Definitely a Conversation worth having. Last spring during a Storm Day we were one of the first groups up buffalo to ski the silver. After summiting and riding to the entrance there was now three groups there at the entrance transitioning. They let us go first but we all got on the same radio channel and radioed back up after we had cleared the exit then the next group dropped. Maybe at popular trailheads have a radio channel posted to let everyone know and be on the same page. I think that worked out well in this particular case after hanging at the trailhead the later groups said there were upwards of 20 people looking to ski that line and not everyone was waiting their turn and this was a stormy socked in day. With the crowds and increased popularity the margins of safety are becoming thinner and thinner.

Just to clarify this thread for future posters: The OP was referring to the Sliver Couloir on Nez Perce Peak in Grand Teton National Park, not the Silver Couloir on Buffalo Mountain in Colorado.

I definitely understood that it was Silver on Nez Perce just adding to the convo about popular lines and the ever crowding backcountry all over the west

so no comment from the boarder i take it? sounds like he left during the rescue?

I don't get why they didn't talk to the snowboarder when he passed them. Probably an unwritten rule in Jackson not to talk to anyone else.

Common radio channels that are in use in Telluride and elsewhere might have helped as well. https://www.skimag.com/gear/backcoun...ies-explained/

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I don't get why they didn't talk to the snowboarder when he passed them. Probably an unwritten rule in Jackson not to talk to anyone else.

Common radio channels that are in use in Telluride and elsewhere might have helped as well. https://www.skimag.com/gear/backcoun...ies-explained/
    I don't know about unwritten rule, but I've been surprised at how many groups I've encountered in the last couple of years don't even want to make eye contact. Ask em what their plan is and they can be pretty defensive.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    I don't know about unwritten rule, but I've been surprised at how many groups I've encountered in the last couple of years don't even want to make eye contact. Ask em what their plan is and they can be pretty defensive.
    agreed. i'm not the most outgoing guy but i always try and at least say hello and engage in convo if they seem interested in chatting.

Any shit smeared on the snowboarders door handles?

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

This is another reason why I don't ski stuff like this any more.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Ask em what their plan is and they can be pretty defensive.
    I’ve noticed this too. It’s like they think you are fishing for a plan to snake their line, when the opposite is true. I’m trying to avoid going where they are going, and I’ll change plans if needed.

The Eiger north face was first climbed by two Austrians and two Germans who started the climb a day apart and joined up on the mountain to continue the climb as one team.
    Does that sort of thing happen in the mountains any more.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The Eiger north face was first climbed by two Austrians and two Germans who started the climb a day apart and joined up on the mountain to continue the climb as one team.
    Does that sort of thing happen in the mountains any more.
    Yes it does. Most people are still awesome but the footprint of the mountain douchebag is getting bigger and unfortunately more normalized (possible reflective society in general?). Use this as motivation to build relationships with your touring partners and go deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Any shit smeared on the snowboarders door handles?
    That was definitely not Lee Lau (or his wife)

Whole thing is weird. Maybe it's different in other parts of the world but if someone is digging a pit, I like to stop and see what they're seeing. Never had anybody say no. Also like to volunteer my day's plans first and say I'm happy to talk modifying if my plan doesn't jive with their plan.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I’ve noticed this too. It’s like they think you are fishing for a plan to snake their line, when the opposite is true. I’m trying to avoid going where they are going, and I’ll change plans if needed.
    It may be their plan is something that isn't on everyone's radar and they want to keep it that way. Much like you don't post locations on instagram. Not defending the douchiness just suggesting other reasons for it.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.