Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    At least for the snow we get down in OR, I'm not sure the BG108 makes a lot of sense. If the snow is soft enough to want RES, why not have more float/ability to deal with weird snow? No matter how narrow the waist is, it's not gonna be great on firm.

Ski 1 - Wide, pow specific shape - BG, Lotus 120, Lotus 138, GPO, Protest

Ski 2 - ~100mm traditional shape - something by black crows, sally, any of the big brands.

You have the right idea in your original post. For me it's a 108 Voile Supercharger + 96 K2 Wayback. Despite the meager waist difference, the fatter skis have much larger shovels and heavier construction which makes them so much better in heavy deep snow. I also have an older 88 waisted pair of G3 Zenoxides which is a fine size for volcanoes & alpine. I like the narrow waist in true corn conditions. So many good skis out there. Lightweight bindings for powder are probably fine, too. And you can probably find one boot that works for both depending on your preferences.
    Last edited by kamtron; 01-28-2022 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    For your "lightweight" touring ski (although 1300g is not that light), the Aski Verglas could be really fun depending on your ski style. For steeps, I imagine you're just jump turning, which it would be good at, but not great in tight trees. Better for open volcano faces with a lot of fall line ahead of you - that's where it would come alive.

Another good ski in the 1300g range could be the Ski Trab Stelvio. Bombproof construction and a 3 yr warranty. The skis keep the traditional trab ski shape which is very stable at speed w/ the nice split tail but bump up the core which adds weight, reduces cost, and improves dampness. Very damp ski for the weight - damper than the zero g for sure. Not to shill my own stuff, but I have a Ski Trab Maximo (90mm wide; stelvio is 85mm wide) for sale in a 171.

The last ski to consider if you want something easier skiing than the Aski or Trab would be the Atomic Backland 85 or 95. Easy to ski, big sweet spot, very well-liked.

Lots of people are telling you to get a zero g without asking you what kind of skier you are. Maybe they know you well already. But the zero g is a very demanding ski, so if you aren't a very good & aggressive skier, it's probably not the right ski for you. Additionally, depending on width and length, it's a bit lighter than your 1300g preference. The zero g is moderately damp, but it's still light, i.e. it gets bucked around. If you know that you don't want to ski a light ski, it might be better to stick in the 1300g range.
    I used to have the old Stelvio Lights that I bought from someone in the Sierra. They were nice volcano skis with a "wood" topsheet. I think overall it's better to go heavier on skis and light on bindings + skins.

Tons of great suggestions so far. Lots of research to do. Keep em coming.

For the selected widths and with regards to overlap or a heavier ski: my rationale is that my skinner skis will be a bit shorter and stiffer to deal with hard snow and tough skinning, but should be able to rip around corn well enough and maybe even deal with the loose glop if it all warms to hell. I'm willing to go light but not too light as I don't want to get eaten alive by the refrozen crud on the down. I'll save some weight on the bindings and length if I can.

The second I was planning on 105ish to handle soft snow and most days out, with a wide enough tip to deal with powder. Soft but not too soft for the variable 'adventure' skiing we get around here, but nimble and easy to turn in tight spots. I'd pair then with a midweight binding and ideally I'd be able to drive them with a touring oriented boot rather than going full on freeride (though I'd keep that option open).

I've got an old pair of Lhasa Pows that are a good pow day ski, but too wide and too long for the majority of tours I do and the beef boots I pair with them are not doing me any favors either.

If I can establish a decent quiver built on the above I'd be happy to add a 115+ ski for the pow days should I find thats something I'm lacking.

Easy question.

1). Volcano fitness touring Fischer Hannibal (96 underfoot) with light boots and ski crampons in the pack
    2). Pow sticks Voile V8 (116 underfoot) with beef boots

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F35FEEBE-9B48-4D1A-9F2C-BB58F0676A32.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	509.0 KB 
ID:	403226

I live here and have been out on a 4FRNT Raven and Dynafit Beast 98. I also have a K2 Wayback ready to be mounted for the spring.

I'd like to try a Moment Deathwish Tour, Dynafit Free 107, Line Vision 108, ON3P Woodsman 110 Tour, Renoun Citadel.

I think you're pretty spot on with what you're looking for. Damp is important, camber is probably nice for volcanoes. Don't go too light for midwinter / variable touring.

I've got most of the days on the Dynafit Beast 98. I like them a lot, but the tail can be a bit of work in deeper / condensed snow as someone mentioned. I think if they pintailed it a little it would be great. I find it's quite damp and skis well and I love the skin setup. For as much as people hate on Dynafit I think their Beast (now Free) series is pretty dialed. I think the ON3P would be awesome on deeper / dense days but probably not as great edge hold. I think the DWT would be perfect 1-ski quiver here that can handle everything. Line Visions have incredible reviews around here...they were designed for touring here so it makes sense. That's my 2c.

More echo I have zg95 with speed turns and countdown 114l with mtn that I got for a deal otherwise I would go bgt. Both driven with hawx xtd because I like big boots.

We need some touring meetups this winter.

OP, I'm in the exact same situation as you.

For my fatter touring ski, this year I got a Salomon QST 106 with CAST.

For my skinnier ski I'm looking to replace my super old BRO 183's with an old Dynafit vertical ST binding. I'm eyeing ATK Crest 10 bindings and something like a Navis FB, Camox FB, Dynastar M-Tour 99, etc. Basically, my plan is to wait until the end of the season and see what I can get on sale. For me, I'll sacrifice a little on the weight to have a more versatile ski with light pin bindings. I want it to be light enough for long spring days and volcano skiing but it still needs to be something that I can grab for a deep day mid winter where I don't want to mess with the cast bindings. Cast is great but if you're yo-yo-ing Heather Ridge it's a PITA.

I don't think you get anything with the Ion that you don't get with the Zed, other than some extra weight.

I won't comment on the rest as there are tonnes of suggestions already here.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

i was gonna move to a 3-ski quiver and but ultimately settled on the 2-ski for my use-case.
    I came to the conclusion that there was little benefit to a skinnier ski for me (other than weight).
    the advantages of a heavier ski paid huge dividends on the down
    i'm better off going for a lighter boot if a day will truly be huge vert

current touring quiver: love tx98, t118 is acceptable for now
    kastle TX98 for volcano/everyday duty: MTN bindings with freeride spacer; they really do it all so well at an awesome weight
    armada tracer 118 w/ voyager 16s for when the "stars align"

I agree with you and Backward_Banana for PNW conditions.
    honestly just get whatever calls to you the most.

My want to try touring list:
    Dynafit Blacklight 95, Head Kore 117, Waybacks, Corvus, Heritage Labs C120

My vote - Salomon MTN Explore 95 for volcano ski and DWT or Wildcat or BGT etc for the daily driver and pow days. Like everyone else said, 10X makes sense for a quiver of one but if you’re going with two skis get two that are sufficiently different and maximize the fun on the respective terrain you’ll have them in.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    My vote - Salomon MTN Explore 95 for volcano ski and DWT or Wildcat or BGT etc for the daily driver and pow days. Like everyone else said, 10X makes sense for a quiver of one but if you’re going with two skis get two that are sufficiently different and maximize the fun on the respective terrain you’ll have them in.
    I’d go a step further and say that a general daily driver in 95-105 width is super appropriate and then for the other ski do something different. Not necessarily in width but possible also design. If you want a super light go 85 and 105 type ski, or if you’re the other way MTN explore 95 and DWT as specified above.

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    You have the right idea in your original post. For me it's a 108 Voile Supercharger + 96 K2 Wayback. Despite the meager waist difference, the fatter skis have much larger shovels and heavier construction which makes them so much better in heavy deep snow. I also have an older 88 waisted pair of G3 Zenoxides which is a fine size for volcanoes & alpine. I like the narrow waist in true corn conditions. So many good skis out there. Lightweight bindings for powder are probably fine, too. And you can probably find one boot that works for both depending on your preferences.
    Looking to replace my SuperChargers as the edge is coming out of one of the tails. So far, thinking about the 107 K2 Wayback, but curious to hear how they feel compared to the SuperChargers. I LOVE the way the SC's ski, but the K2's have that little rubber thing on the tail to hopefully extend life. Would you say the Waybacks have a similar energetic, poppy, snappy feel like the Supers?

I have a few options, but if I had to narrow it down to two for the NW, I'd keep the Dynastar Cham 107 High Mountain, and the Dynastar Mythic 97. Both punch above their width in flotation, and both handle firm conditions well. Pin bindings on both.

I do have a couple skis set up with cast, but I mainly use those to keep my options open if I only want to bring one ski. I dislike skis-off transitions!

The Waybacks are good skis but very different from the Supercharger. The Supercharger has a lot more camber and sidecut which help give it that poppy feel. The Wayback feels much more docile, but its also more predictable in weird snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    The Waybacks are good skis but very different from the Supercharger. The Supercharger has a lot more camber and sidecut which help give it that poppy feel. The Wayback feels much more docile, but its also more predictable in weird snow.
    Helpful, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by cjohns716 View Post
    Looking to replace my SuperChargers as the edge is coming out of one of the tails. So far, thinking about the 107 K2 Wayback, but curious to hear how they feel compared to the SuperChargers. I LOVE the way the SC's ski, but the K2's have that little rubber thing on the tail to hopefully extend life. Would you say the Waybacks have a similar energetic, poppy, snappy feel like the Supers?
    Hey cjohns, did you try repairing the edge at all with some epoxy + hammering + clamping? I did this on my supers for some delam problems and they held up for a few more years. That said, I replaced them this year with Hyperchargers and lighter bindings. They ski really close to the Supers, which it sounds like you are happy with, and I saved a bunch of weight. For my skiing style I find this to be a great all-winter ski. Maybe in my next touring ski I would opt for something a bit more surfy. However, the camber gives me confidence on firmer steeper terrain and I still feel like I can slash these skis.

Haven't skied that width of Wayback but hear good things. I think they are getting redesigned for next year.

Hey cjohns, did you try repairing the edge at all with some epoxy + hammering + clamping? I did this on my supers for some delam problems and they held up for a few more years. That said, I replaced them this year with Hyperchargers and lighter bindings. They ski really close to the Supers, which it sounds like you are happy with, and I saved a bunch of weight. For my skiing style I find this to be a great all-winter ski. Maybe in my next touring ski I would opt for something a bit more surfy. However, the camber gives me confidence on firmer steeper terrain and I still feel like I can slash these skis.

Haven't skied that width of Wayback but hear good things. I think they are getting redesigned for next year.
    No, I brought them into a shop yesterday and that was their idea for a fix. Can you give some advice on how you did yours? What kind of epoxy, how did you clamp?

Cheers

Post a pic of the damage.
    Any epoxy will work, although the slow-set or marine varieties are strongest, and clear will probably look best.

I dont understand why no one has said Raven Renegade on this thread yet. Anything over 6" the renegade is pretty hard to beat. Same comment for the raven but under 8". Plenty of grip despite a fully rockered ski. 4-lock tail attachment is best in the game.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post
    I dont understand why no one has said Raven Renegade on this thread yet. Anything over 6" the renegade is pretty hard to beat. Same comment for the raven but under 8". Plenty of grip despite a fully rockered ski. 4-lock tail attachment is best in the game.
    I’m on this page. I’m enjoying my 190 Ravens in up to a foot of powder and I’ve got some 106 Renegades on the way. Love the shape and flat camber/rocker. The Ravens are great on firm snow and corn too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I’m on this page. I’m enjoying my 190 Ravens in up to a foot of powder and I’ve got some 106 Renegades on the way. Love the shape and flat camber/rocker. The Ravens are great on firm snow and corn too.

I actually went with the Raven as my 'most days' BC ski and love it. I still have not figured out what the second ski in my quiver should be. Most likely a spring oriented volcano ski. I'd love a Renegade or Hoji for pow days as well but I have a hard enough time getting out in the BC to justify it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ey_allen View Post
    I actually went with the Raven as my 'most days' BC ski and love it. I still have not figured out what the second ski in my quiver should be. Most likely a spring oriented volcano ski. I'd love a Renegade or Hoji for pow days as well but I have a hard enough time getting out in the BC to justify it right now.
    Ive found the renegade to be great in even in wetter/mashed tater snow, as it doesnt hookup too hard and still can surf on the surface rather than sinking in.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Post a pic of the damage.
    Any epoxy will work, although the slow-set or marine varieties are strongest, and clear will probably look best.
    https://imgur.com/a/9W8yCvB

You can sort of see how the base on that one side is pulling away. Should I just glob some epoxy in as much of the gap as I can, tuck the edge in, clamp with some wood blocks and clamps and wait?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1205.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	467.6 KB 
ID:	452125   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1206.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	447.8 KB 
ID:	452126  

Quote Originally Posted by ey_allen View Post
    I think Marshal’s Heritage Lab bc 90 will be a skinny lighter Raven. It’s profile and radius are nearly identical. Very similar construction. I bought a pair on pre order