Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreemcheese View Post
    Peak Carbon: Very tight on my feet length-wise, but good heel hold, and overall fit is very similar to my ZGPT except length and I will need to punch these in order to make it work. Not as smooth to get into walk-mode as the others due to the wires (same style as ZGTP). Very good liner, feels better and more dense than the stock ZGPT liner. Very nice flex (indoors at least), progressive but stiff enough.
    Got a pair of gen2 prototype Peak Carbons today (close to but not quite the production version). As Kreemcheese notes, they fit similarly to the Zero G Tour Pro but about 3-4mm shorter at the big toe (the toe box is shaped with a longer first phalanges already but will need a bit of a punch). Boot takes quite a bit of effort to put on due to the very stiff Grilamid in the instep area (the aft "tongue" of the interlocking shell design) but once on was surprisingly comfortable - a tad roomier through the metatarsals and medial midfoot than the Tour Pro. Flex is quite stiff, much more so than my Alien RS or Quantum Asolo Factory, we'll see how it skis next week. Weight of a 26.5 with factory footbed/insert was 1032 grams.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Got a pair of gen2 prototype Peak Carbons today (close to but not quite the production version). As Kreemcheese notes, they fit similarly to the Zero G Tour Pro but about 3-4mm shorter at the big toe (the toe box is shaped with a longer first phalanges already but will need a bit of a punch). Boot takes quite a bit of effort to put on due to the very stiff Grilamid in the instep area (the aft "tongue" of the interlocking shell design) but once on was surprisingly comfortable - a tad roomier through the metatarsals and medial midfoot than the Tour Pro. Flex is quite stiff, much more so than my Alien RS or Quantum Asolo Factory, we'll see how it skis next week. Weight of a 26.5 with factory footbed/insert was 1032 grams.
    Do you think 26.5 is the ticket for ya? Or would you consider sizing up?

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Wasatchback - whats the cuff height like on these? People have commented that the Skorpius is one lighter boot that has a higher cuff height which makes it ski like a bigger boot, and I've heard the opposite about the Atomic backland, low cuff height, skis worse (at least older versions).
    I feel like it's not just the plastic cuff height, but also the height and stiffness of the liner and how the liner engages with the cuff. There's a massive difference in how the original Backland Carbon skis with the stock liner, a ProTour liner, and a ProTour liner with a cinching powerstrap. I didn't like it at all in stock form, but the latter configuration feels like a completely different boot on the down and nearly as good on the up.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I'll let you know in a week or so. It feels very much like a 26.5 in the 2nd gen TLT6 or the Backland Carbon, both of which I made work in 26.5, maybe a tad shorter because they gave it a real ISO 9523 sole. Haven't started punching it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I feel like it's not just the plastic cuff height, but also the height and stiffness of the liner and how the liner engages with the cuff. There's a massive difference in how the original Backland Carbon skis with the stock liner, a ProTour liner, and a ProTour liner with a cinching powerstrap. I didn't like it at all in stock form, but the latter configuration feels like a completely different boot on the down and nearly as good on the up.
    This. The 18/19 Backland turned into my unicorn with plug wraps and a WC booster. Amazing boot for my purposes. Sounds like I’m out on the technica as usual per fit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Kreemcheese View Post

Not as smooth to get into walk-mode as the others due to the wires (same style as ZGTP). .
    So I assume this means that just opening the cuff buckle of the Zero G doesn't make them loose enough to allow full range of motion for touring? Can someone post a pic or two of the front of the cuff of the boot including the buckles? None of the pics I've seen really show that part of the boot so it's unclear to me what's going on there

So I assume this means that just opening the cuff buckle of the Zero G doesn't make them loose enough to allow full range of motion for touring? Can someone post a pic or two of the front of the cuff of the boot including the buckles? None of the pics I've seen really show that part of the boot so it's unclear to me what's going on there
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9264.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	411064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9266.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	411065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9265.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	411066

Here are some hasty pictures, the buckles have a little sliding mechanism in them so its better than the Zero G but much more of a hassle than some of the other new boots in the same segment. But short answer is no, full range of motion can in my opinion only be achieved if you unbuckle the top buckle BUT it is still good with cable in the loosest position and fully open buckle.

Super extra interested in the comparison of the peak to the others. Please overload us with details as they become available.

The wrapping shell sounds really good for my weird feet. I am curious about the cuff height and how they take shin pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    OK, I've punched them and made them fit, but they're still short, plus I needed to remove the front of the bootboard (yes, it actually has a 3.25mm one) for more forfoot volume and grind the nubs off in the toe with a Foredom. I got an additional 3-4mm in length at the big toe, but the carbon reinforced Grilmid doesn't punch nearly as well as traditional Grilamid varieties (it's easier than the F1 LT or Quantum Asolo Factory, though). I think most people (and their bootfitters) will be happier going up a size from their regular alpine boots, I might have done so if a 27.5 existed and I didn't have a full bootlab in my basement.

OK, I've punched them and made them fit, but they're still short, plus I needed to remove the front of the bootboard (yes, it actually has a 3.25mm one) for more forfoot volume and grind the nubs off in the toe with a Foredom. I got an additional 3-4mm in length at the big toe, but the carbon reinforced Grilmid doesn't punch nearly as well as traditional Grilamid varieties (it's easier than the F1 LT or Quantum Asolo Factory, though). I think most people (and their bootfitters) will be happier going up a size from their regular alpine boots, I might have done so if a 27.5 existed and I didn't have a full bootlab in my basement.
    Good to know, looking to hear what you think when you get them out. I've yet to find a 1kg boot I really mesh with (but I haven't tried them all...)

Greg - do you have Zero G Tour Pros? If so do you agree with Kreemcheese that the Peak shell is shorter than the Tour pro in the same size? If so that will probably be the end of my downsizing from a street shoe 9.5/10 to a 25 Zero G and have them blown out in all the right places to fit perfectly. I could barely get enough length for my big toe doing that, but everything else worked out great

Greg - do you have Zero G Tour Pros? If so do you agree with Kreemcheese that the Peak shell is shorter than the Tour pro in the same size? If so that will probably be the end of my downsizing from a street shoe 9.5/10 to a 25 Zero G and have them blown out in all the right places to fit perfectly. I could barely get enough length for my big toe doing that, but everything else worked out great
    Yes and yes. I don't need to do anything for length in the Zero G Tour Pro 26.5; I punched the Peak Carbon about 4mm and it still feels very short. Volume and width-wise, the Peak is comparable if not roomier (and/or the line is thinner).

Tecnica ZeroG Peak - another light boot for 2022 - 3

Yes and yes. I don't need to do anything for length in the Zero G Tour Pro 26.5; I punched the Peak Carbon about 4mm and it still feels very short. Volume and width-wise, the Peak is comparable if not roomier (and/or the line is thinner).
    God damn it! Yet another boot sounded so promising and now I expect to go into trying it and being thoroughly disappointed.
    Sizing up for length in a boot with already roomier volume fit is not a recipe for success.

That could actually work for me if the heel hold is tight, extra toe room can even be a good thing on longer flat tours I'm curious to at least try them on. The trend to super short light boots is annoying, but must be driven by advertised weight?

I'd happily go back to a 27.5 in that boot after 3 seasons in a 26.5 ZGTP which had to be punched in damn near every direction to make it work. Was in between shell sizes, went the performance route with the shorter shell, it skis like a dream but my toes are permanently displeased...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Day one update on a test pair I've been lucky enough to get hold of.

I have been using a 25/25.5 Zero G Scout for the last three winters and these feel a bit longer but not as long as a full shell size up in the current boot line up. They feel slightly roomier all round to me and I swapped the stock liners straight for the liners from my scouts as I was swimming in the stock liner.

Unfortunately I had issues on day one hitting a submerged rock while boot packing causing the lower buckle to twist and torque breaking the lower rivet holding the buckle on.

On the plus side they skied and walked very well

Hi!

Can anyone share the differences in boot sole length between ZGTP and the Peak Carbon? I think I’m 323mm in the 28.5 ZGTP and need to mount a new binding on my ski so it accommodates the ZGTP in (most likely) the 28.5 next year.. It’s a R01 binding plate for ATK bindings, movable 30mm back and forth..

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyp View Post
    Hi!

Can anyone share the differences in boot sole length between ZGTP and the Peak Carbon? I think I’m 323mm in the 28.5 ZGTP and need to mount a new binding on my ski so it accommodates the ZGTP in (most likely) the 28.5 next year.. It’s a R01 binding plate for ATK bindings, movable 30mm back and forth..

Thanks!
    ZGTP mold doesn’t change for next year, BSL is the same.

BSL for ZeroG Peak is 308. Has more to do with the toe and heal lugs being shorter than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    ZGTP mold doesn’t change for next year, BSL is the same.

BSL for ZeroG Peak is 308. Has more to do with the toe and heal lugs being shorter than anything else.
    It’s 308mm for 28.5 Peak G Carbon? So 15mm shorter than ZGTP? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyp View Post
    It’s 308mm for 28.5 Peak G Carbon? So 15mm shorter than ZGTP? Thank you!
    Correct, but there's no guarantee you'll be able to wear your traditional size in the Peak . . .

There's a review on WildSnow from one of their youguns who actually skis bigger sticks as opposed to worshipping anything lightweight.
    Apparently it does everything the F1 LT does but skis mucho better. Not quite well enough to abandon the ZGTP but close.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    There's a review on WildSnow from one of their youguns who actually skis bigger sticks as opposed to worshipping anything lightweight.
    Apparently it does everything the F1 LT does but skis mucho better. Not quite well enough to abandon the ZGTP but close.
    Interesting as compared to the Blister Flash review that seems to say it’s just pretty comparable to other 2-buckle kilo boots like F1 LT

You gonna be able to do a wrap liner in these? Happy to scissor on the gators if necessary.

Tecnica ZeroG Peak - another light boot for 2022 - 3

Quote Originally Posted by JRainey View Post
    You gonna be able to do a wrap liner in these? Happy to scissor on the gators if necessary.
    Maybe a good question for the Wildsnow review author in the comments section, sounds like he uses tour wraps in his F1 LTs, and seems to be fairly responsive