beginner skis for full-grown man

I've got a buddy who decided to learn to ski this year. He got a season rental from a local shop, soft short beginner skis. The other day was probably his third day out and he stepped up to his first blue run, which seemed more or less an appropriate move for where he's at in learning. Unfortunately the snow on the steeper runs was really hard. He struggled, I watched the skis just fold underneath him, he just could not transmit any power into the edges.

So I think he could benefit from a stiffer ski. Not just because harder snow is gnarly with these little noodles, but also because he doesn't really know how to use the skis yet, and it seems to me like he can't learn if the skis just crumple when he pushes on them. But maybe super-soft skis are what beginners need for a while? I don't really have any good experience teaching beginners.

When should beginners move up to a stiffer ski? What ski is appropriate for a beginner who's about 6 foot 200 lbs?
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

Praxis Rx

bent chetler 100

What’s the men’s equivalent of a Blizzard Black Pearl 88?

(I don’t believe that’s something that Blizzard makes)

Isn't that the Brahma?

Anyhow, maybe get him on some Rustler 9s? Supposedly they carve well, but are very manageable.
    And at some point he's going to end up in a mogul field...

Soul 7

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Isn't that the Brahma?

Anyhow, maybe get him on some Rustler 9s? Supposedly they carve well, but are very manageable.
    And at some point he's going to end up in a mogul field...
    Brahma is the closest in the Blizzard lineup but I think it’s a fair bit burlier than a black pearl? (About 200g heavier)

Rustler 9 probably isn’t a bad choice. K2 Mindbender 90 Ti is maybe closest to the Black Pearl, more so than a Brahma.

Edit: timely post over on the Blizzard thread “The new Brahma seems more serious than I want. The R9 too clownish.” So K2 Mindbender it is!

Whatever is at the rental fleet until day 5

Something K2 around 175cm length?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

There’s the blizzard thunderbird series, and the nordica navigator series. Get something easy to learn on with decent rocker, camber and taper. I dunno something for an intermediate skier that they can learn fundamentals on. Plus you can pick up all the mid 70s system skis for cheap and it’s plenty of ski to learn on.

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/skiing...ode=zecherc572

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Actually I'm pretty sure this is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    There’s the blizzard thunderbird series, and the nordica navigator series. Get something easy to learn on with decent rocker, camber and taper. I dunno something for an intermediate skier that they can learn fundamentals on. Plus you can pick up all the mid 70s system skis for cheap and it’s plenty of ski to learn on.

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/skiing...ode=zecherc572
    6’, 200 lb. guy is going to out-ski a 1750g ski (Navigator) in short order, right?

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    So we’ve agreed on a 177cm Mindbender 90 Ti then?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    What’s the men’s equivalent of a Blizzard Black Pearl 88?

(I don’t believe that’s something that Blizzard makes)
    It was the Bushwacker and is a good idea for what OP wants.

If he has a season rental from a local shop, why not just go to the shop and see if they have any stiffer skis that he could swap for? Maybe in their demo fleet?

Seems like most places that rent skis have their generic shitty rentals, but then also some nicer stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    6’, 200 lb. guy is going to out-ski a 1750g ski (Navigator) in short order, right?

I mean to some extent. But it’s going to be the most helpful proper progression. They probably have something like this as a rental like what was just said. There has to be a shop that has higher end rental stuff

He probably can go back to the shop and level up, he just really has no idea yet what he needs or should ask for.

beginner skis for full-grown man

I started with the Blizzard bushwhacker (brahma ca) and moved to the Rustler 9 that is stiffer when I was intermediate (2 weeks of skiing), mainly because I wanted a longer length.