Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Surefoot liners

Surefoot liners

Its new boot time, and I hate the whole process. It seems anyone that helps me at various boot shops is never someone I really think knows whats happening.

Anyways, I'm in Summit County skiing groomers for the week (from Salt Lake) and have decided its time. Anyways walked into Surefoot at Keystone and they promised me voodoo magic foam fit for like 1500 bucks without boot heaters.
    If that's the price I have to pay for performance fit and warm feet, so be it, but If I pay that much and still have cold toes I'll be really unhappy. I have a high arch, and like a tight fit. and I travel a lot, so a place that has locations everywhere is pretty valuable.

Anyone have experience with the foam injection gimmick? Seems like adding material isn't going to help unless the shell was a bit big to begin with. Current boot is a 5 year old Cochise 120, they had me in this years Cochise, or a Nordica, bro said I had a really high arch.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

My toes don’t get cold with my SF’s. My toes used to always get cold. I love mine, so if done right you should be pretty happy with it. Thought I heard a story or two of unhappy, but most everyone I talk to are happy with it too.

My Surefoot foam liners were, by far, the coldest lines I have ever worn. I thought they skied really well and felt very precise, but the cold led me to throw them away. I have several friends that had similar experiences, however, some folks swear by them and don't have issues with cold feet. This is definitely a YMMV kinda thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    My toes used to always get cold.
    One consideration I have is that my toes will go numb on warm days (think 50 degree spring) so it reads to me as a circulation issue more than a cold liner issue, and I don't know how to solve that.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

The new SF liners have built in heaters. Heating element wraps on top of toes which is nice. As long as you’re in the appropriate shell size the foam liners should work out well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I ski damn close to 200 days a year every year. I will not ski anything but surefoot liners with the built in heaters. They are expensive, but last forever. I typically get new shells every year (same last) and then just transfer the liners as they dont pack out. Its by far the highest performance and most comfortable setup around IMOP. So yes you do get what you pay for. Plus since the heating element is built into the top of the foot box, it actually works unlike those footbed heaters and it lasts. I never had a set of the foot bed heaters make it even a season before the cables broke. Any foam liner without a heater is going to be very cold do to the nature of how they are made so my advice is dont skimp on the heaters or you will regret it latter.

i gave them a shot this year just to compare to my zipfits after hearing of so many positive experiences from others.
    I found them basically equivalent to the stock liners in my lange RX130s.
    sloppy in the ankles and the foam encroached on existing 5th met punches that had been fine with zipfits.
    returned them for a full refund after two days.
    perhaps it was a bad mold or just simply not the liner for me, but i didn't want to keep faffing around with them when the zipfits are so good.

the built-in boot heaters do sound sweet and durable though!

make sure the heaters, in the liners, area easy to replace.

If you have a history of cold toes add heat to whatever you do. Socks footbeds or liners. Likely have a very rigid foot so no where for the blood to go once you apply the compression we generally want from a boot. Historically foam liners are cold as fuck.

wow 1500 for boot liners

if you get hotronic socks for way less $$$ you can wear them in any foot wear and easily buy more socks
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Its new boot time, and I hate the whole process. It seems anyone that helps me at various boot shops is never someone I really think knows whats happening.

Anyways, I'm in Summit County skiing groomers for the week (from Salt Lake) and have decided its time. Anyways walked into Surefoot at Keystone and they promised me voodoo magic foam fit for like 1500 bucks without boot heaters.
    If that's the price I have to pay for performance fit and warm feet, so be it, but If I pay that much and still have cold toes I'll be really unhappy. I have a high arch, and like a tight fit. and I travel a lot, so a place that has locations everywhere is pretty valuable.

Anyone have experience with the foam injection gimmick? Seems like adding material isn't going to help unless the shell was a bit big to begin with. Current boot is a 5 year old Cochise 120, they had me in this years Cochise, or a Nordica, bro said I had a really high arch.
    Go to the Surefoot in Breck. I have a ton of friends who swear by them and that shop is the best around. It is worth braving main st Breck for it. Otherwise you could go to a local bootfitter here and not pay the surefoot $$.

As far as boot heaters, socks are nice because you can use them year round in all shoes. Imagine camping with heated socks.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    wow 1500 for boot liners

if you get hotronic socks for way less $$$ you can wear them in any foot wear and easily buy more socks
    Thats for new Chochise 120 shells, and the liners.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Go to the Surefoot in Breck. I have a ton of friends who swear by them and that shop is the best around. It is worth braving main st Breck for it. Otherwise you could go to a local bootfitter here and not pay the surefoot $$.

As far as boot heaters, socks are nice because you can use them year round in all shoes. Imagine camping with heated socks.
    I've gotten a lot of reqs to try on the Dalbello Lupo AX120, but seems Surefoot isn't a dealer for them.

Drove down to Breck yesterday and was so frustrated driving through town I gave up before trying anything on. May have to take a drive back.

I think I'd have a lot better time trying it out of there was some type of money back guarantee, not just the "we'll make it fit thing".

Thinking I may go try some heated socks and wait until I get back home to try and find a good fitter, seems like the reasonable thing to do if I need follow up work.

My buddy wears his hotronix socks to go hunting in the fall,

the latest model with blue tooth/ biggest battery can be controled with a phone
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think I'd have a lot better time trying it out of there was some type of money back guarantee, not just the "we'll make it fit thing".
    for what it's worth, I got a full refund on my liners. I also had a buddy with shells/liners get a full refund after it didn't work out.

Have 4th toe neuroma’s and could not tolerate the heated socks. The elements/wires ran right under the neuroma and were excruciating

I rip the groomed on tele gear

I have a lot of experience with Surefoot. The first ones I got 6 years ago were unbelievably cold (even with Therm-ic footbed heaters), and it only took a few days before I told the shop they didn't work for me. No fuss, no muss, I got my $ back. I put in Intuitions and the cold issue went away, but the fit was a mess with my frankenfoot (104 forefoot, high arch, narrow heels, protruding ankle and lower leg suitable for a chicken).

Decided to try again late last year, and have been working on them this season. First, the built in heaters (on top), combined with the Thermic below make for warm and happy toes. I have them in Nordica Sportmachines (high arch is a bitch for even a Speedmachine), and they are far superior to the stock liners except for the ankle pocket.

That's the first rule is get the best fitting shell, but it seems you're there, so I'd say go for it. Mine don't fit perfect yet, but with the addition of some padding under the ankles we're getting a little closer every day.

I'm usually in SLC and am not enamored with the shop at Park City, as they seem to be unnecessarily quite impressed with themselves, and one guy in particular is a real asshole. I was at the Whistler shop a couple of weeks ago, and they seem more dialed in to being helpful (that's where I found out Speedmachines would be hopeless) and not such dicks, and very helpful in solving the final issues.

Now with the heaters - be advised, their batteries use a different charging set-up than the other later Therm-ic batteries (USB-C vs proprietary) if you want to have back up batteries, and even different than the older style square Therm-ics, so there's more gear for you, and the batteries are stupid expensive (scour the interwebs in the off season), but the Therm-ic ones at least can be optionally bluetooth controllable so that's a nice feature.

Given the guaranteed fit, and I can confirm they do live up to that, and the fact that you'll have an almost done liner out-of-the-box, as well as lots of shop who can (and do) help, it seems worthwhile to have a go at them.

Couple things to add:
    They switched foam type 5-6 years ago from hard (which was colder but way firmer and snug fitting) to soft foam (much warmer and less performance) So opinions on the boot
    will be very different based on year.
    If you get and you want good snug fit insist on them maxing the foam. I ended up with some slop and now need 2 ankle pads to make work-not what I thought I was paying for. Better locations/fitter will know this. The liner now (without heater) is average for warmth. I would :
    -insist on an understanding about returns
    -make sure they carry the right shell
    -consider a well fitted intuition
    -consider the new Atomic (firmer foam)

Life of a repo man is always intense.

Anyone know who carries the Atomic liners in SLC area?

I would check with Jans.

( and sfb ) skiJ

Google says SportsDen and LevelNine.

Good luck. skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    I would check with Jans.

( and sfb ) skiJ
    Thanks -Jans confirms they have (in my size!) and I'll be there next week. They said something about "painful fitting process".

Quote Originally Posted by Bite Me View Post
    Thanks -Jans confirms they have (in my size!) and I'll be there next week. They said something about "painful fitting process".
    You putting them in Atomic boots, or as replacement liners?

Surefoot liners

Definitely report back on Atomics
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

You putting them in Atomic boots, or as replacement liners?
    They'd be going into Nordica Sportmachines. These 2021 shells have had tweaked Nordica liners and Surefits. The Noridica's were plush and had great heel hold. The Surefits are better everywhere else, but the heel hold is just OK. Trying to find something that does it all. The Intuition power wraps from the last boots are too big being high volume to make up the big shell. This is probably the last try for these shells.

Looks like there's a delay - trip cancelled today due to crap conditions and no snow on the horizon.

They'd be going into Nordica Sportmachines. These 2021 shells have had tweaked Nordica liners and Surefits. The Noridica's were plush and had great heel hold. The Surefits are better everywhere else, but the heel hold is just OK. Trying to find something that does it all. The Intuition power wraps from the last boots are too big being high volume to make up the big shell. This is probably the last try for these shells.

Looks like there's a delay - trip cancelled today due to crap conditions and no snow on the horizon.