Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildfire 2022

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/8152/69067/

Sounds like the Pipeline Fire was intentionally set. So infuriating.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I’ve been wondering if, what with the personnel exodus from federal fire, the FS/BLM/NPS/etc. have enough people these days with the training and (more importantly) savvy and experience to safely pull off Rx ops.
    The rx burn folks that I follow on Twitter were all pretty bummed about the USFS chief’s call. In CA, there have been plenty of successful rx burns since that USFS ban went in place. Larger private property burns in Napa, lake, Sonoma, and Mendo area, USAF larger grassland burns, NPS burns in Yosemite. I wonder how many rx burns on USFS lands east of the Mississippi were postponed because of the ban?

I'm all for Rx burns but as someone with no knowledge of the subject it seems to me the season for them must be getting shorter and shorter and favorable conditions getting rarer and rarer. Given the historic drought in the SW is there any truly safe time to do them in the region, especially in the places that need them the most. I'm asking the professionals here.

so far its so wet up here the fire crews are building mtnbike trails instead of being deployed
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm all for Rx burns but as someone with no knowledge of the subject it seems to me the season for them must be getting shorter and shorter and favorable conditions getting rarer and rarer. Given the historic drought in the SW is there any truly safe time to do them in the region, especially in the places that need them the most. I'm asking the professionals here.
    Rx burns follow (or should follow) specific conditions for the fuel and weather conditions to achieve the stated/desired objectives. The time of year shouldn’t be a deciding factor. If the fuels are too dry (or moist) or the weather conditions and forecast aren’t favorable, call it off.

All that said, Rx plans are based to an extent on historical experience, and things are not the way they used to be. There are other factors involved in the timing like budget, current wildfire activity, personnel capability and availability, wildlife issues, social issues, and politics. These can put pressure on the agency to try to get things done. There’s also the issue that fuel accumulation and/or ecological deterioration will continue if the Rx project isn’t implemented.

An example, Beale AFB, at the toe of the western Sierra foothills, has been conducting rx burns the past few weeks in grassland areas. They lit up these areas on days following red flag warnings after humidity increased, winds were more favorable, and overall conditions met their prescription and burn objectives.

Calfire lit a broadcast burn this winter near Redding during a wind event (no burn day for general public) and had to evacuate a subdivision.

Saw this on another weather site. Pipeline fire looking more like a volcano!
    https://twitter.com/HotshotWake/stat...04214116716544
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

This smoke movement yesterday is pretty impressive.
    https://twitter.com/MichelMarizco/st...20538121220100

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220614-124003.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	418876

It's looking a shit ton more civilized and low intensity today. Hopefully activity in the Inner Basin is burning healthy.

Yesterday was scary to watch, today not so much.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    so far its so wet up here the fire crews are building mtnbike trails instead of being deployed
    guess I should have specified SW USA, not Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    It's looking a shit ton more civilized and low intensity today. Hopefully activity in the Inner Basin is burning healthy.
    This is the mentality that I’m trying to adopt. It’s a shift in thinking that is challenging for me, but it seems like what we all need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post

Yesterday was scary to watch, today not so much.
    Did it crest the ridge from the basin to the ski area? It's been 35 years since I was there but my recollection is that there was a fair bit of old growth in the basin and on the north side, is that what's been lost?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Did it crest the ridge from the basin to the ski area? It's been 35 years since I was there but my recollection is that there was a fair bit of old growth in the basin and on the north side, is that what's been lost?
    No, it went up from Shultz Pass and ran up to Doyle Saddle then down and into the Basin. It's a few miles from the ridge above the ski area. Winds were out of the S/SW and pushed it away from that side. It's way overgrown and covered in dead and down in the Basin. We had state and local politicians trying to do thinning projects back in the 80's and early 90's I believe but the Sierra Club shut that down and lobbied for a wilderness designation. The precious owls are getting cooked every year now. I do like the idea of wilderness but I'm not sure it's the best practice for management.

It ran through a good chunk of the beautiful, big iconic aspen stand already but I think they are fairly fire resistant and it didn't look too hot today so I'm remaining hopeful it's not too bad in there. It might be completely cooked which will be a tough pill to swallow. Maybe we'll get some new ski lines here and there.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    This is the mentality that I’m trying to adopt. It’s a shift in thinking that is challenging for me, but it seems like what we all need to do.

It's a freaking struggle. Watching those flames yesterday was messing with everyones emotions but, fire is a part of the western landscape and it needs to burn so I try to keep myself in check.

The Tunnel fire last month was a nice wake up call. Everyone was freaking out about that one and in the end, once I drove north on 89 it was like, oh damn, this looks like a healthy burn. I guess 90 or so % of it was low intensity and what forestry experts say we want to happen. The 30 structures lost sucks but we're going to have that I guess.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

guess I should have specified SW USA, not Canada.
    well its just tourist info
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Same here. Have to think on a bigger time scale as well and not be so self centered and emotional about fire. The places I love to ride and hike most are all national forests so it kills me when those places burn. The fire in Sequoia NF/Park a couple years back really stung. Have been up in Shaver Lake/Bass Lake areas for a few days. The Creek fire definitely nuked a few areas but mostly what I've seen hasn't been as bad as I expected.

Article about the disagreement between CalFire--full immediate suppression--and USFS--letting some fires burn. There is a Republican bill in the House of Representatives that would force the USFS to do full immediate suppression. I'm not qualified to comment on the pros and cons but I do know that having Congress decide how fires are fought or not fought is a very bad idea.
    https://www.moonshineink.com/tahoe-n...ded-practices/

Wildfire 2022

Fuck LaMalfa, McClintock, and Dahle (both husband and wife)

…I do know that having Congress decide how fires are fought or not fought is a very bad idea.
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by MT View Post
    Recent update about staffing levels (CA centric, but anecdotally applicable to other states as well): https://wildfiretoday.com/2022/06/07...-to-70-filled/
    I've been seeing a lot of online ads for USFS FF jobs.

Fuck LaMalfa, McClintock, and Dahle (both husband and wife)
    I'm disappointed that after redistricting I don't get to vote against McClintock any more. Although this guy Kiley sounds just as bad. I do get to vote against Ms. Dahle I think, but no, I won't fuck her.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I’ve been wondering if, what with the personnel exodus from federal fire, the FS/BLM/NPS/etc. have enough people these days with the training and (more importantly) savvy and experience to safely pull off Rx ops.
    In Central OR they were burning right up to the moratorium. A real shame they didn’t make stand-down decisions by district. Its been incredibly cool and wet since April, which would have allowed way more Spring burn days than the usual 10-15. And there are shit loads of places here that need Rx fire.

The fire peeps here seem to know what they are doing - it’s pretty rare that Rx smoke gets into populated areas (a big issue in tourist economies), and I’m not aware of any that got away from them in last 10 years anyway.

Group files lawsuit over logging in Yosemite. NPS describes it as a thinning project. The group calls it clear cutting.
    https://www.fresnobee.com/news/calif...262477057.html

Fuck Chad Hanson

American lung association is “blessing” rx burning: https://www.modbee.com/health-wellne...262366487.html

And fuck Chad Hanson.