Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Suggestions for an off-road bikepack shakedown route in northern New England? Mountain biking. In advance of a Colorado Trail trip. So I would like to camp.
    https://www.tipsyrider.com/2015/07/0...-area-vermont/

Suggestions for an off-road bikepack shakedown route in northern New England? Mountain biking. In advance of a Colorado Trail trip. So I would like to camp.
    I’ve got a 3 day ride in the Katahdin Woods & Waters monument area on my radar.

When are you thinking?

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Wow that looks rad! Have you done it?
    I had heard of velomont but this is different, right? Velomont isn't done yet?
    I think this would be amazing round-trip.
    Let's just say you have planted a seed...
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I’ve got a 3 day ride in the Katahdin Woods & Waters monument area on my radar.

When are you thinking?

I don't have any specific time in mind. But if you have dates for your crew that could spur me into action.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

I've always been curious about that area!
    Great spot for a shakedown.
    I think that could be a great long day epic ride.
    I was looking at that trip report and trailforks and noticed the area on the southern end of Lake Dunmore is called Satan's Kingdom!
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Several mags have it on our radar to ride during the July 4th week as a 5-6 day tour.

I haven't done it myself, but a few of my friends who are into bikepacking have. I have driven along a good portion of the northern route (powerline roads) for work and they are beautiful, albeit quite steep in some places.

Idk about velomount, but this route is pretty new according to that link

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app

I don't have any specific time in mind. But if you have dates for your crew that could spur me into action.
    I’ll talk to the crew, couple friends who have done it are interested in going again

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Several mags have it on our radar to ride during the July 4th week as a 5-6 day tour.
    That would be sweet but I already gave plans that week. Post a report.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

A new business is being proposed locally and if it passes we're going to lose an entire network of trails. It's a small network, but trails nonetheless.

It's getting a bit brutal. Now we have three areas that we could potentially lose.

Progress...

Check out the XVT. I've been doing it in sections over the summer. One section left, and you can camp or credit card tour and stay in B&Bs and hotels.
    https://wanderingbybicycle.com/2016/...-route-part-1/

This summer I'm gonna do the VTXL, another VT end to end route but for gravel bikes. Doing a mix of camping/huts.
    https://bikepacking.com/routes/vtxl/

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    Check out the XVT. I've been doing it in sections over the summer. One section left, and you can camp or credit card tour and stay in B&Bs and hotels.
    https://wanderingbybicycle.com/2016/...-route-part-1/

This summer I'm gonna do the VTXL, another VT end to end route but for gravel bikes. Doing a mix of camping/huts.
    https://bikepacking.com/routes/vtxl/
    What about vtxl one way, xvt back?

I was also wondering about credit card touring it... then I wouldn't need to go as nuts with the gear and planning
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

What about vtxl one way, xvt back?

I was also wondering about credit card touring it... then I wouldn't need to go as nuts with the gear and planning
    Correct on your earlier statement...Velomont is a long term project, still years away. The closest to it is the XVT. There are some burlier class IV road sections on that and it does link a lot of singletrack throughout the state.

VTXL not as friendly for credit card touring, but it can be done with some detours. We road 2/3 of XVT from the MA border to Waitsfield, and only carried food/clothing. No tent/sleeping bag/cooking kit. This summer gonna do the VTXL in one push. Planning on bringing lightweight camping gear but no food prep stuff. Plenty of small towns/places to get food in VT and my wife will meet me at a couple campgrounds with our van and some food.

Doing these as a loop would be pretty cool.

There is also the Super 8, but that's all gravel. Keeping in mind that gravel riders around here run the spectrum from dirt road to long-abandoned class IV roads that are barely passable on ATV...

https://bikepacking.com/event/vermont-super-8-2021/

Correct on your earlier statement...Velomont is a long term project, still years away. The closest to it is the XVT. There are some burlier class IV road sections on that and it does link a lot of singletrack throughout the state.

VTXL not as friendly for credit card touring, but it can be done with some detours. We road 2/3 of XVT from the MA border to Waitsfield, and only carried food/clothing. No tent/sleeping bag/cooking kit. This summer gonna do the VTXL in one push. Planning on bringing lightweight camping gear but no food prep stuff. Plenty of small towns/places to get food in VT and my wife will meet me at a couple campgrounds with our van and some food.

Doing these as a loop would be pretty cool.

There is also the Super 8, but that's all gravel. Keeping in mind that gravel riders around here run the spectrum from dirt road to long-abandoned class IV roads that are barely passable on ATV...

https://bikepacking.com/event/vermont-super-8-2021/
    What's the super 8? Besides a luxury motel.

https://www.vermontbikepackers.org/
    That website answers all questions about routes. Excellent
    Last edited by jhyatt; 04-12-2022 at 11:08 AM.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Keeping in mind that gravel riders around here run the spectrum from dirt road to long-abandoned class IV roads that are barely passable on ATV...]
    uuhh it's called pavé and it's very classy.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Snort!

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I figured there had to be a name for it!

Just a reminder to wear a thick chamois and liberally apply butter for your first few rides of the season. I’m paying the price for not following such advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Just a reminder to wear a thick chamois and liberally apply butter for your first few rides of the season. I’m paying the price for not following such advice.
    Neosporin is your friend.

Anyone know anything about good trail networks in PA? Planning a road trip that involves visiting family near Lancaster eventually.

Might swing it through the Upstates for a UC pickup and head towards Pittsburgh then back towards Lancaster before veering back to Maine.

Second week of May-ish give or take a few days either way.

Had a fun day at Allegrippis Trails at Raystown Lake a few years ago. Great pump track and miles and miles of flowy XC riding. We showed up in the pouring rain, and being from Vermont, assumed everything would be shut down. Met a ranger in the parking lot and he looked confused about the question--go ride he said. Trails are only closed when they are washed out, apparently. Had a blast.

That place came up in a quick googlefu, looks pretty good

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

22 NE - Just get out and ride

Ticket checker, I’m about an hour from Lancaster and can definitely give you plenty of detailed suggestions. Raystown is a good suggestion, but decently far from Lancaster.

General suggestions:

Allegrippis/Raystown super super flowy no rocks, pretty much opposite of much of rest of PA.

State College has soo many miles of ridiculousness. Multiple IMBA Epics; Coopers Gap and Rothrock Trail Mix. All bigger climbs and rough/Rocky singletrack

Some stuff around my area as well, best of which is probably Birdsboro area with good mix of flow and rocks.

Mt Penn really tech with a new bike park-esque massive jump line.

My backyard is Marsh Creek and Harmony Hill areas and I could give you a great local tour of either. Not too far from you.

PM me if you want any more details. Plenty of other spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by VTskibum; 04-23-2022 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Ticket checker, I’m about an hour from Lancaster and can definitely give you plenty of detailed suggestions. Raystown is a good suggestion, but decently far from Lancaster.

General suggestions:

Allegrippis/Raystown super super flowy no rocks, pretty much opposite of much of rest of PA.

State College has soo many miles of ridiculousness. Multiple IMBA Epics; Coopers Gap and Rothrock Trail Mix. All bigger climbs and rough/Rocky singletrack

Some stuff around my area as well, best of which is probably Birdsboro area with good mix of flow and rocks.

Mt Penn really tech with a new bike park-esque massive jump line.

My backyard is Marsh Creek and Harmony Hill areas and I could give you a great local tour of either. Not too far from you.

PM me if you want any more details. Plenty of other spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks mang! Planning committee is working feverishly to accommodate in laws and outlaws on this trip

Thoughts on riding this weekend? Ideally I’d head to North Conway if it’s open (I heard hurricane is closed). I know today is supposed to be relatively damp but not a full on washout. The test of the week and weekend look better.

Any beta is appreciated.