Traction mats for lower-clearance front wheel drive vehicle

Joining the camper van craze, but didn't want to spend a ton so bought an older Ford Transit Connect. About the same ground clearance as a typical passenger vehicle, front wheel drive. What would be good traction mats for it? Not gonna take it on jeep roads or anything, but I could see maybe getting stuck in a camping spot if it rained alot or something. Thick Maxtrax-type rigid mats seem like they might not work as they seem made for high clearance, thinking a flexible type- thoughts? Looking for a step up from carpet scraps. Thanks-

GoTreads makes thinner hinged traction mats. Never used them but they spam the shit out of me with ads
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Whatever you get, be sure to mount that shit on the outside of your vehicle. Also crucial are containers for the condiments of your choice (I personally feel a sense of panic without 2 gal each of sriracha and mustard, but options abound) and an aggressively serrated shovel for fending off those who would take said condiments for their own sandwiches.

Don't forget the requisite awning, especially if your roofline is so low that standing under it is impossible. Lastly, I would be remiss if I didn't remind you of the essential nature of a roof top tent (or just an empty box with a cover on it, since no one ever deploys RTTs anyway).
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    the essential nature of a roof top tent (or just an empty box with a cover on it, since no one ever deploys RTTs anyway).
    I bet those would sell. Just like stick on fake sunroof decals and spray on mud.

All the look, none of the downside of fucking up the center of gravity.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Don't forget the requisite awning, especially if your roofline is so low that standing under it is impossible. Lastly, I would be remiss if I didn't remind you of the essential nature of a roof top tent (or just an empty box with a cover on it, since no one ever deploys RTTs anyway).
    Oh we'll be getting the awning (it's a tall vehicle), but yeah I never understood the allure of a roof-top tent unless maybe you do alot of camping in gator country. I gotta say though, for someone with "van" in his name you don't seem to be too much of a fan . . .

I have some of the maxtrax knock offs for my FWD sienna. We used them to rescue some stuck tourists outside of Banff and they worked but one of them cracked immediately. Seems the knock offs are pretty brittle in the cold, so maybe the flexible kind/carpet strips would hold up better?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tele 'til You're Smelly View Post
    Oh we'll be getting the awning (it's a tall vehicle), but yeah I never understood the allure of a roof-top tent unless maybe you do alot of camping in gator country. I gotta say though, for someone with "van" in his name you don't seem to be too much of a fan . . .
    HEHEHE. Must be more like Winkle, Morrison or Damme than Econoline or Astro.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

I thought it was e-van, like e-bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Name:  628F4CB5-FC03-404B-9619-BFBF63DC43F0.jpeg
Views: 370
Size:  27.9 KB

Fuck off roading, just get two of these and go rip some donies.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I thought it was e-van, like e-bikes.
    Nailed it. I'm a well known advocate of motorized vehicles, the more they can blend in and pretend to be non-motorized, the better!

Love,

Evan
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Don't forget the array of high intensity light. Enough wattage to fry Jackrabbits in their beam is a minimum.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    GoTreads makes thinner hinged traction mats. Never used them but they spam the shit out of me with ads
    The GoTreads are nice because they can also be used as leveling blocks when camping. A huge downside though is being hinged there's really no good way to mount them to the outside to make everyone know you go off-road. And even if you do they don't look like Maxtrax!

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-12501...s%2C154&sr=8-3

$15, low profile, seem fine for occasional light use w/ your rig.

But with inexpensive lift kits for the Connect available, maybe consider a 1.5” lift as well?
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Skis with skins on! You should be fine with Tele's. I was stuck a couple of times last weekend plowing heavy wet snow getting out of a FSR with the front wheel drive wagon. Binding down, skin up. Worked perfectly. Mud may be a little hard on the gear though...

Quote Originally Posted by mackmgg View Post
    The GoTreads are nice because they can also be used as leveling blocks when camping. A huge downside though is being hinged there's really no good way to mount them to the outside to make everyone know you go off-road. And even if you do they don't look like Maxtrax!
    thanks, l'm all about the double-duty so those sound great. No need to mount outside, I'll just add naked-lady mudflaps to show I'm a baller.

Whatever you get, be sure to mount that shit on the outside of your vehicle. Also crucial are containers for the condiments of your choice (I personally feel a sense of panic without 2 gal each of sriracha and mustard, but options abound) and an aggressively serrated shovel for fending off those who would take said condiments for their own sandwiches.

I bought a farm jack last year for my Tacoma and was absolutely shocked to discover you can actually just carry it in the bed instead of bolting it to your roof. You wouldn't believe it, but it just fits right in there no problem, I feel like I should get the word out

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    I bought a farm jack last year for my Tacoma and was absolutely shocked to discover you can actually just carry it in the bed instead of bolting it to your roof. You wouldn't believe it, but it just fits right in there no problem, I feel like I should get the word out
    Yeah but I bet now you don’t have room for a ufo sized fajita skillet and vlogging gear
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably