Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Wildfire 2022

Jeezus. Friend in NE Colo Spgs was evac'd earlier today, then there was a shelter-in-place order for the Colo Spgs airport in a 2nd incident, and now I hear there may be evac's in Teller County/Cripple Creek?

Fuck me.

1% humidity in multiple places in New Mexico? Damn.
    The NWS comment about needing to reach -22 before fog/clouds form puts that in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    1% humidity in multiple places in New Mexico? Damn.
    The NWS comment about needing to reach -22 before fog/clouds form puts that in perspective.
    That’s nuts. Which office?

Fuck it’s only mid May.

I got an alert that we may see/smell smoke from a prescribed fire in the Aspen area.

That doesn't seem like a good idea to me right now.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

A really nasty part of our forest.
    BTW, the last lightening was several weeks ago.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220517_165126.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	736.9 KB 
ID:	416711

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wildfire risk.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	512.1 KB 
ID:	416721

Wildfire 2022

I’m currently not too excited about how first street foundation portrays wildfire. Probability recurrence of wildfire in a wildfire adapted/dependent environment…. Really? Also, their model (like most fire modeling) is primarily based on canopy. Treatments that do not substantially disrupt the canopy will not change their model results.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I’m currently not too excited about how first street foundation portrays wildfire. Probability recurrence of wildfire in a wildfire adapted/dependent environment…. Really? Also, their model (like most fire modeling) is primarily based on canopy. Treatments that do not substantially disrupt the canopy will not change their model results.

Upon further review the maps above seem like a climate model applied to fires rather than a fire model w climatic variables.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Upon further review the maps above seem like a climate model applied to fires rather than a fire model w climatic variables.
    That’s an interesting way to consider it. I want to take another close look at their data with that point of view in mind. I’ve been trying to make heads or tails of their output. I’ve heard one presentation from one of their fire ecologist that did a lot of work under the hood, and I’ve heard another fire ecologist not involved in the project give a presentation that intentionally clarified the meaning of model outputs (and what to expect from those outputs) and slightly contradicted the conclusion/output from first street foundation.

I believe their flood model outputs are highly in question about their viability and accuracy.

Holy F'in Nihilism ; the seeds of our own destruction reside within us each and every one.

Lock that fucker up and throw away the key.

Name:	Image1653447806.431565.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	417345

Taken from the ridge behind my house. Durango.

That’s Perins Peak.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Name:	Image1653447880.794732.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	417347Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1653447897.849545.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	417348

Wildfire 2022

Name:	Image1653448180.827400.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	167.2 KB 
ID:	417350

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1653448165.234157.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	417349  

^^^Yikes!

Stay safe mang

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post

Name:	Image1653447806.431565.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	417345

Taken from the ridge behind my house. Durango.

That’s Perins Peak.

Fuck! Hope you’re safe.

How’re y’all doing out there?

I have not read the report yet, but I thought the video in this link was pretty interesting: https://karuktribeclimatechangeprojects.com/good-fire/

The story/report that I’ve seen about the start of one of the NM fires from a remnant USFS pile burn lit in January is interesting. There was a similar issue in Plumas NF this winter, but that pile was ID’ed and only 40-ish acres was burned, all within the larger containment lines. I’m curious about the size of these piles.

I’ve seen some giant piles on private timber land. I’ve heard from a USFS fuels person about their preference for large piles, but am not clear about what they mean by “large.” I’ve also witnessed USFS-created piles in older and unmaintained fuelbreaks where they need to do some heavy equipment work or a lot of work with hand crews to make the piles safely burnable (the piles were surrounded by 10’ tall brush).

BIL who is USFS fire just got deployed to Lassen. CA is getting started.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    How’re y’all doing out there?

I have not read the report yet, but I thought the video in this link was pretty interesting: https://karuktribeclimatechangeprojects.com/good-fire/

The story/report that I’ve seen about the start of one of the NM fires from a remnant USFS pile burn lit in January is interesting. There was a similar issue in Plumas NF this winter, but that pile was ID’ed and only 40-ish acres was burned, all within the larger containment lines. I’m curious about the size of these piles.

I’ve seen some giant piles on private timber land. I’ve heard from a USFS fuels person about their preference for large piles, but am not clear about what they mean by “large.” I’ve also witnessed USFS-created piles in older and unmaintained fuelbreaks where they need to do some heavy equipment work or a lot of work with hand crews to make the piles safely burnable (the piles were surrounded by 10’ tall brush).
    The Calf Canyon and Hermit Peak fires in NM burned together, now over 320,000 acres. Calf Canyon started from a USFS pile burn conducted in late January, holdover. Hermit Peak was an escaped Rx broadcast burn. The fire people on that district are fucked. The only thing that might save the Hermit Peak burn boss’ ass is if the NWS completely blew the forecast and didn’t predict really strong dry winds.

Interesting weather wise: there is a massive blob of cold air wobbling down the West coast with associated precip possiblities. I have no idea on wild firea, but I've been looking at weather maps for a while and haven't seen that in the US in the summer for a few years.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by MT View Post
    USFS put a 90 day halt to RX implementation in May. Can't imagine there is going to be an abundance of people lined up and volunteering to be RXB2's next spring....
    I’ve been wondering if, what with the personnel exodus from federal fire, the FS/BLM/NPS/etc. have enough people these days with the training and (more importantly) savvy and experience to safely pull off Rx ops.

It's our turn again. It's a sad day here in Flagstaff
    dirtbag, not a dentist