Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Short Review: Volkl V-Werks Katana

After a bunch of searching for a big boy touring ski, I settled on the 191 V-Werks Katana. I mounted these up with some Salomon MTNs. I was initially going to go with TLT Superlite 2.0s. But, while I have used that binding to pretty good effect, I have some friends that have broken the heel pieces. So, I decided to take the 100gm hit per ski and mount up the old reliable MTNs. I went with Pomoca Free Pro 2.0s in size L. They are barely long enough to clip the back of the ski at their max length. They leave a lot of uncovered base, but so far this doesn’t seem to effect much. Also holy shit they are light. Hoping they hold up..
    I’m using Tecnica Zero G Pros on these skis.

So far I’ve skied these skis 4 days in the Tetons, on a variety of snow and terrain types in GTNP.

Uphill: These aren’t the lightest skis. They add more than a pound per foot compared to some of my other skis. While I normally enjoy going as fast as possible up the skin track, it’s more of a slow down and enjoy the walk type of affair with these sticks. I think this is the absolute upper weight limit of what I’m willing to tolerate on the up. The ultralight skins are probably helping both in terms of glide, and weight..
    I’m now tempted to try the SL 2.0s on these..

The down: I was worried these skis might feel dead. I’ve felt this with some older Mantras I’ve skied. I thought they might be too much in the tight tree egresses we have in the Tetons.
    They are definitely not dead feeling. And, while they’re definitely not super playful at low speeds, they’re plenty pivoty, and manageable in tight spaces for me.

That said, oh my god do these skis want to shred. They are constantly encouraging you to ski faster and make fewer turns. They slay crud and chop. On the few small airs/drops I’ve taken them on, they absolutely stomp the landings. These skis make you want to do bad things. They make me forget I’m not at the resort.

Skied these on boot-top pow and float was great. I think they’ll be excellent in deeper snow. They surfed and slarved as much as I wanted. More playful and fun than I expected, esp at speed.

In windslab and suncrust they were more than manageable. Never hooky. I think after I detune the still pretty sharp tips/tails, they should get even better.

On steeper slopes with firm snow, edgehold was great.

I don’t think this would be a great ski for a novice. But I wouldn’t call them hard to ski, either. The 191 length doesn’t seem quite 191. It is definitely longer than my 186s, maybe 189?

I’m contemplating putting inserts in these for the MTNs and some Warden MNCs, and using them at the resort/ a quiver of one traveling ski/boot combo.

TLDR: V-Werks Katanas fucking send. They are just light enough for a recovering weight weenie like me. If you can get a good deal and are looking for a big touring ski that trucks, or a 50/50 resort/touring ski, this could be the one.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I bought a pair of 184s on a clearance sale this summer, mounted them with STH13s, and skied them for the first time today. Skiing a variety of firm, crusty, and variable inbounds conditions, they carved with authority, were lively in tight situations, and drifted with ease, as required. They’re everything I hoped they’d be.

They are probably my favorite ski ever. When in doubt, grab the Katana's and no matter the conditions you'll be good

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Stoked to hear this as I just picked up a used pair of 184. Just what I am hoping from them

Damn. I should have waited til I had a pair of 184s in hand to post this…

Fuck it. This ski rips. Hope you like your new ones. God knows they’re sexy as hell.

With ZGTP this ski let’s me ski basically like it’s my resort setup. I love not having to really even think of adjusting my skiing and trusting the ski. I’d love it to be 300g lighter, my 184’s are about 1950g, but I guess that’s what makes it a real ski. Have FR14’s on mine for the full TGR fan boy setup.

I LOVE the Katana V-Werks. I think this short review totally matched my experience. The only thing I would add is that with a different binding setup they absolutely rip on groomers.

Love my 184s, and getting more accustomed to them inbounds and pushing more. Soooo dreamy in bottomless. Mounted with G3 LT12s and using with Vulcans. I find them really easy to turn in tight trees. I do think I need to mess with the edge angles as they are hooky at speed in heavier pow. Next/dream setup would be with Voyagers and ZGTPs.

I've never understood why the VW K's don't get more lover here. If there was ever a one ski quiver.......

I'm currently rethinking my touring quiver (BMT 109 is the DD) and VW K's in a 191 is the leading contender for that slot. For what it's worth I have held my 186 BMT 94's up next to a pair of 191 K's and the rocker + flex profile is shockingly similar. You could almost say the 94 is a baby K. Both stiffer than the BMT 109's or 122's and can encourage more aggressive skiing. I've done quite a few inbounds laps on the 94's and can say that they are not an inbound ski, but the K, hells yes, and a damn good one too. Also an upper echelon tour ski as well. Other than the price tag and seemingly delicate construction, what's not to love about this ski?

I had 3 pairs of the vw katanas and they are really great skis.

They do everything well

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Why three pairs? Different lengths, bindings or breakage?

Ha, it is about time there was a Vwerks praise thread!

The Vwerks katana has been my main touring ski for the last couple of years. It is an amazing ski, very stable and precise. It requires a bit of driver input, and prefers speed to come alive, but man, what a great ski. It does everything really well. Except for being playful maybe. Not a meadow skipper. A great big mountain touring ski. I used to live in the Alps, where it was amazing. Now in Montana, where ski touring involves at least an hour or two of dense bushwacking, I feel a slightly softer or more nimble ski wouldn't be out of place. But for a technically solid skier that likes to ski the fall line, it is hard to beat.

My pair is on its last legs, almost no edge left. I dread the day it dies, cause i cannot afford a new one at retail. What are decent alternatives? I've been thinking of the BC Corvus Freebird, 1st gen zeroG 108, and possibly the new Scott Jeremey Heitz ski? Anything else that comes to mind?

Oh, and mount em forward a cm or two. The mount point is ridiculously far back.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Why three pairs? Different lengths, bindings or breakage?
    Binding issues, and i didn't want to drill new holes.

One was a g3 ion, the other one a mtn.
    Both bindings had weakened toe springs and i didn't trust them anymore

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

I’m still discovering what these things can do. Started the day billy goating around in tight trees looking for remnant pow, then trenching grommers and working on technique with my wife, and finished playing about on cruddy bump lines. I didn’t find any limitations. I’d expected the high end performance, but am amazed how easy they are to navigate tight/slow/awkward situations. Can’t wait to bring them out on real powder day.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post

Not a meadow skipper. A great big mountain touring ski. I used to live in the Alps, where it was amazing. I feel a slightly softer or more nimble ski wouldn't be out of place. But for a technically solid skier that likes to ski the fall line, it is hard to beat.

So I’m (5’8”, 175lb) a lifelong skier and pretty solid technique, but never raced, definitely “powerful” is not how’d anyone would describe my style. Anyway, this has been my only fat ski (up till just getting BMT 122s, which are obv sitting out until mon frer High Pressure moves out), and I’ve found it to be incredibly easy to turn in tight trees coming out at the bottom and have done plenty of meadow skipping and am so happy on them. I keep telling people they (184s) can handle like a 177 at low speeds. *and* stable at speed (but definitely not a metal ski). Actually moved them from +1 to on the line when I moved from Kingpins to Ion LTs. I’m also now a convert to full rocker in deeper pow, so flowy in deep/bottomless.

Anyway, we can totally agree these are fantastic to ski and I don’t know how I’m going to afford a new pair. Ski gods smiled on me when I purchased them online as a used demo then a shop snafu resulted in me receiving these freshly new w/ kingpins for $950.

Last edited by dub_xion; 01-25-2022 at 08:29 AM.

My wife has the 176 BMT 94, 109 and 122 that I will steal and ski on occasion. Always enjoy them.

can anyone compare the v werks katana to these skis , obviously the109/122 being the most direct comparison.

thinking about re working my bigger ski quiver (currently 185 black crows navis and 187 praxis protest). only for touring

I love my 184 V-Werks Katana as my dedicated touring rig.....it really handles any condition, well. I did move my mount point +2.0cm after skiing them at recommended. -13.75cm was just so far back.

LOL....I just echoed everything he just said......

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post

The Vwerks katana has been my main touring ski for the last couple of years. It is an amazing ski, very stable and precise. It requires a bit of driver input, and prefers speed to come alive, but man, what a great ski. It does everything really well. Except for being playful maybe. Not a meadow skipper. A great big mountain touring ski. I used to live in the Alps, where it was amazing. Now in Montana, where ski touring involves at least an hour or two of dense bushwacking, I feel a slightly softer or more nimble ski wouldn't be out of place. But for a technically solid skier that likes to ski the fall line, it is hard to beat.

My pair is on its last legs, almost no edge left. I dread the day it dies, cause i cannot afford a new one at retail. What are decent alternatives? I've been thinking of the BC Corvus Freebird, 1st gen zeroG 108, and possibly the new Scott Jeremey Heitz ski? Anything else that comes to mind?

Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    My wife has the 176 BMT 94, 109 and 122 that I will steal and ski on occasion. Always enjoy them.

can anyone compare the v werks katana to these skis , obviously the109/122 being the most direct comparison.

thinking about re working my bigger ski quiver (currently 185 black crows navis and 187 praxis protest). only for touring
    Only got out on some 176 109s once on a short run, but they are totally different beasts from 184 VW Katanas, from my experience and what I’ve read. I didn’t like the 109s but was on Alpinists and Lupo Airs and was way too upright. I’d say 109 would be better as a dedicated bc ski, Katana better 50/50 unless you just like a bigger ski for bc. From what I’ve heard 109s don’t do so great in variable, but people love them for powder/soft snow. Haven’t skied the 122s yet. If I were doing it again with Katanas as dedicated bc ski I’d get the 177s with either Alpinists or Voyagers. 175-180 is my personal bc ski length sweet spot though.

Found a deal (CAN$200) on a pair of used 184’s, that I’m going to mount for touring. I have moments when I’m convinced I shouldn’t be skiing on anything but these Katanas.

Has anyone who has skied these, also skied the modern low camber triple radius sidecut k108 and could do a comparison?
    Last edited by Shorty_J; 02-08-2022 at 07:34 PM.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Removed double post.
    Last edited by Shorty_J; 02-08-2022 at 07:24 PM.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

New for $600 from Tahoe Sports Hub.

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    New for $600 from Tahoe Sports Hub.
    Confirmed, just picked up the last 177. Shipping was $50, but they charged sales tax even though it was getting shipped out of state. Thanks for the heads up! Perfect b/c ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Has anyone who has skied these, also skied the modern low camber triple radius sidecut k108 and could do a comparison?
    I haven't skied them but now have both, and doubt there's any similarity. KVW has quite a bit of full rocker and is much lighter, vs the heavy K108 with camber and some tip/tail rocker. Other than width and traditional mount, they're completely different skis. Mounted KVW with Duke PT12, will probably put Pivot 15 or Attack13 on K108.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    I haven't skied them but now have both, and doubt there's any similarity. KVW has quite a bit of full rocker and is much lighter, vs the heavy K108 with camber and some tip/tail rocker. Other than width and traditional mount, they're completely different skis. Mounted KVW with Duke PT12, will probably put Pivot 15 or Attack13 on K108.

I am jealous.