Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Who the fuck can ski with a wadded power strap in their shell.m?! Are you not using laces either?
    booster (elastic) straps are meant to be run inside the shell on top of the liner tongue. i agree a non-elastic typical power strap shouldn't be.
    GoldenBC, ditch the non-elastic velcro power strap for a booster strap if you really want to increase the performance of your shell.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    New to Zipfit here. I’ve got the GFT in a Zero G. I find the tongue extremely soft and it folds over the top of the shell. I’m also a power strap on the liner kind of guy (replaced stock one with a big fat Velcro one) and I find the shape of the plastic on the GFT tongue is too curved. This makes it curve away from my shin and also wedge the power strap downwards so it’s loose or just not on the tongue.

I am about to get more cork to put in the tongue but I’m curious if this will actually fix the problem.

Any tips or similar experiences?
    I second the rest of what joey said wrt to the zgft.
    the tongue should be pressed down onto the instep, if it's not pushed down properly it feels weird and misshapen. overly curved like you said.
    i am confused by your tongue softness concern. it's a touring liner, the tongue is soft to allow for more ROM and literally has a cut-out in the tongue plastic for this very purpose. the shell is what holds you up while skiing anyways.

zero complaints about my ZGFTs.
    over 50,000ft vert since i got them last April and my feet are so frickin' happy on both the up and down for once.
    who cares about the weight when the performance/comfort increases are well worth it.
    if anything, i'm now questioning the ZGPTs and thinking of going for some quattros

For those with issues donning them into their shells.
    apply some gorilla tape vertically along the center inside of the rear cuff. it may take a couple pieces to achieve full coverage along all the sharp and pointy bits depending upon the walk/ski mechanism. this will prevent any snags on the inner surfaces of the cuff (easing entry) and protect the liners for longevity. If you really want, you can apply some silkote to further ease the entry (just a tiny bit only along the tape).
    don feet into liners, then liners into shells. don't be shy about using both hands to open up the cuff and clog. always standing, trying while sitting is an exercise in futility with the ZGPT at least. walk or ski mode is up to you. varies from shell to shell and person to person. whatever gets it done.

Thanks for the advice guys but not relevant. My power straps are on the liner above the shell. As I do with all my boots I’ve ever had. I prefer a rigid strap over a booster to stiffen the boot. The tongue is not pulled up at all, I always push it down to snug up on the ankle.

The GFT tongue is exactly the same as the Gara tongue. There is nothing different in the construction for touring, nor does there need to be for ROM. Your tongue hinges at the bottom of the ankle and doesn’t affect anything no matter how stiff it is up top. This is the only tongue on a boot that I can grab and fold over the top of the shell.

Interesting to hear no one else has this issue. The main issues being that it curves away from my shin and makes play at the top of the boot that the strap is unable to fix. I’ll see what more cork does.

I have this same issue with my Gara on my left foot only. The tongue seems to want to curve outward away from the shin rather than hug my shin uniformly, even with a booster strap. I have a lot of added cork throughout the left tongue due to an extremely low instep, but I'm not sure if that contributes to the problem. It's also noticeable when I just wear my liners before I enter my boots. I don't have helpful advice for you, but I've noticed this myself and haven't really figured it out.

I’m curious if the tongues can get stretched during the heating/molding process. It’s interesting that it’s only on one of yours.

Been fiddling with my GFT and ZGPT as I wasn’t pumped on the walk mode. Removing the Velcro power strap that comes on the Zipfit liner made my walk mode bigger and much smoother. This is from more flexibility in the liner and less snagging on stuff inside the boot.

@Golden BC: I can determine the similar, assume that the Zipfit strap presses on the tongue, increasing the bulge.

Other question: on my left liner presses me at the height of the attachment of the lacing probably the tongue / plastic of the tongue on the inside on the foot, does anyone know? Much play with the cork there is not?

The zipfit GFT 25.5 I bring almost not at all in the Lange XT3 lv. too much instep. The shoe over the instep closes only thanks to the closing of the buckles.
    in the Cochise 130, 25. it goes pretty fitting, except for the above.

Open question to those with GFT experience.

Me: 165 lbs - 5’ 9”.

Boots: Radical Pro

Skis:

- Big days / couloir hunting: Superwolf 178 w/ Plum Pikas
    - Midwinter / Soft snow: Deathwish Tour w/ Voyager 12’s

I probably tour 30-40 days a year on my dedicated setup. The lion’s share of my outings are assisted with lift access (Whistler Slackcountry or Sea to Sky Gondola). I do some big (2000m+) days in the Duffey when I can as well.

I’ve been running a (beat to shit) Tour Wrap in my boots. They’re *fine* but not the greatest walking liner, and as they’ve packed out they’ve become less enjoyable on the descent. I’ll probably want to replace these at some point before spring.

Originally I was thinking about running a Pro Tour in my boots (apparently it walks significantly better and may offer a better fit for my foot shape - skinny ankle, narrower heel, big ass instep). However, my local shop has given me a heads up they’ll be getting some GFT stock in for the first time soon.

My question: do many folks here run the GFT for proper ski mountaineering objectives? Can these do a decent job as a liner for pushing big days?

At this point in time, I’m debating grabbing a GFT and bringing back my (stock - unskied) ultralon liners that the Radicals originally came with for bigger efforts. I’d run the GFTs when my vertical for the day is under 1200-1300m and sub in a light liner for bigger efforts.

Curious to hear people’s opinions.

GFT is much heavier, about the same ROM, skis way the fuck better and has better heel hold for me. Worth it, even for bigger days for me. That said, for really long dicking around sorts of tours w/o big descents, I end up using the stock, flimsy OG ZGTP liner in TLT5s. If i had just one liner, it would be the GFT.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bamski
    My question: do many folks here run the GFT for proper ski mountaineering objectives? Can these do a decent job as a liner for pushing big days?
    I picked up the GFTs last season expecting to only use them for shorter/descent-focused tours. They ski so well that I ended up using them for big days too, including for the triple crown (Joffre-Matier-Slalok) and Mamquam peak. In my experience you will not want to go back to a non-Zipfit touring liner once you’ve skied them.

anyone getting cold toes in them?

Sent from my SM-G780G using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Anyone getting lace wear in a ZGTP? This is happening in my partner's boot, about ~15 days of use. Feels a little too high up to be the rivet on the instep, but perhaps that's what it is?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1710.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	446240

Looks like from the shell's two sides overlap, maybe the plastic tongue part there pushing the lace into the gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossymcg View Post
    anyone getting cold toes in them?

Definitely. It’s noticeable. I’m pnw, so it’s rarely a “problem” but would prolly be in interior climes if you’re not moving a lot (avy class, waiting for people). Dunno what a solve would be apart from toe warmers (no thanks).

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Definitely. It’s noticeable. I’m pnw, so it’s rarely a “problem” but would prolly be in interior climes if you’re not moving a lot (avy class, waiting for people). Dunno what a solve would be apart from toe warmers (no thanks).
    I had cold toes in plus temps before it got cold my side. I've never suffered cold toes before

i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    I picked up the GFTs last season expecting to only use them for shorter/descent-focused tours. They ski so well that I ended up using them for big days too, including for the triple crown (Joffre-Matier-Slalok) and Mamquam peak. In my experience you will not want to go back to a non-Zipfit touring liner once you’ve skied them.
    Very encouraging. My feet are annoying for ski boots. My overall foot is average/ slightly wide width, narrow-ish heel, slimmer ankle, phat instep. Resort boots work best when sized down, but in my experience, touring boots are agony if I try for a 10mm shell fit. As a result, I ski with maybe a 15-16mm shell fit and have to shim / pad for problem spots. It seems like the GFT is made with folks like me in mind!

I have a wide forefoot , low volume heel and ankle, and a bony instep that's getting cranky. The Mercury boots with the original liners worked really well for me. I tried protours and the hold was never as good. Tour wraps felt great in the garage, but touring the ROM is abysmal. Both have excessive volume that makes closing boots a PITA. For resort, I use old khions with zifits WC. I removed a lot of the zipfits' plastic and leather. Damn, the zipfits are nice. They are excellent liners except for their weight and coldness. Boot gloves mitigate cold toes. Surprisingly, the ROM on my Khions with zipfits with only the walk mode open is better than the ROM on my Mercury with the tour wrap fully opened. The zipfit neoprene effortlessly stretches and moves with the shell. I can downsize a shell size, my toes are happy, and zipfits work well with shell punches. The zipfit inner lining is plush, and I've never had a zipfit rip. Intuitions don't last that long, and when the liner rips, I get nasty blisters. I am seriously considering GFT with a 1200g-ish boot. I'd rather have a snug-fitting UL boot than a sloppy-fitting stiff boot.

Brought home my shiny new GFTs. I’ll report back soon. They feel fackin’ BURLY but they walk pretty smooth! (better than my tour wraps)

8 tubes of cork later in my zeroG and I’m stoked how they are skiing. Ankle hold is deadly. Forefoot was swimming but I put in some bontex shims. I need to shrink some of my punches. Bit tricky figuring out forefoot volume with these but getting close.

I still dislike how soft the tongue is. I’ve chased most of the cork to the very top of the tongue and it sits a little more flush to my shin.

Been wearing my boots around the house to suss out hotspots and loose areas to hit with cork. The heel hold on these is.. substantial to say the least. Almost like my entire Achilles is being grabbed. One foot in my intuition and one in these - the GFT is definitely more comfortable around my toes. My high instep usually makes my feet cold and uncomfortable - but these feel noticeably warmer just standing around.

For those of you reading - 490g for a 25.5.

Question to the GFT users. How should I evaluate if it’s worth adding more cork? Ski 5-6 more days and see if there’s any performance lacking?

These are my first zipfits ever - so I’m not entirely sure how a dialled pair should feel. I have a fairly skinny ankle and was thinking an easy option would be to add a small bit of cork to the front-most pouch of the two ankle bladders on the side of my instep. I think I’d also benefit from some extra cork down low in the tongue.

If you feel you have any movement near your ankle or heel add more cork. You can lock your foot in as tight as you want. If you find your forefoot loose because of how much room they give you, deal with that first (shims etc) then fill with cork.

I find most people at the shop keep coming back for more cork. I’m at 9 tubes and a big shim in my 10mm fit zero G. A coworker is at 9 in his Hawx ultra. A buddy has 8 tubes in just his tongues in a Hoji free. Just add cork until it’s too tight. Go ski and it will loosen off, then reassess.

Any tips on how to tell if it is better to add cork to the tongue or heel pockets?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    If you feel you have any movement near your ankle or heel add more cork. You can lock your foot in as tight as you want. If you find your forefoot loose because of how much room they give you, deal with that first (shims etc) then fill with cork.

I find most people at the shop keep coming back for more cork. I’m at 9 tubes and a big shim in my 10mm fit zero G. A coworker is at 9 in his Hawx ultra. A buddy has 8 tubes in just his tongues in a Hoji free. Just add cork until it’s too tight. Go ski and it will loosen off, then reassess.
    That is an outrageous amount of cork! Damn! Skied some more, and I definitely need some more hold around the base of my shin (skinny ankle with big “gaps” above the foot). Heel pocket is feeling good, so I’ll probably start by adding at least a half tube to each tongue.

Getting some discomfort on my ankle bones - but I did some research and found that Zipfit doesn’t pack any cork in to the centre pouch of the ankle pocket. I’m going to experiment with a bit of cork on my medial and lateral ankle bones of each foot too.

If I have a high instep and am prone to cutting off circulation- is there any particular area I should avoid adding cork to?

Kind of a jong question but I am thinking of buying 1 zipfit liner.

I ski two different boots:

hawx resort
    hawx xtd touring

80% of my skiing is in bounds. Quiz on zipfit.com says go gara instead of GFT. Question is do I go with GFT and ski it in my resort boot or do I buy Gara and tour with it?

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    Kind of a jong question but I am thinking of buying 1 zipfit liner.

I ski two different boots:

hawx resort
    hawx xtd touring

80% of my skiing is in bounds. Quiz on zipfit.com says go gara instead of GFT. Question is do I go with GFT and ski it in my resort boot or do I buy Gara and tour with it?
    I run Garas in my Lupos and they tour fine. I do notice the difference in weight vs the stock liners but its not much. Can't say I really notice much of a difference in ROM as the Lupo doesn't have much. I've only got a couple 1k+ meter days on em and one short slack country day but I freaking love them skiing down and think they're well worth it if your spending 80% of your time in bounds.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk