Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Don't be, La Nina for third year in a row is expected...which typically means another dry winter for CA.

6'-6'1 and 180lb in gym clothes. Fairly aggressive skier. No jumps or moguls though, because....I like my knees. My usual ski is a Mantra 102 in a 184.

184 or 191 for the VW Katana? Leaning towards 184 for these as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GHILL28 View Post
    6'-6'1 and 180lb in gym clothes. Fairly aggressive skier. No jumps or moguls though, because....I like my knees. My usual ski is a Mantra 102 in a 184.

My buddy is the exact same size as you and a similar skier. He had the 184s and bought a pair of 191s to try last season, then sold me his 184s immediately because he liked the 191s so much more (I'm smaller and less aggressive). He mounted something like +4 or +5, he's a very centered skier and had the 184s mounted similarly. The 184s probably would have been a bit more stable if he mounted closer to the line. I am prefer more directional skis and mounted closer to the line and at 150lbs I have no need for anything more than the 184.

Quote Originally Posted by GHILL28 View Post

I’m 6’0 and about 170lbs. I use the VW Katana as a touring ski and the 184 seems perfect to me. Plenty of float in powder without being too much in tight trees or shit snow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

These will be mostly used for inbounds riding, but want the option for more outbounds stuff if I'm ever presented with the opportunity.

I just picked up a used pair of 184’s. Due to binding hole conflict I can either mount these with Tectons on the line or at +3. What should I choose To make this the 50/50 ski of my dreams?

Oh yeah weight for anyone interested: 1971g and 1981g.

How big or small are you of a human. +3 seems a little aggressive if that ski is a length you normally ski.

+3 will be fine. I know people who mount further forward than that and enjoy them. Full rocker, straight sidecut skis are very forgiving with mount points.

I’m 5’8” 155 lbs.

My 184 Praxis Freerides are mounted on the line, but that line is at -9cm.

I just feel like -13.9 is so far back. Was planning on +1 or +2 but holes dictate +3 or the line.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by skt07 View Post
    I’m 5’8” 155 lbs.

My 184 Praxis Freerides are mounted on the line, but that line is at -9cm.

I just feel like -13.9 is so far back. Was planning on +1 or +2 but holes dictate +3 or the line.

Thanks.

at that size, then yes +3 will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    +3 will be fine. I know people who mount further forward than that and enjoy them. Full rocker, straight sidecut skis are very forgiving with mount points.
    There’s a lot more full rocker straight skis that aren’t forgiving with mounts, depending on ski stance and body positioning, plus there is far less effective edge and running base. But if you ski from the backseat, with toes shimmed to the moon and like it, performance is obviously seen very differently.

Quote Originally Posted by skt07 View Post
    I just picked up a used pair of 184’s. Due to binding hole conflict I can either mount these with Tectons on the line or at +3. What should I choose To make this the 50/50 ski of my dreams?

Oh yeah weight for anyone interested: 1971g and 1981g.
    +3 for sure. Line is wayy back. This isnt 1995 anymore

What's the deep pow resort ski to compliment the Katana then?

120 ish, 190ish, full rocker and a traditional mount point.

Are the BMT 122 burley enough for resort?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post

find a confession. Kapow has a pair for sale. But I want the jesters
    Last edited by SoVT Joey; 11-18-2022 at 06:51 PM.

Short Review: Volkl V-Werks Katana

Volkl Twos came in 196 length and the recommended mount point is -10cm from center. Never skied them but I love the Ones. Twos have been out of production for some time now.

Personally at 5’7’’ ~175lb I’d be mounting them +4 from there
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 11-17-2022 at 04:51 PM.

Yes, they are. Not sure you'd want them as a DD, but they're very well made I haven't had any durability issues with mine after several seasons of mixed resort and touring.

Had 196’s mounted on the line. Tips were too soft for when things get chewed. Don’t have them anymore.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

I’m going Heritage Lab R120 50/50 build. 185cm and flat not full reverse but I’m willing to overlook 5cm and some camber. Plus, they’re hot pink… waayyyy faster than red!

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    I'd go on the line, but I'm from 1995.
    Ha. I'm still trying to figure out where I'm from.

Haven't skied my VWerks yet, but as Joey said, Confessions could be an option. 193s are hard to come by in Canada, but I found a pair here: http://www.snowfit.co.uk/volkl-confession-2018.html

Tick all your boxes except not full reverse, camber is pretty mellow though. 2370 g/ski. Only a couple May days (May 19th), but they charge pow, slarve well with good technique, ski like a Volkl in firm, and @ 200#, the shovel has a really good balance between smashing variable, and still planing up some in pow. Singlecross sounds like he's onto something too.

Going +2 (-12) with a PT12 on my 191s. With all the precip in the forecast, hopefully have a bunch of days on both soon, see if we're even close. My guess is they won't be as pivotable as VWerks, but with the tongue pressured, they'll do anything I want. Volkl makes good Blackcomb skis.

I have some Volkl one in 186, I find they don't float any better than the vwerx katana, maybe worse to be honest. I like them in shallow pow though.

I wish they still made a Shiro, I think I would that.

You should try a Renegade, Rob. I'd like to try a Nocta. But my Ren just feels perfect every time I'm in the deep. Not enough suspension in crud, though. If I were still in Tahoe, I'd wanna try the Heritage 120.

Short Review: Volkl V-Werks Katana

In my experience the 186 Volkl One generally floats about as as well as 196 white room Renegades and has less tip dive at slower speeds until the skis really plane up.

I have some Volkl one in 186, I find they don't float any better than the vwerx katana, maybe worse to be honest. I like them in shallow pow though.

I wish they still made a Shiro, I think I would that.

Shiro is a good idea.

You can send me those Ones for proper disposal
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 11-18-2022 at 06:49 AM.

Always been curious about the ren and the nocta but been put off with mount point.

Didn't like the hoji when it got deep due to tip dive problems. Loved it in shallow wet or crusty snow though. In fact, the hoji is what brought me to the Katana as I was looking for something similar with a more traditional mount.

Oh. Ya. I kinda forgot the nocta fell in there. I have one. In a 190. I had a 185 and it skied to short. Went to a 190 and love it. It likes to be driven. It’s fun as shit. Super energetic too. It’s one of those skis I wish was made in a 195. But the 190 skis true to length, It can handle chop alright but loves fresh snow. It’s light enough that I have a duke pt16 on them and tour with them occasionally when the snow is really good and I’m not climbing on my ferox.

Kapow has that confession for sale.

and a super sweet VTA108.