Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilverSurfer View Post
    Worker shortage suggests that the problem is there aren't enough workers to fill the available jobs. This is simply inaccurate.
    No companies paying decent wages and treating employees well is having a problem retaining or hiring.
    Uhhh, talk about inaccurate. Tech companies who pay high wages and give equity and great benefits (mine included) are having a hard time filling all of our available roles.

Let's keep the vitriol where it belongs, Vail. No need to make yourself sound like a fool generalizing across the entire economy.

https://www.americanprogress.org/art...-are-quitting/

Facts are inconvenient when they don't fit your narrative.

Your statement "No companies paying decent wages and treating employees well is having a problem retaining or hiring." is not true and the article you posted does not support your absolute statement. It focuses on low paying jobs (e.g. ski area jobs we are talking about) and not regarding the jobs I was discussing that many companies are having a hard time filling.

While your general direction is correct (and I agree with), your use of absolute statements ("no companies") weakens your overall point.

Worker shortage suggests that the problem is there aren't enough workers to fill the available jobs. This is simply inaccurate.
    No companies paying decent wages and treating employees well is having a problem retaining or hiring.

I don't know why you're trying to pick fights with people in here. Nobody is saying "people just don't want to work" or any of the stupid bullshit lines that are sometimes spouted, nobody is defending Vail, yet you're in here treating everyone as if we're reading from the Bootstraps 101 manual. Why? What's wrong with you?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    They sold like 900,000 more passes than ever before and there is pretty massive worker shortage. You do the maths. I wonder if there's any stories like this from the Ikon resorts? I know that I've heard that Copper is way more crowded on the weekends than ever before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I don't know why you're trying to pick fights with people in here. Nobody is saying "people just don't want to work" or any of the stupid bullshit lines that are sometimes spouted, nobody is defending Vail, yet you're in here treating everyone as if we're reading from the Bootstraps 101 manual. Why? What's wrong with you?
    My response was directed to "name Redacted" who was defending Vail.
    Vail has done a good job of pushing their narrative and the post I replied to was more of their nonsense.

Vail has done a good job of pushing their narrative and the post I replied to was more of their nonsense.
    How the fuck you got “Defending Vail” from my comment I’ll never know. Probably because you are a dipshit troll just looking for a fight.

Sorry that you are one of the millions of morons that didn’t see this coming and bought an epic pass. I sure as hell didn’t. I was even offered a free pass and didn’t take it.

You turned down a free pass?

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    You turned down a free pass?
    Yeah, I don't regret it either, especially with the shitshow that has been going on this season. The epic resorts just don't do anything for me, and really neither do the Ikon resorts, at least locally. I've got other non-Epic/Ikon passes instead and I've been pretty happy with them.

Maybe next year people will put their money where their mouth is and switch to something else besides Epic, but I've been saying that for years and I really hope they don't.

What decent hill besides Abasin in Colorado is not Epic or iKon?

Like I said, you're looking to pick fights. He wasn't defending Vail.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    What decent hill besides Abasin in Colorado is not Epic or iKon?

hows abouts theses places?

Monarch

https://skimonarch.com

Wolf Creek

https://wolfcreekski.com

Ski Cooper

https://www.skicooper.com

... yeah i know, not really a hudge place, but their seasons pass is only $299 and comes with 3 days all these places.

Powderhorn
    Sunlight

And everyone's favorite bootlicking spot, Loveland

And everyone's favorite bootlicking spot, Loveland
    Sssshhh, don't say that name around bunny, "He had a bad experience".

Silverton
    And although it isn't in CO, Taos is not too far.

I've gotten to the point where the whole resort experience is not really something that I even want, that isn't skiing to me and I'm not spending money or time on that shit anymore.

Isn’t it funny though how many thousands of people cruise by LL every weekend and never even consider skiing there instead of dealing with traffic and lift lines all day long at all the big resorts. Cracks me up.
    Last edited by Name Redacted; 01-30-2022 at 11:52 AM.

I can only *shake my head* at all the "fair wage"/"living wage"/ etc sentiment. Being a liftie/dish washer/host/ticket seller were never jobs meant to support a family of 8 - these were dirtbag jobs with dirtbag wages, and we REVELED in the amount of imagination it took to make ends meet. And...we made it work. Probably learned a thing or two along the way, and still had some fun in the process.

Now, we have the entitlement crew of the hour, just looking for a fight or a reason to be "OUTRAGED!!!", thinking that resort jobs are a career for everyone, right down to the guy picking up cigarette butts in front of the "drop off only" lane. I feel bad for patrollers, having been a volly for 14 years, because I know what they have to POUR into that job, and it's criminal to not have them being some of the highest paid employees at any area - and you can't spin the lifts without them...

Oh, and FUCK VAIL for screwing up the entire ski industry. You reap what you sow. The more consolidation we get, the less voice we have. I'm done supporting pretty much anything that is part of an "association" as well - only private organizations for me moving forward. There's just no accountability these days amongst to fat cats. If you aren't earning your operating income by means beyond collecting dues, it's too easy to get lazy and only look out for self interest.

This all makes me glad that the bulk of my ski days are behind me, cuz shit just gets dumber by the season. This is supposed to be fun - "a way to get away from it all". If all it does is create anxiety and stress, there's not much point in doing it any more. This always used to be the way I'd be able to "balance myself" - I skied to re-center, and get away from the stress of the life I choose, and not add to it.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    I can only *shake my head* at all the "fair wage"/"living wage"/ etc sentiment. Being a liftie/dish washer/host/ticket seller were never jobs meant to support a family of 8 - these were dirtbag jobs with dirtbag wages, and we REVELED in the amount of imagination it took to make ends meet. And...we made it work. Probably learned a thing or two along the way, and still had some fun in the process.

Now, we have the entitlement crew of the hour, just looking for a fight or a reason to be "OUTRAGED!!!", thinking that resort jobs are a career for everyone, right down to the guy picking up cigarette butts in front of the "drop off only" lane. I feel bad for patrollers, having been a volly for 14 years, because I know what they have to POUR into that job, and it's criminal to not have them being some of the highest paid employees at any area - and you can't spin the lifts without them...
    GTFO with this nonsense, boomer. No one is saying $15/hr in a resort town is enough to support a family of 8. That's just the bare minimum you need to survive in these towns as a single person who is likely still going to be eating a lot of ramen and just scrap by.

Glad to hear the majority of your ski days are behind you because it's antiquated attitudes like yours that have made ski resorts what they've become today.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Isn’t it funny though how many thousands of people cruise by LL every weekend and never even consider skiing there instead of dealing with traffic and lift lines all day long at all the big resorts. Cracks me up.
    Same. Fucking love it.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Jesus, tell us you can't ski without telling us you can't ski Dave Thomas! Glad he's content with 18 minute lift lines. But hey, at least they have improved the grooming!

Quote Originally Posted by TOLOCOMan View Post
    Jesus, tell us you can't ski without telling us you can't ski Dave Thomas! Glad he's content with 18 minute lift lines. But hey, at least they have improved the grooming!
    I think he should pull a shift at Wendys. I'm sure they are hiring and for more than VSP.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    GTFO with this nonsense, boomer. No one is saying $15/hr in a resort town is enough to support a family of 8. That's just the bare minimum you need to survive in these towns as a single person who is likely still going to be eating a lot of ramen and just scrap by.

Glad to hear the majority of your ski days are behind you because it's antiquated attitudes like yours that have made ski resorts what they've become today.
    Then move. Maybe to South Dakota or something, you fuckwit. I am NOT what is making ski resorts what they are today. If you aren't smart enough to figure that out, I feel for ya... You totally looked past the point, but that's okay, snowflake...
    Gravity. It's the law.

I'm with you, axe-
    I believe brutah missed the satire in your earlier post.

Vail - the early Vail ski area - was the product of skiers ;
    Vail Resorts is the product of capitalists.

( for now, I will leave it at that. )

skiJ

Like I said, you're looking to pick fights. He wasn't defending Vail.
    My bad then, and I apologize to all.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Then move. Maybe to South Dakota or something, you fuckwit. I am NOT what is making ski resorts what they are today. If you aren't smart enough to figure that out, I feel for ya... You totally looked past the point, but that's okay, snowflake...
    You're mad that America has allowed corporations to run crazy in this country and monopolize the ski industry, and you're upset people don't want to work for non-liveable wages to run chairlifts/sell tickets/groom/etc so you can go skiing. And now you're furious but still take advantage of the cheapest mega pass ever offered. What else did I miss? Your bad attempt at satire? Or your failure to make a coherent point resulting in your need to make ad hominem attacks which further distracts from whatever point you were trying to make?

You do realize that WE are part of the problem.

Your taking pride in "ski bumming" it and accepting low wages to " live the dream" back in the day has enabled ski resorts to offer non-liveable wages now. Which has created the current "worker shortage...."
    Last edited by brutah; 01-31-2022 at 12:30 AM.

brutah -
    when you begin a post, quoting a post offering a perspective based on decades of experience with,
    'Get...off with this nonsense, boomer. '
    I am pretty sure it is you who is making "ad hominem attacks."

axe- and skiers like axe- are not the cause of 'ski resorts becoming what they are today. '
    no, I'm sorry - ski resorts are what they are today Because of capitalists, and more specifically real estate capitalists.

Your efforts to project your anger to axe- is pretty-sad.
    I'm pretty-sure PCPSPA claimed they were unionizing to demand a 'living wage' , ultimately accepting 15/hour offered months ago.
    good luck living on 15 x40 x( 16 to 20 ) in a resort.

axe- wrote of experience, not attitude ;
    he wrote of a 'can do' believe that reveled in creativity
    ( I see nothing in axe's post about expecting others to work for low pay "so (he) can go skiing" as you try to claim.

we don't need corporate culture to go skiing. )

Vail Resorts is not about skiing ;
    VR is about capitalism.

skiers don't need VR to go skiing.

those who want to be at a resort -and demanding pay to their demands- know nothing about skiers. Real skiers.

Times have changed -
    experience is not an "antiquated attitude", and it is not skiers who have made "ski resorts what they re today. "

ski resorts are what they are today Because capitalism is what is determining the course of ski resorts.

good luck. skiJ

Inflated Salery's from various industries are what created the divide. Companies like Vail are just exploiting the environment, NOT that I like it.

Great example are daily lift tickets up 150% in last 15 years.

No one I know with an hourly labor job makes 150% more money...
    ....but these geeks with desk jobs rack in $100grand a year or more (and work only 1/2 the time), opening the door for every capitalist industry to charge a shitload more for goods and services now. Car and meat prices up over 20% do not affect households making 100-300 thousand a year. Housing up over 200% shows how much extra leeway there is for the yuppy cats with overpaid positions in reference to their spending.

Ski industry is just following along. We want to blame places like Vail >but it is the yuppies who keep paying up for their services that cradle the inflation and set it in stone.

So, yes ski jobs are skibum between type jobs. But they have not increased wages to follow inflation, just like almost every other industry that hires low education jobs.

This kind of inflation is screwing everyone in some way. Either in your pocket, or on more crowded slopes-or both.

Keep venting and maybe the hot breath will heat things up
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz