Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Impersonating Ski Patrol

A dirt bag acquaintance of mine used to ski in a 20 old Lake Louise patrol jacket in order avoid paying for lift tickets. I watched him several times here at Red, not actually saying he was a patroller, but making small talk with the ticket checkers as though he was, and breezing by onto the lift. I couldn’t tell if they bought his bullshit, or just didn’t want a confrontation with crazy. He claimed it worked in resorts all over BC.

brilliant ....
    fucking brilliant
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

In Syracuse????
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    In Syracuse????
    5 hills within a half hour drive of the city. At least another 5 in 1-2 hour drive.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    5 hills within a half hour drive of the city. At least another 5 in 1-2 hour drive.
    Not to mention places with Nordic patrol.

My main resort jacket is red, black bibs/pants, and been mistaken for patrol by gapers, much like L8. Non-issue, but amusing all-round. If it was something serious, I would assist as a good samaritan anyways. On our small local t-bar, volly patrol just is issued a fanny or small pack for 1st aid with the white cross on red, no uniform otherwise.
    My SAR issued jackets don't get worn unless on task or training. Wearing for any other purpose is a big faux pas, and could result in disciplinary action, or worse. It's the same with any official uniform I've had to wear. I still have my twig pig badge, and may have flashed it once or twice when stopped by the local conservation officer in the backroads, but we share an office and all that. Context matters.

Can anyone confirm Benny's whereabouts that day?

Old Whistler/Blackcomb patrol uniforms have ended up for sale in second hand stores in Whistler and Vancouver after the corp offloads them.

I’ve definitely had some interesting conversations with people wearing them on the hill. You can’t really get that upset at people if they bought the jacket and are just wearing it as a ski jacket, and not using it for privileges.

I do scratch my head at people who wear their SAR/patrol uniforms when they’re out recreating… That’s a huge no no on our crew. Instant case of beer offence and lots of ridicule from the crew if you’re seen in public with the cross on when you’re not at work.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Can anyone confirm Benny's whereabouts that day?
    Shit, I was the one he'd be tagging on.

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    Old Whistler/Blackcomb patrol uniforms have ended up for sale in second hand stores in Whistler and Vancouver after the corp offloads them.

I do scratch my head at people who wear their SAR/patrol uniforms when they’re out recreating… That’s a huge no no on our crew. Instant case of beer offence and lots of ridicule from the crew if you’re seen in public with the cross on when you’re not at work.
    One of our temp guys turned up to training in an old Ministry jacket someone had sold him in Van. Seems like they're everywhere.
    Our SAR crew wasn't super hot on the beer offence for the above, as we had a couple of guys who's only gear was there SAR gear it seemed. That was a couple of years ago no though.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Tell us more.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

I’ve definitely had some interesting conversations with people wearing them on the hill. You can’t really get that upset at people if they bought the jacket and are just wearing it as a ski jacket, and not using it for privileges.

That is very department specific. Our FD and Tech Rescue both issued “civilian” sweatshirts, hats, etc to wear around town. It was a good way to start a conversation and drum up interest.

Then again I can’t imagine skiing in Bunkers.

Totally agree. Our crew has “civilian” gear too. Hats, touques, tshirts, hoodies. I was referring specifically to the actual uniform jacket you wear at work or on a call out.

The old management at the hill donated a bunch of lifty/patrol/ski school jackets to good will. The local wine aficionados of no fixed address picked em up. They were warm and dry and perfect for folks forced into 4 season camping. In any event they were locally renowned as the HBM ski patrol.

Totally agree. Our crew has “civilian” gear too. Hats, touques, tshirts, hoodies. I was referring specifically to the actual uniform jacket you wear at work or on a call out.
    Yeah, this is for calls only.

Name:  Image1643468599.032223.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  14.7 KB

During the 1st couple of seasons at MLB someone in HR picked out the staff uniforms. I told her NFW would the patrol wear those and ordered what I wanted from Patagonia and Arcteryx. Those other uniforms were absolutely hideous (Purple and Yellow), baggy and uncomfortable and not the least bit warm or water repellent.

After that person went on to other things the rest of the departments got rid of them to Goodwill, I occasionally will see one around. Remarkable they lasted that long.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

more to this story that what is being presented
    they need to get the word out but don't want to alarm people so copper with the help of the sherrif spinned it just enough bad things don't happen in ski towns ever

I still have my old red CAIC jacket, because I had to pay for it out of my own pocket. This was back in the day of the bake sales to make budget. I ware it now and then. But, it only has a small CAIC logo embroidered (3" X 3") on the chest and back. But, I have never tried to use it to cut lines, etc...
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

"Sir, you can't go in there"

"Its OK, I'M SKI PATROL!!!!"

"I fell off the jetway again"
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Woah! Tonight at 9!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3448.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	403650

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    more to this story that what is being presented
    they need to get the word out but don't want to alarm people so copper with the help of the sherrif spinned it just enough bad things don't happen in ski towns ever
    Sounds like maybe he was going after the kid? Would be awful if so.

Whoa, is this story taking an "eat all the muffins you want just don't mess around with little Debbie" twist?

Do they test spandex thiccness?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    I still have my old red CAIC jacket, because I had to pay for it out of my own pocket. This was back in the day of the bake sales to make budget. I ware it now and then. But, it only has a small CAIC logo embroidered (3" X 3") on the chest and back. But, I have never tried to use it to cut lines, etc...
    I'm pretty damn sure everyone at CAIC would still be OK with you repping the org.

Impersonating Ski Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Sounds like maybe he was going after the kid? Would be awful if so.
    Yeah, sketchy. At least seems like the kid thought he was going after her. Simplest explanation is the perp is just a first class idiot. But using a fake uni to get close to a kid in really any context is just hella sketchy. Hella.

I reckon now, if I see something that looks makeshift, I’m telling.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums