Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I'm not too tough to admit I was sad when the soldier killed Two Socks in "Dances with Wolves."
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I like the back and forth on this thread. It's got that Pivot vs. other bindings passion vibe going.
    Back in my day when Plake was rocking Pivots on his Dynastar Vertical Assaults, I had the audacity to mount Solly 477s on my VAs to much scorn and disapproval. Pivots were known around our ice slope for being the genesis of many knee injuries and were to be avoided.

It's hilarious to see that they've made a strong comeback.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I'm not too tough to admit I was sad when the soldier killed Two Socks in "Dances with Wolves."
    And fuck that guy too.

Yeah that was completely unnecessary. What a shame. I can't condone that behavior.

I don’t have a dog or wolf in this fight. But the “the law was made in 1994 - if you don’t like it you shoulda spoke up then” is a new high point of stupidity. Bravo.

Having Bunny pop in from an east coast condo to back that statement up is just icing on the cake.

I'm not sure lashing out at Benny is warranted. He may have declared a residence for tax purposes here on the EC, but he's a well-traveled resident of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Back in my day when Plake was rocking Pivots on his Dynastar Vertical Assaults, I had the audacity to mount Solly 477s on my VAs to much scorn and disapproval. Pivots were known around our ice slope for being the genesis of many knee injuries and were to be avoided.

It's hilarious to see that they've made a strong comeback.
    I think Marker turntables gave Pivots an unwarranted guilt by association rap back in the day. Pivots always had respect in my crew. The transition from leashes to brakes was sorta the Pivot's near downfall for a while. I would argue that is still the case. But otherwise I find Pivots perfectly fine, plus they come in crazy colors.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Personally, I have fond memories of sitting in my hot tub underneath the stars on quiet, snowy winter nights, and hearing the wolves howl to each other from the ridge across the river from us. Utter tranquility. This was just a few miles outside that NW corner of the park, so the title stuck out to me. I never did encounter any on my many hikes, although I'm pretty sure I've come across a den or two in the forest where my otherwise incredibly fearless dog said "Eff you, I'm not going in there!" when we were out bird hunting. She either sensed wolves or maybe it was a griz. Bones everywhere. Either way, I heeded her warning and backed out of the area. Interesting how they can be so prolific in the area, yet wolf attacks on humans in North America have been EXCEEDINGLY rare. No documented kills either since maybe like the freaking 1800s if that. Definitely a creature to be respected, but I don't think there's much to be afraid of either.

If you're a rancher, toss some donkeys or llamas in the herd. Maybe a couple Great Pyrenees for good measure. The herd will survive. Even so, sure, a rancher has a right to protect his herd by any means necessary, but what I DON'T get is non-ranching hunters killing/trapping wolves for fun. Besides, trapping is a totally bitch method IMO.
    Indeed. I went deep into Yellowstone in the winter a few years ago and the coolest part of the trip was watching a wolfpack hunt an elk herd.

And agreed, trapping is not sporting and can be cruel.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Are there times when it's not cruel?

Trapping and baiting is a giant pussy way to hunt. F'n cunts!

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Ask the tub of shit Montana gov.

in some cases, live trap to relocate .. otherwise, no.
    north bound horse.

Well, I only know about live trapping racoons and squirrels to relocate, so I can't really say for wolves, but I assume you can live trap them ethically. But I'd assume any kill trap is cruel. No trap is sporting.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

No idea about the trapping regs in the states, but in BC there are specifications on both leghold and snare traps. Bait stations are permitted by a licensed trapper. Not just anyone can trap either, must be both certified in much the same way hunters are certified (passing education courses), and hold a trapline tenure(or private land) or be permitted by the tenure holder.

Legholds must be such that they do not damage the limb (trap size and jaw spacing/padding) and checked at minimum intervals (<24hrs), snares must be killing snares of a minimum size/guage, usually with some form of (large) spring mechanism. Trapping any canine is very difficult. You may get one, but then the rest of the pack learns fast and avoids the trap sets easily. Most trappers here don't bother as a large pelt isn't worth the effort, much better return trapping marten, rodents, and cats. The closure of the largest NA Fur auction is also putting a crimp on the economics of trapping large wiley furbearers. General hunting of wolves and coyotes is also not a common practice in the BC mtns either, again, very difficult hunting, especially in thick terrain. Most hunting happens on large private range land.

Big controversy right now in some parts of the province due to mtn caribou management. Predator control is one of the short-term strategies along with calving pens that is being used to try and save some nearly extirpated herds. This culling is most often done by helicopter. Interim reports is that this culling is reducing the mortality of the caribou, but as mentioned, packs breed to match the food supply, so the effects are very short term.

Shame to hear such issue with wolves outside of the parks. I generally agree with the above objections of open grazing rights on public land, but here those tenures are very old, with large political sway. Not a simple conversation, filled with too much emotion and entitlement on both sides.

Google "Range wars".
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Google "Range wars".
    Are you saying people should do their own research?

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    It’s kinda a conundrum

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Well, back in Wooley's day, you used to have to go to a library

...in a horse and buggy.

Wooley, KQ usually provides us with a link and then includes the text.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I don’t have a dog or wolf in this fight. But the “the law was made in 1994 - if you don’t like it you shoulda spoke up then” is a new high point of stupidity. Bravo.

Having Bunny pop in from an east coast condo to back that statement up is just icing on the cake.
    Agree.

I like my pivots.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I really liked my Look 77Rs too, until in got a pair of 747 equipes.

ETA: Warning my opinion ****

These "hunters" are the same kind of people who shoot gophers for the fun of it. Baiting and shooting/trapping a predator in the winter is the height of chickenshit. The wolves that have been getting shot to hell are eating Elk, not cows. One of the reasons given by the "hunters", too bad the numbers in the herds of elk in that area are right about where FWP wants them.
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 01-20-2022 at 05:56 PM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    I really liked my Look 77Rs too, until in got a pair of 747 equipes.

ETA: Warning my opinion ****

These "hunters" are the same kind of people who shoot gophers for the fun of it. Baiting and shooting/trapping a predator in the winter is the height of chickenshit. The wolves that have been getting shot to hell are eating Elk, not cows. One of the reasons given by the "hunters", too bad the numbers in the herds of elk in that area are right about where FWP wants them.
    For the record, the Pivots always have come in cool colors, but the Solly 7/9-whatever/Equipe/Driver/whatever they're called now have always been a superior binding.

Back to wolf hunting closeted-power bottoms (I keep searching for a more socially-acceptable derogatory term but unfortunately their overcompensation and need to kill "predators" by sissy-shit means just lends itself to deep-seeded, self-loathing, hidden homosexual tendencies), I agree Bunion, these people who hunt these animals, and trap them to kill them, are just a social rejection away from Jeffrey Dahmer level-animal experimentation.

FWP practically begs Montana hunters/trappers to help control the wolf population. It's either that or you have US Fish and Wildlife Service officers shooting them out of helicopters. Seen that happening multiple times, but you will never hear about it because they don't publicize it. But trust me, it's happening.

RE hunters, since they have funded almost all the wildlife conservation and habitat restoration in the US for the past 100 years, through license fees, should they not have a seat at the table? Guarantee you PETA ain't funding this shit. It's all sportsmen.

It's like anything else. When you manage it too far one way, inevitably the pendulum swings and it gets managed too far the other way. That's what we're seeing now. Hopefully it'll balance out.

RE Colorado: Summit is right. That state has no clue about the shitstorm headed their way.

Man, these wolf "discussions" really are very predictable.

Has been awhile since I've seen the ol smoke a pack a day bumper stickers on the brodozer though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

A WOLF EATING IT'S PREY ALIVE ASSHOLE FIRST WHILE IT SQUEALS IN EXTREME HORROR AND PAIN IS AWESOME, BUT A WOLF GETTING TRAPPED IS UNETHICAL.
    Hey d-bag - here's something for you to think about: maybe (just maybe) not everybody here has their little panties in a wad 24/7 and flies into a rage whenever somebody disagrees with them. Maybe these same mags don't take this place uber-seriously. Maybe this even includes the vast majority of the people who post here as opposed to you and like 20 other thin-skinned douchebags. Just something to think about. -JER

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    There's a pretty big difference between wildlife management and killing for sport.
    Good one. Those are two completely different subjects.

Please consider what wildlife managers manage, and roughly how they manage that. Clue: wildlife in national parks aren't managed, they're monitored.

Problem here is wolf travel is evidently easier outside the Park this year. The wolves would be content to stay in the park and eat elk and buffalo, but snow conditions, etc have them abroad. Montana is not going to suspend trapping and hunting over a vast area to keep 2 dozen wolves alive. The Park Service will pay ranchers for livestock kills, but shepherds and ranchers have not only been killing predators since the dawn of agriculture, but they've developed hundreds of breeds of dogs to more efficiently kill livestock predators.

If the NPS wants to raise wolves in places where the ranchers killed off the indians to get their land, then set about each other for rustling or water rights...They need to raise dogs to round up the wolves when they leave the Park. Foxhounds writ large. Heli'em in front of a wolf salient into private land. Pick'em back up when their radio collars show them back on the Park, having run the wolves in front of them...

Don't forget the lamentations of the women.