sth2 wtr vs mnc toes

Longshot, but anyone got the mnc version of the sth2 in their hands yet? Is the baseplate the only thing that differs? Looks like heels and the toe assembly other than the base are identical, but have only seen photos. Would be great to get new baseplates instead of a a whole new binding for my inserted sth2s...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_l0v3AsRPY

F*ck answered my own question. Toe casting is of course slightly different to not accept swaps...

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_l0v3AsRPY

F*ck answered my own question. Toe casting is of course slightly different to not accept swaps...
    I have the new ones. Pattern is the same, just a longer screw. I was able to attach the new ones into the original pattern on two of my skis.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post
    I have the new ones. Pattern is the same, just a longer screw. I was able to attach the new ones into the original pattern on two of my skis.

But the toe casting is slightly different between versions right? You can't swap plastic baseplates from mnc to wtr it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMarkus View Post

Any thoughts/review?
    Improvement? Step backwards? Or neutral and buy whichever are priced right if you don’t really care about MNC?

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    But the toe casting is slightly different between versions right? You can't swap plastic baseplates from mnc to wtr it seems.
    From my understanding, new 16 binding should be wtr, GW, and touring compatable, so I'm not sure why you'd need to change baseplates, but I'll admit I'm not all-knowledgeable on the subject. From my understanding the STH 13 is NOT MNC, where the 16 is. So I suppose we need to differentiate which binding we're talking about now - not all STHs are the same anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Any thoughts/review?
    Improvement? Step backwards? Or neutral and buy whichever are priced right if you don’t really care about MNC?
    Probably too early to tell. I haven't skied on it yet, but at first glance I'm not impressed with the little switch. Feels fairly chintzy. It's essentially a plastic block that fills in space between the binding and ski: binding>plastic>ski in "direct," binding>rubber>ski in "progressive." I'll refrain from too much more judgement until I ski it. I'm also not stoked on the toe height going to 20mm stack height compared to its previous 18mm. But again, I don't know how much I'll notice, so I'll save any additional judgement until I ski it.

Edit: can't find a lot of coherent agreement on the OG height vs. the new.

Bumping this thread… anyone have strong preferences for or against the new STH2 MNC 16? Specifically, I’m curious if the “progressive” option provides a more damp ride than the STH2 WTR 13’s.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The sth2 16 was by default on the progressive setting all the time. When they introduced the progressive/direct switch it just gave you the opportunity to lock it out and make it direct.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    The sth2 16 was by default on the progressive setting all the time. When they introduced the progressive/direct switch it just gave you the opportunity to lock it out and make it direct.
    Does that go for the WTR 13’s as well? Are they essentially set to progressive all the time?

Yes, rubber inlays on both 13 and 16.

I was able to fondle one of the toes in the last couple months, the switch is less gimmicky than people make it out to be, essentially rotates solid plastic between the afd and the ski, such that the toe forces bypass the TPU layer that all sth2 bindings have in the toes (and also the heels fwiw). Whether it has any effect on binding performance is hard to say, but it doesnt really add any weight, nor does it look particularly fragile or prone to icing.

Marketing the progressive vs direct mode makes no sense to me. The elasticity and dampening qualities are a big part of what I love (along with easy step-in and predictable release) about this binding, and I’m unaware of skiers asking for less? If using rubber soles adds unnecessary play that needs to be countered by blocking the dampening built into the binding, that at least seems coherent, but is contradicted by the marketing. Or is it that the sliding AFD fucks with the release qualities (it must change something) with alpine soles and needs to be countered? Any idea what’s actually going on?