Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    YMMV, but a plated shoe at 4hr+ pace feels unnecessary.

If you've had good experience with the Clifton, I'd buy another pair and start working them into your routine with the goal of having 20-40 miles on them before race day.

The Rincon is similar to the Clifton but you give up 5mm of stack height. That is a significant amount of cushion. I wouldn't recommend going thinner for a race where your #1 goal is probably finishing, not a time.

If you just want something different and maybe a touch faster I'd be looking at the Mach 4 or the Carbon X -- both of which Runningwarehouse has on sale currently. Similar drop, similar cushioning levels as the cliftons with a bit less weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Get a faster shoe for tempo days in training. A fast shoe for a marathon race is going to give you at best -- 5minutes. A fast shoe (less weight, less cushion, less support) may also reduce likelihood of finishing.

But if you're only buying one shoe between now and then, the priority for a first marathon is finishing. Not time. 26mi on pavement for the first time priorities should be plenty of cushion, and potentially a bit of support. Things get sloppy in those last 8 miles. Stack the deck in your favor.
    That all makes a lot of sense. Thanks. I'll check out the Rincon, Mach 4, and Carbon X, seems like they'll be along the lines of a clifton, while being slightly faster. Seem like a good balance of try something different and don't stray too much from what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    It's nice to rotate a couple of different shoes into the mix if you run a lot. Grab another pair that are a bit different than your current shoes but still feel great on your feet and then work then into your mileage slowly and see where it goes. Worst case you've got a nice comfy pair of lawn mowing shoes. Best case you like the new kicks better and you make them your primary trainers. Either way, it's another reliable data point in the eternal search for the most time running with the least unnecessary discomfort.
    I've heard a number of people say its nice to have a few shoes to rotate through. Why is this? Just nice to switch things up or good for your feet/joints? Ah, or is it like a ski quiver where some shoes are better at some things. Now that I say it out loud, I'd guess its the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    I've heard a number of people say its nice to have a few shoes to rotate through. Why is this? Just nice to switch things up or good for your feet/joints? Ah, or is it like a ski quiver where some shoes are better at some things. Now that I say it out loud, I'd guess its the latter.
    I have a fallen in love with the Saucony Endorphin line. I have a few pair of Pro, a pair of Speed, and a pair of Shift. The Pro's are FANTASTICALLY fast...but they're less cushioned and a bit "harder" on my legs. I love wearing them, but the Speed has a bit more cushion and a nylon plate...it's has a bit less "pop," but it gives my legs a break...and then the Shift (it's OK, but a bit too heavy and bulky for my tastes...I just rotate them in for something different.

Basically, I love the Pro...the other two give the legs a break and change it up a bit...while still having similar characteristics.

Also, what Doe said about the carbon plate: if you read a bunch of reviews (esp the Nike's), the carbon-plate can even feel weirdly unstable when walking or at slower paces. It almost seems like a lot of the SUPER shoes are a detriment if you running > 7 or 8min pace. (I don't find that with the Endorphin (b/c I'm slower), but enough people have said it about various shoes that it's worth noting).
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Switched to Endorphin Speed a few years ago when they first came out and love them. Have been on Saucony trail runners for years before. Plus they regularly run great deals (40-50% off) when they release the new versions.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    Both. Feels different (comfy vs fast) and can impact your feet / joints differently (drops change, widths change, etc). Some feel like its good to give shoes a day of rest to let foam recover -- but I don't know how valid that is.

I have a bit of a quiver shoe quiver -- esp for someone running just 20-30mpw most the time. I have a daily trainer (Skecher Forza 4), a speedier shoe (New balance fuelcell rebel), and a slow day/recovery shoe (Altra Provision). The Altra is 0 drop which helps stretch out the Achilles a bit more and gives a different feel. The Rebel feels quicker on turnover, but past 10k and I want more cushion.

For trail running, I have one longer day shoe (Saucony Guide TR) with some stability and one shorter day neutral shoe (Saucony Mad River TR). I also have a shoe I pretty much just run on snow and ice (thick Vibram lugs).

Ended up going to with the Atreyu The Artist shoes. They were in my price point, the owner of the company recommended them even with my slower pace, and I'm happy to support a smaller company so they seem like a good fit.

Appreciate all the advice on different types of shoes and whatnot. Will be referencing this thread in the future

OP, are you running the Seattle Marathon? FYI, I've worn through 7 or 8 pairs of Cliftons over the last few years. I've also run a marathon in them in the time that you're aiming for. They'll work just fine. If the other shoes work for you then great but why mess what's working? I do find that at about 300 miles in the Cliftons I need to be careful about using them for long runs. I still get another 100 miles out of them but at around 300 miles I start getting some aches and pains that a new pair of shoes seems to alleviate...

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    OP, are you running the Seattle Marathon? FYI, I've worn through 7 or 8 pairs of Cliftons over the last few years. I've also run a marathon in them in the time that you're aiming for. They'll work just fine. If the other shoes work for you then great but why mess what's working? I do find that at about 300 miles in the Cliftons I need to be careful about using them for long runs. I still get another 100 miles out of them but at around 300 miles I start getting some aches and pains that a new pair of shoes seems to alleviate...
    Good to know. I've only gone on one run with the artists but I do really like them and I recorded my fastest time for a 5k on the first go so seem to be worth something. Will do a longer run or 2 before the marathon day just to make sure they feel good at distance, if they don't I'll just stick to the cliftons. But I'm glad to have them just for shorter runs in the future

and yeah, planning on doing the seattle marathon

+1 for the endorphin speed or the mach 4's. Both will feel lighter and faster without going full carbon (which in my experience feel weird when running slower than a 7 minute mile). You could still do your daily runs in them.
    I'd save the $200+ shoes for when you're a few marathons in and trying to eek out a few minutes.
    Training, nutrition and experience will gain you a lot more time than a carbon plate.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Curious here... is there any scientific or peer reviewed study that says switching between different shoes is better? When I do a quick google-fu on the topic, I get a bunch of running stores and running magazines (may as well be stores) that advocate you spend a bunch of money to have fast and slow shoes. I'm genuinely curious but predisposed to the idea that you find a good shoe that works for you and stick with it. As long as you aren't running on a treadmill, there is enough variation in your running (especially if you do some off pavement) to strengthen accessory muscles just fine. As for foam recovery... give me a break.

If you're talking about a shoe quiver for legitimately different use cases (trail vs. pavement, track vs. pavement), sure, but the whole idea that you get one shoe for up to 10k, one for half marathon, one for "ultras" just seems like a triumph of marketing. I can also understand folks who just want to try new things, good for them, but it seems a stretch to make it a health and longevity issue.
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast