Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Vail Resorts is one smart corporation. They’ve hooked thousands upon thousands of people to sit in hours of soul sucking traffic, lines to get to the mountain and lines on the mountain, pay for $20-30 cheeseburgers and do it every weekend.

This (skiing) is supposed to be fun - "a way to get away from it all". If all it does is create anxiety and stress, there's not much point in doing it any more. This always used to be the way I'd be able to "balance myself" - I skied to re-center, and get away from the stress of the life I choose, and not add to it.
    Well stated.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    What decent hill besides Abasin in Colorado is not Epic or iKon?
    Are we limited to ski areas with pocket meat potential?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    My bad then, and I apologize to all.
    This should be your sig line

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Shits change morans surelong time ago I was making 8.50 an hr options for shitty rentals were every where rooms were around 350 a month

Well you d bags with your calculator can do the math 15 bucks an hr no health ins 1500 for a room and wait all those shithole rentals are long gone poof but you can commute over an hr plus every day and the fun town is reserved for rich gapers

Was talking to a friend who works corporate America in Denver people are quitting vr corporate headquarters in Broomfield shit pay and dog shit corporate culture she's hired a number of them at her company

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    And now you're furious but still take advantage of the cheapest mega pass ever offered. What else did I miss?
    You missed one thing for sure - I have never owned ANY “mega pass “. I have a season pass to my local area, and I buy daily lift tickets when I travel. How is it that I’m “part of the problem”? If anything, I’m giving back to the industry in the way I do things. I remember how tough things were back when I was living hand-to-mouth, and now that I have some means because I work my ass off, I give back accordingly, and I don’t ask for discounts/freebies/etc, even though I’m still “in the industry”.

I can only laugh at your use of “mad”,“furious”, and “upset” when it comes to me. Project much? Seems you have the issue with being triggered. Not sure I ever mentioned ANYTHING about a “Worker shortage” either. Talk about incoherent…
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Was talking to a friend who works corporate America in Denver people are quitting vr corporate headquarters in Broomfield shit pay and dog shit corporate culture she's hired a number of them at her company
    Not a surprise. I knew a few who worked there when they moved the whole company from the mountains to Broomfield and they lost a ton of employees back then. Didn't like corporate folks taking ski breaks either.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    I can only laugh at your use of “mad”,“furious”, and “upset” when it comes to me. Project much? Seems you have the issue with being triggered. Not sure I ever mentioned ANYTHING about a “Worker shortage” either. Talk about incoherent…
    Ya you don't seem triggered at all lol Classic defense right here, I believe it's call the "i'm rubber, you're glue" defense. bravo!

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    Shits change morans surelong time ago I was making 8.50 an hr options for shitty rentals were every where rooms were around 350 a month

Well you d bags with your calculator can do the math 15 bucks an hr no health ins 1500 for a room and wait all those shithole rentals are long gone poof but you can commute over an hr plus every day and the fun town is reserved for rich gapers
    This. The shitty local rentals that used to be available are gone since the pandemic.

Wage stagnation aside. There is nowhere to live with the influx of work from home 6 figure city slickers.

Good luck trying to build something in new in these ski towns. No lots. Expensive and restrictive permitting process + building costs.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    hows abouts theses places?

Monarch

https://skimonarch.com

Wolf Creek

https://wolfcreekski.com

Ski Cooper

https://www.skicooper.com

... yeah i know, not really a hudge place, but their seasons pass is only $299 and comes with 3 days all these places.

^ These locations are for skiing/boarding. ^

Epikonic resorts are for Instagraming, Facebooking & social media influencing.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Vail Resorts is one smart corporation. They’ve hooked thousands upon thousands of people to sit in hours of soul sucking traffic, lines to get to the mountain and lines on the mountain, pay for $20-30 cheeseburgers and do it every weekend.
    The worst part is Vail doesn't want these people driving to their resorts on the weekends. They only want the Dave Thomas from Chicago types, who skis at Wilmot twice a year but pays $2,000 a night for a ski in/ski out place over new years and spring break.

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    The worst part is Vail doesn't want these people driving to their resorts on the weekends. They only want the Dave Thomas from Chicago types, who skis at Wilmot twice a year but pays $2,000 a night for a ski in/ski out place over new years and spring break.
    Is Dave gonna bring all the lifties burgers?

Backlash Against Vail Resorts

How did Ikon sales go this year? Were they up too?
    Last edited by wolfelot; 02-02-2022 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Is Dave gonna bring all the lifties burgers?
    Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    I think that Dave thomas is dead. RIP.

The other Dave thomas is a douche.

The Wendy’s add had a $3.99 combo. That’s ten bucks today.

Aside from consumer inflation, real estate inflation is killing skiing. Way worse. There’s no lodging. Even at $15 wages you can’t find dirtbag housing.

And bragging about 18 minute lift lines? What an asshat.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    I can only *shake my head* at all the "fair wage"/"living wage"/ etc sentiment. Being a liftie/dish washer/host/ticket seller were never jobs meant to support a family of 8 - these were dirtbag jobs with dirtbag wages, and we REVELED in the amount of imagination it took to make ends meet. And...we made it work. Probably learned a thing or two along the way, and still had some fun in the process.

Now, we have the entitlement crew of the hour, just looking for a fight or a reason to be "OUTRAGED!!!", thinking that resort jobs are a career for everyone, right down to the guy picking up cigarette butts in front of the "drop off only" lane. I feel bad for patrollers, having been a volly for 14 years, because I know what they have to POUR into that job, and it's criminal to not have them being some of the highest paid employees at any area - and you can't spin the lifts without them...

Oh, and FUCK VAIL for screwing up the entire ski industry. You reap what you sow. The more consolidation we get, the less voice we have. I'm done supporting pretty much anything that is part of an "association" as well - only private organizations for me moving forward. There's just no accountability these days amongst to fat cats. If you aren't earning your operating income by means beyond collecting dues, it's too easy to get lazy and only look out for self interest.
    QFT - This is so fucking spot on! At my local Ikon Mtn, I've had to adopt a new morning routine - turning on the lights. They have employees, they just dont have any fuqz to give & if I have one more embarrassing conversation with management about ..."sorry we're cancelling ______ today because the staff didnt show...." I coached for years & you never expected it to land me a corner office.

What I will say is that everyone in the industry seems to be slow to the draw on is that the average "skier" is changing & this is creating bottlenecks where we never had them prior. That's going to be the challenge for the next 5 years. Sorting out if we can put elevators and magic carpets where most TGR folks would walk/ski.

There's a joke in town as early on in the fall I was offered a mtn gig several times and was told 'you're either part of the solution or part of the problem'. My response was that 'every burger joint I've been in for the last 2 years has been short staffed, yet no one ever handed me a spatula at the register......'.

It's time for this generation of dirtbags to put down their phones, pull up their pants & grab that spatula for a few years of stewardship.

FTR, my best ski days are a ahead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    GTFO with this nonsense, boomer. No one is saying $15/hr in a resort town is enough to support a family of 8. That's just the bare minimum you need to survive in these towns as a single person who is likely still going to be eating a lot of ramen and just scrap by.

Glad to hear the majority of your ski days are behind you because it's antiquated attitudes like yours that have made ski resorts what they've become today.
    Yup. Because Boomers built the industry. Any new resorts out there lately?

I'm pretty damn happy with my IKON season so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yup. Because Boomers built the industry. Any new resorts out there lately?
    Any new land out there lately, Horace?

You should fly in a big old airplane over the mountains sometime and look down.

Damn that was fast. Didn’t answer my question.

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    True. I’m always saying I’m amazed that the Dave Thomas types from Chicago come to ski a place like Breck year after year. You’d think after one year of dealing with the crowds and ridiculous costs both on and off the mountain, they’d go elsewhere.

Where do you propose a new resort? I’m all ears.

Gonna need road access, sewage, lifts, ten years of permits etc. but the question remains, where?