Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    First few days of lift service this year it seemed like every time I stopped people would ski up real close…like in my personal space close, make to ask me a question and then stop once they realized I wasn’t patrol.

I’m never buying a red jacket and black pants again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Shit I have an Ogio Flakjacket vest from like 2006 that I still wear. Bomber. All black. Lots of people wear vests at Big Sky, but the flack jacket looks extra "official" I guess. I get asked questions all the time, do my best to answer, and then like 30 seconds in the person asking the question realizes you don't work for the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    Pretty sure I saw something similar at hyak last weekend. Old dude in a super old ski patrol jacket cut the line with his wife
    ha, saw this happen yesterday over here at Brighton. riding a lift up i saw an older heavyweight women sporting a undersized ski patrol jacket (no way she could've zipped it up), skiing pizza pie-like slow holding her poles t-rex style with a kid and an adult in tow. I'm thinkin, okay i see, either this lady is helping some folks down the mtn, or maybe this is her way to get the attention every other rider on the mtn to slow down while they learn to ski. about an hour later, she and her crew slowly ski on up the ski patrol/ ski school lane right on up to the chair, passing everyone queued up in line 20mins prior. no fuckin way that lady was ski patrol.
    style matters...

Medical skills are more important than skiing skills. Maybe she’s a doctor that just got roped into learning how to ski.

Most docs are reasonable skiers but a couple of our docs are horrendous skiers. Pretty funny to see them snow plow around in uniform.

It's easier to teach a doctor how to ski well enough to get to an accident site than it is to teach a skier how to doctor well enough to save a high trauma victim. Both skills are important, but when you have both, let the doctor do the doctoring and the skier pull the sled.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    It's easier to teach a doctor how to ski well enough to get to an accident site than it is to teach a skier how to doctor well enough to save a high trauma victim. Both skills are important, but when you have both, let the doctor do the doctoring and the skier pull the sled.
    No, it’s not. It’s easier and more effective to quickly and safely transport a critical patient to the aid room where the equipment, supplies, and controlled environment are available. I’ve worked as an EMT patroller with doctors, and they’re much - much - more effective in the aid room than in the field, and patrollers are much more effective at stabilization and transport.

If every - every - patroller was a doctor, then you might have a point, but that’s not the case.

Two complimentary but totally different skillsets.
    Extrication and safe transportation compared to clinical intervention ability.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

My home resort is literally all avalanche terrain (or runout) and has the gnar. That said, I've met a number of volley patrol that are in the medical field who were just looking for something to do while their kid was in weekly lessons, so they signed up for patrol and they just cruise lower mtn groomers and act as mtn ambassadors so the pro patrol can stay at the top and focus on Jerry cliffed out 15yards from the lift top station.

Didn’t expect this much response to that throw away comment. We have docs who can ski and docs who can’t. The guy who snow plows to my accident and intubates a guy is fine by me. So is the guy who skis the double black to relocate a disco shoulder. It’s all about the team

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    Didn’t expect this much response to that throw away comment. We have docs who can ski and docs who can’t. The guy who snow plows to my accident and intubates a guy is fine by me. So is the guy who skis the double black to relocate a disco shoulder. It’s all about the team
    Totally. Our medical director at an event I ran safety for a few years back doesn't ski or sled. But he's a legend of an emerg doc in these parts. I learnt a lot from him during that period.
    Pretty funny seeing his face after our lead sled safety guy took him for a rip...

Name:  IMG_2832 (1).jpg
Views: 580
Size:  115.6 KB
    I made a career impersonating ski patrol. 30 years of free passes and 1-2 comps per day worked. Work usu involved just free skiing but there were a few days stuck for hours in First Aid
    Last edited by whipski; 02-04-2022 at 08:42 AM.

^^^this Me too.. 12 years
    Also.. seen in patrol hut.

Got a better quality photo of that or a transcript?

This old patroller can't make out the text.
    (also love the plywood walls. definitely a patrol shack)

x2 x2
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    Got a better quality photo of that or a transcript?

This old patroller can't make out the text.
    (also love the plywood walls. definitely a patrol shack)

That really does suck as a photo, eh?
    I'll find it.
    Yeah, they all look like that at our place. Actually had a patroller from Keystone take a photo yesterday as " that's the smallest patrol shack I've ever seen"

These better?
    Backcountry photo annual 2022 for transcript

Nah, patrollers are just traffic cops/parking attendants yelling at us to slow down or else!!!
    Taking all the fun out of skiing.

/S

Didn’t burton sell to regular folks a parka that was red with a white cross?

I’ll take a measurement of our shack at the top of Symphony. It’s gotta be one of the smallest patrol shacks around. I’m guessing it’s about 4 feet by 15 feet. 4 patrollers stationed there, and all the rescue gear is in there too.

When I'm in next Wednesday I will measure ours. That one is top of Glory. I think it's roughly 6ft square. Got a load of FA gear and belay kits but t-bogs are outside.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Didn’t burton sell to regular folks a parka that was red with a white cross?
    Yep. It was reversible. The poacher, I think

When this fella died, he was waiting at the golden gates to get into heaven.
    Long line. Helluva wait. Busted scanners, covid, and all.
    Some old guy in a ski patrol coat cuts the line and goes right in.
    Fella nudges St. Peter and asks "Who does he think he is, God or something"?
    St Peter: "That is God. He thinks he's a ski patroller".
    Last edited by telefreewasatch; 02-04-2022 at 07:56 PM.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191222_173313.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	518.3 KB 
ID:	404461Click image for larger version. 

ID:	404461
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

ID:	404461Click image for larger version. 

ID:	404461
    Everyone needs a hero. Not all heroes wear capes. Some wear grease stained uniforms and drive sleds.