4FRNT MSP 99 181 vs 187

Demoed the 4FRNT MSP 99 181 at Crystal Mtn this past weekend along with Atomic Bentchetler 100, Rossi Black Ops Sender, Nordica Enforcer 100, and Volkl Mantra. Liked it the most out of everything I tried by far. Looking to make a purchase. Torn between 181 and 187. Kicking myself for not trying both sizes when I had the chance.

Currently have Moment PB&J 187 which feels too long in the tail (probably because of its progressive mount point). 6'1", 200lbs advanced skiier. Quiver spot positions it to be used on dry days; carving groomers, trees, etc. No backcountry. If I went with the 187 I am mildly concerned it'll be too much ski in front of me for trees but if i go 181 I am concerned it wont be damp enough.

Curious what the mags think.

Quote Originally Posted by topher23 View Post
    Demoed the 4FRNT MSP 99 181 at Crystal Mtn this past weekend along with Atomic Bentchetler 100, Rossi Black Ops Sender, Nordica Enforcer 100, and Volkl Mantra. Liked it the most out of everything I tried by far. Looking to make a purchase. Torn between 181 and 187. Kicking myself for not trying both sizes when I had the chance.

Currently have Moment PB&J 187 which feels too long in the tail (probably because of its progressive mount point). 6'1", 200lbs advanced skiier. Quiver spot positions it to be used on dry days; carving groomers, trees, etc. No backcountry. If I went with the 187 I am mildly concerned it'll be too much ski in front of me for trees but if i go 181 I am concerned it wont be damp enough.

Curious what the mags think.
    I have the 187. Can’t imagine going shorter. 6’2 210.

4FRNT MSP 99 181 vs 187

I own the 187 and it skis really easy. That said for the conditions I ski it in, firm high pressure days, I could see the 181 being fun. Most firm high pressure days I’m not skiing super fast anymore. If I am I’ll take out something burlier. There’s something to be said for a damp ski that’s on the short side. Give the legs a rest when the skiing isn’t firing. I’m looking at getting a Salomon stance 102 in 183 for that purpose. But I think the 181 msp 99 would be good to.

For folks that have the 187's how do they operate in the trees? Do they feel overbearing to maneuver?

For context, my other skis are a Atmoic Bentchetler 120 @ 184cm (which I absolutely love) and a 4FRNT Renegade @ 191cm.

187 fine in the trees here in CO.

With your size and weight, how did you not start with the 187? You are the body type they make the longer lengths for…
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    With your size and weight, how did you not start with the 187? You are the body type they make the longer lengths for…
    I think I was off-put by the long length due to how crappy my experience has been on the PBJ with the tail of the ski.

I don’t have anything constructive to add as far as the 187s go but I have the 181s and absolutely love them for the conditions you mentioned. 5’11” 185

Quote Originally Posted by topher23 View Post
    I think I was off-put by the long length due to how crappy my experience has been on the PBJ with the tail of the ski.
    To be fair, if the 181 made you happy and you ski the trees often enough, maybe that’s your answer.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Went with a pair of 187's from Mustonen. Yolo.

I’ll even get them in the mail today! Cheers!
    focus.