Using J-bars for heel lift – before or after molding liner?

Just picked up a new pair of Crispi EVO NTN teletard boots, my first new pair in 10+ years. I used to be the bromag that helped mold all my buddies' liners and get them feeling good, mount their bindings, etc. But I suffered some brain trauma about 6 years ago when my first daughter was born and have memory loss as a result. This is partly tongue-in-cheek, partly true. CRS at age 47.

Anyway, I went to the EVO from the Prophet/Voodoo for a wider forefoot fit. My Prophets fit money save for some forefoot squeeze, which was just inherent to that shell. These new Crispis have a wider heel pocket and I suspect I might need to pad them to prevent heel lift.

Do I mold first and see how they fill in? Or use the J bars out of the gate during molding?

I'm no bootfitter, but I always put foam in after molding. If nothing else, molding with foam already in there is just gonna make the liner thinner in that area and it'll pack out quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm no bootfitter, but I always put foam in after molding. If nothing else, molding with foam already in there is just gonna make the liner thinner in that area and it'll pack out quicker.
    Good point, Bart Taylor.

After, always after. Let the liner fill as much space as possible, then pad it to fill the spots where you need more.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    After, always after. Let the liner fill as much space as possible, then pad it to fill the spots where you need more.
    Roger that, thanks. What's a good thickness? I'm just ordering some adhesive EVA sheet. 3mm? 5mm?