can admit that even a lot of boomers realize their generation REALLY fucked up society in north america by being selfish pricks.

And BTW I'm a married millenial homeowner with plenty in my retirement account, but I am also not so blind to pretend that I got here completely on my own, nor am I so idiotic that I ignore the massive massive damage the baby boomers as a group have done to our economy and basic national infrastructure and security.