Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Wildfire 2022

Cedar Creek fire is now at 114k acres. 11% contained. Fire has abated with moisture and cooling temps but I don’t think this one is done until the heavy rain/snow comes

From the maps it looks like the major Oakridge MTB trails weren’t affected, although Oregon Timber Trail goes right thru there

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/8307/

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    Cool little piece on the McCall jumpers in the latest Patagonia magazine.
    Just got it in the mail. Never fought fire but had the pleasure of ski patrolling with one of the signers of the shorts. Cool little piece and cool to see his name on there as a reminder of his passion for doing cool shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Ops map of the Mosquito Fire, showing the old American, King, and Caldor fire areas. The good news, Mosquito is 85% contained. The ?good news--there's nothing left to burn.
    https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/CATN...3.063-CDT.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    UFS study suggests removing up to 80%f of trees in Sierra forests.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...study-suggests
    Needless to say others disagree
    Damned if they do, damned if they don't?

Obviously a lot of questions about the management of the actual fire fighting response.

Looks like the Gulf/Midwest is getting the big middle finger when it comes to fire danger:

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I wonder how they judge “normal” for the western US.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I wonder how they judge “normal” for the western US.
    ‘Average’ conditions, based on past history.

IOW, there’re likely to be fires.

With all the different boundaries in that map I gave up trying to figure out which state was which.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Given your interests, you should check out an IAP (daily Incident Action Plan) from a large fire some time. Usually a multi-page document passed out to incident personnel that outlines the objectives, personnel and crew assignments, logistical information, maps, weather and fire behavior forecasts, commo plans, safety briefings, medical plan, aviation plan, and so forth. I’ll see if I can find one online for you.

The daily shift briefings at large fires would interest you too.
    But it’s done by “unskilled labor” according to Tom McClintock.

Cool little piece on the McCall jumpers in the latest Patagonia magazine.
    Did a severity assignment in Winnemucca with them two summers ago. It mostly rained and we drank by the pool at the Winnemucca Inn most nights. Real good dudes and dudettes.

Good article. Lots to unpack. Specific for certain western forests. Curious if this sort of media outreach and reporting is occurring in other regions: https://www.latimes.com/projects/sci...-7030col1-main

Mosquito Fire Soil Burn severity map released.
    https://www.sierrasun.com/news/mosqu...-map-released/
    I haven't read the article yet.

The carbon emissions from CA's 2020 fires--equal to all the state's cars for the year.
    https://www.axios.com/2022/10/18/cal...-co2-emissions

Grant County sheriff arrests prescribed fire burn boss for reckless burning after escaped RX burns 20 acres of private land.

Say goodbye to the NE Oregon prescribed fire program.

https://elkhornmediagroup.com/grant-...-burn-escapes/

Hopefully relief on the horizon. Ran into a jumper buddy who is in town training at NIFC. Word out there is this weekend of storms is marking the end of fire season in the northwest. He didn't mention other geographies though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Grant County sheriff arrests prescribed fire burn boss for reckless burning after escaped RX burns 20 acres of private land.

Say goodbye to the NE Oregon prescribed fire program.

https://elkhornmediagroup.com/grant-...-burn-escapes/
    Oh fuck.

Update from the local newspaper:

https://www.bluemountaineagle.com/ne...8cf2c0539.html

This is sort of par for the course for the area with these sorts of threats being thrown around for several decades now. I’m actually surprised it didn’t happen under the last sheriff (the one the Bundy etc. were running to when the FBI confronted them). At one point as I recall the old sheriff was making noise about arresting people for doing RX fires in FEDERAL land.

The last fews years, decade, have also seen some pretty impactful fires in the area that from my reading have really soured an already bad relationship.

This attitude is not confined to the John Day area and will have a chilling effect on burn bosses in the NE OR area generally I assume if not nationally. Certainly anyone who isn’t required by their position to hold the qualification is going to think very carefully about maintaining that qualification which is going to be a problem for an agency that is trying to meet some challenging targets now that they have funding.

I’m sure the halls will be filled with conversations reminiscent of the Type III IC conversations following Thirty Mile.

Gee, that doesn't sound political at all. Any chance the private landowner set the fire themselves and then called the Sheriff?

If anyone should have been arrested for recklessness it was whoever gave the approval to proceed with blowing up fish barriers last spring on a red flag day. Surprise surprise it sparked a wildfire that burned over 500 acres.

https://www.ocregister.com/2022/03/3...-service-says/

There are a lot of sheriffs in this country who've watched too many westerns and not enough Law and Order.
    I'd expect the charge to be quietly dropped or dismissed.

I’m wondering if it would be possible to get federal, or maybe state, law enforcement to arrest that asshole sheriff for false imprisonment or something like that. IANAL, but…

Update from the local newspaper:

https://www.bluemountaineagle.com/ne...8cf2c0539.html

This is sort of par for the course for the area with these sorts of threats being thrown around for several decades now. I’m actually surprised it didn’t happen under the last sheriff (the one the Bundy etc. were running to when the FBI confronted them). At one point as I recall the old sheriff was making noise about arresting people for doing RX fires in FEDERAL land.

The last fews years, decade, have also seen some pretty impactful fires in the area that from my reading have really soured an already bad relationship.

This attitude is not confined to the John Day area and will have a chilling effect on burn bosses in the NE OR area generally I assume if not nationally. Certainly anyone who isn’t required by their position to hold the qualification is going to think very carefully about maintaining that qualification which is going to be a problem for an agency that is trying to meet some challenging targets now that they have funding.

I’m sure the halls will be filled with conversations reminiscent of the Type III IC conversations following Thirty Mile.
    The rancher should be happy that he got some free fuels mitigation instead of trying to cash in with an exaggerated acreage burned total. That’s beautiful country between John Day and Burns.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I’m wondering if it would be possible to get federal, or maybe state, law enforcement to arrest that asshole sheriff for false imprisonment or something like that. IANAL, but…
    I think they have to make some show of force here considering their current workforce issues and national push on RX and other fuels work.

DOJ involvement, lawsuits, etc

Arresting the sheriff won’t help, but they need to make it very clear that the agency has the FFs back.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    The rancher should be happy that he got some free fuels mitigation instead of trying to cash in with an exaggerated acreage burned total. That’s beautiful country between John Day and Burns.

It’s their land, they have every right to not want it burned, but this should be a civil issue not a criminal one.

It’s their land, they have every right to not want it burned, but this should be a civil issue not a criminal one.
    Yes, I know it’s their land.

+1. This should have been a tort claim for substantiated losses. Not a legal matter for a mid-level gov employee. Fuck that sherif. Maybe next time there’s a wildfire in Harney or Baker county threatening property they should pull back on the reigns and tell the sheriff it’s his turn to protect and serve.