Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Small world, I got Eric his 1st job ski patrolling way back in the late 80s in Park City, (actually just a matter of telling him to apply because he had his EMT and could ski and putting in a good word with the PD).

End of that season he asked what a few of us thought of him as a river guide, he had never, ever camped outside. Next thing ya know he was on the Middle Fork of the Salmon for about 10-15 years. Then he got into Zip-lines when they were in their infancy.

He is a good guy and if he says this is a safety issue I believe him.
    Really small word, Eric was a pro when I was a voly at PCMR. Good times were had by all.

Wow.

I looks like Vail-corp is just trying to kill all of their zipline customers.

Some years ago, the same thing happened on the zipline at Heavenly. Vail willfully chose to ignore maintenance on the zipline, leading to an accident and another dead customer.

https://snowbrains.com/park-city-mou...ng-commission/

Looks like Vail is reaping what they sowed in Park City.

H8ting on Fail is easy, but is that all you got, old news?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Sounds like it's mostly a parking issue, and the lift expansion is being blocked to force Vail to deal with that.

The issue involved has little to do with lift capacity. Decades ago the city linked parking management with lift development. The link was the notion of carrying capacity. The heart of the controversy is PCMR failure to provide adequate free parking to accommodate the increased crowds.

Parking on the park city side of the resort will all become paid parking next season. PCMR has completely failed to solve the consequences of this decision. Many if not most people skiing on the park city side will try to park free by parking in neighborhoods, creating a nightmare. This will also impact neighborhoods not adjacent to the resort. Park city has a free bus system which works well. There are not enough free parking lots that can provide parking for people to ride the bus to PCMR. People will park in neighborhoods all over the town that have bus stops nearby, again creating a nightmare.

The solution is for PCMR to build satellite parking lots that are free and have the city bus system service those lots. This will solve the nightmare that has been created by Vail’s failure to creatively manage its business and the consequences of their Epic pass explosion.

Citizens and the planning commission are using the carrying capacity of lifts as a lever to force vail to solve this problem which has been created by vail management failures.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Sounds like it's mostly a parking issue, and the lift expansion is being blocked to force Vail to deal with that.
    Do people in Park City not have driveways?

"The solution is for PCMR to build satellite parking lots that are free and have the city bus system service those lots. This will solve the nightmare that has been created by Vail’s failure to creatively manage its business and the consequences of their Epic pass explosion."
    This exists to an extent at China Bridge, the H.S., the library, Quinn's, Richardson Flat, Kimball, and I-80 near Pinebrook. The problem becomes: do you really want to drive to a lot that is up to 3-4 miles away then get on a shuttle to the resort? I don't.

Vail has created a lot of problems in P.C. that go way beyond parking. I have owned a condo at the base of the Red Pine Gondola since 2003. I have 2 underground parking spaces. This is the first year since then that I will not purchase a Canyons ski pass. Vail has acted upon the real estate master plan that existed long before their involvement. I hardly recognize the town that existed prior to the 2002 olympics, and certainly before the Vail purchase. The Canyons base has become a nightmare, and there is nothing attractive about it. I would love to see the continued poor management which may cause Vail to sell its interest in Canyons, and have that mountain go back to the Rodney Dangerfield of P.C.

also, I am in favor of no Sundance Film Festival in P.C. during the winter months.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Moved away in 91 and have not been back. I prefer to remember PC as it was. Vibes.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Do people in Park City not have driveways?
    apparently not

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Moved away in 91 and have not been back. I prefer to remember PC as it was. Vibes.
    +1

left in 2018. about 4-5 years too late, but we still found our moments. moved out there in 98-99 old days were mind blowing good; uncontested powder inbounds and out. I honestly never imagined it would change so much

Sent from my SM-N986U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

It’s the people coming up from SLC that have no where to park. Or the people who don’t live on a bus line.

As a resident I cannot explain how fucked this place has gotten with the immediate turning point being Vail.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    . The problem becomes: do you really want to drive to a lot that is up to 3-4 miles away then get on a shuttle to the resort? I don't. .
    When I stay in Jackson during the winter and ski JHMR, I drive to the Stilson lot and take a free shuttle to the mountian.
    Drops you off right in front of the tram. No biggie. EasyPeasy. 7 miles, 10 - 15min.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Stil...6!2d43.5873149

Granted PC is larger then JHMR. A commitment to an efficient shuttle service is required. And that costs money.
    Which is at the root of Vail's problem. If people are already parking in neighborhoods and taking a city bus wouldn't
    a dedicated shuttle make more sense ?

It was an hour plus wait for a bus from the HS at times last year. To ski at PC. No fucking way

I rip the groomed on tele gear

I don’t live there but it seems to me if Deer Valley gets their lifts approved (they’re up next in front of PC council I believe) it’ll be pretty clear that it’s at least partially about Vail and not parking. People I know at Deer Valley are definitely sweating.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    It was an hour plus wait for a bus from the HS at times last year. To ski at PC. No fucking way
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    A commitment to an efficient shuttle service is required.
    My whole point. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    I don’t live there but it seems to me if Deer Valley gets their lifts approved (they’re up next in front of PC council I believe) it’ll be pretty clear that it’s at least partially about Vail and not parking. People I know at Deer Valley are definitely sweating.
    And they got approved. It's all about Vail and how they operate.

Sounds like Keystoned planned lift to Bergman bowl is having issues.

https://snowbrains.com/vail-resorts-...road-keystone/

I know this is a "Fuck Vail" thread, but that area on Keystone isn't some kind of wilderness area. "Alpine Tundra" maybe, but there's a shitload of old mines and mining roads up there. The forest service seems to be overreacting a bit on this one.

^^^ USFS will always react unfavorably to any new disturbance they did not approve, especially if wetlands are involved.

After discovering “damage to the alpine environment and impacts to wetlands” in Bergman Bowl, Fitzwilliams issued a cease and desist letter to Vail Resorts, which they complied with immediately, adds Vail Daily.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    "The solution is for PCMR to build satellite parking lots that are free and have the city bus system service those lots. This will solve the nightmare that has been created by Vail’s failure to creatively manage its business and the consequences of their Epic pass explosion."
    This exists to an extent at China Bridge, the H.S., the library, Quinn's, Richardson Flat, Kimball, and I-80 near Pinebrook. The problem becomes: do you really want to drive to a lot that is up to 3-4 miles away then get on a shuttle to the resort? I don't.

Vail has created a lot of problems in P.C. that go way beyond parking. I have owned a condo at the base of the Red Pine Gondola since 2003. I have 2 underground parking spaces. This is the first year since then that I will not purchase a Canyons ski pass. Vail has acted upon the real estate master plan that existed long before their involvement. I hardly recognize the town that existed prior to the 2002 olympics, and certainly before the Vail purchase. The Canyons base has become a nightmare, and there is nothing attractive about it. I would love to see the continued poor management which may cause Vail to sell its interest in Canyons, and have that mountain go back to the Rodney Dangerfield of P.C.

also, I am in favor of no Sundance Film Festival in P.C. during the winter months.
    First time skiing canyons pre merger....We park. Gear up. Get in the tram to go ski and the tram takes us to.....the base?

That was not a tram, it was a Cabriolet.

Quote Originally Posted by Percy Rideout View Post
    First time skiing canyons pre merger....We park. Gear up. Get in the tram to go ski and the tram takes us to.....the base?
    The humanity!

The fact that you didn't have to buy a tix to ride the cab should have been a hint

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

That’s hilarious. I needed that laugh!

Epic passes on your phone, I’m sure that’s totally unhackable.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2022/...igital-passes/

Quote Originally Posted by CoorsLight99 View Post
    Ikon treating their passholders like absolute trash and second class citizens is worse than Vail being Vail.

You spend a thousand bucks to not ride the Tram at Big Sky and have to make reservations at all the desirable places? Terrible. If you get an Ikon Base via your home resort you can't visit JH or Aspen. Yuck.

Vail just oversells their passes for super cheap. Paid parking just sucks no way around it but its something that should discourage people from buying their passes.

Whatever I hope Ikon and Epic keep doing what they are doing I don't visit those places anymore. Had some great times at most of the major resorts 5-15 years ago. Just getting a hotel room on short notice on a weekend can be near impossible sports more popular than ever. Not a bad thing.

Honest truth the places I ski regularly had WAYYY bigger lift lines when I was a kid than they do now (tram at Cannon was ski on 100% the time last year and Waterville is simply less busy than it used to be.)

_ . _