Beginner board in Newport Beach

Looking to buy a beginner board to keep at a house in Newport Beach and would like some recommendations of shops. I typically come down a few times a year to visit family and have been borrowing a friends 8 ft wavestorm which seems to work fine but probably time to get my own board. I知 open to board suggestions and would like to shop local as opposed to just buy something off Amazon. I知 also open to used boards if anyone is looking to get rid of anything that would work for me. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by troth View Post
    Looking to buy a beginner board to keep at a house in Newport Beach and would like some recommendations of shops. I typically come down a few times a year to visit family and have been borrowing a friends 8 ft wavestorm which seems to work fine but probably time to get my own board. I知 open to board suggestions and would like to shop local as opposed to just buy something off Amazon. I知 also open to used boards if anyone is looking to get rid of anything that would work for me. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Check out the Odysea Catch Surf line. Still a softtop but actually a real board that you can surf most things with - unlike a Wavestorm.

Still nothing wrong with getting your own wavestorm. A great beginner board that any of your friends & family could use. Can normally find used cheap ones on facebook marketplace.

Not in Newport, but Progression in Encinitas always has a good selection of used boards in good shape with the dims you're probably looking for.
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Thanks for the help. I had been looking at a catch surf log or blank but wasn't sure if it is worth the extra cash over the wavestorm. I saw that catch surf has a shop in Laguna, if I cant find a good deal on Facebook market place for something used when im down there I will probably head to catch surf.

Go down to Used Surf in San Clemente. They have over a thousand used boards and knowledgable guys that can point you to what you would want. If you're honest and tell them what your ability is, where you surf regularly, and what your goals are, they will pick a much better board for you than you would for yourself.

Get in the groove with surfing and you'll be buying and selling boards through Used Surf all the time. It's an OC surf institution.

Quote Originally Posted by ate'em View Post
    Go down to Used Surf in San Clemente. They have over a thousand used boards and knowledgable guys that can point you to what you would want. If you're honest and tell them what your ability is, where you surf regularly, and what your goals are, they will pick a much better board for you than you would for yourself.

Get in the groove with surfing and you'll be buying and selling boards through Used Surf all the time. It's an OC surf institution.

Thanks. sounds like a good spot.

nice

Thanks

First, rent a hard board. I surf a 9 foot longboard and have surfed all my life. My Buddy was in town and He had taken up surfing about a year before. He is in great shape and from the Bay Area. Does the Iron Man Races. We went out to Pontos and He was struggling to catch waves on a 9 foot soft board. I let Him use my Harbour that day and His wave count went way up . I tried the soft top and because they float much higher in the water catching small waves on it was tough. I sent my buddy home with my oldest Harbour 9 foot board and He is doing great now.
    So, do yourself a favor and rent a good/ progressive longboard before you invest in another soft top

Thanks for the advice. Ended up getting pretty dialed from a family friend, they gave us a few stewart(two 9" and an 8") and a wavestorm.