Cheap Solutions for Toasty Toes?

I don't normally get cold feet but I'm doing an AIARE1 course on Mount Washington (NH) this weekend and want to be prepared in case it gets colder than the predicted temps (which are near 0*).

I waited too long to ship so hoping something like ActionHeat products are decent since I can get them at my local Dick's Sporting Goods. Anything else out there that I should be looking for? These may only be for this one-time, 2-day use so not looking to buy Lenz (which I can get at my local bootfitter shop). May even go uber-cheap and get the AA solution since, like I said, these may be one and done.

Thnx in advance Mags!

When I did my AIARE1 course at Mt. Washington a few years ago it was unbelievably cold. We did 2 full days of field work but the first field day didn't involve any skiing. It was a day of digging pits, practicing using the beacon, shoveling techniques, etc. I wore really heavy duty Sorel winter boots for the non ski day and my feet were very happy. Maybe see if you can get away with non-ski boots for some of it. Cozy, warm Sorels were so nice to have that day.

The day we did on Tuck's I was in ski boots and my feet weren't happy. I would've loved to have some heated socks but I got by with chemical toe warmers and dry sock change halfway through the day. I bet even cheapo heated socks at Dicks would be great for just a day or two.

Good luck and have fun. I had only skied Tuck's in the spring prior to that and holy fuck was it cold up there.

chemical toe warmers & boot gloves were alwasy warm enough when colder than -20 C IME

they are also good to stick in the back/ top of you gloves

just get the toe warmers with a sticky back

forget the hand warmers
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Clean feet, clean socks, and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper in your socks/on your toes.

as already pointed out, chemical toe warmers will be your best cheap one-time solution.
    some socks with wool like lebents would also help. the fully synthetic thin performance ones are cold once wet.
    like Hank said, wear non-ski boots when you can and switch out your socks for clean ones halfway through the day

otherwise heated socks, neoprene overboots or vapor barrier socks would be the more expensive options.

A layer of turkey foil under your footbed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Clean feet, clean socks, and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper in your socks/on your toes.
    Couldn’t decide whether you were f’ing with us or not, so had to google it. Apparently this is actually a thing:

https://thepracticalherbalist.com/he...our-feet-warm/

Seems like something you’d want to test ahead of time.

Also, thick(er) socks if you have the space in your boots. If you don’t have the space then you’ll just end up constricting blood flow and getting colder feet. (Of course everyone here is wearing plug boots, so probably doesn’t apply…)

Cheap Solutions for Toasty Toes?

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    When I did my AIARE1 course at Mt. Washington a few years ago it was unbelievably cold.
    Same. Holy fuck was it cold, -15F at Pinkham Notch IIRC. EDIT: went back to my notes and it was -27 on the drive.

I got Boot Gloves and my toes were still really cold when we weren’t moving, but I think it would have been worse without them. If I had to do it again I’d try to find some heated insoles. Sport Thoma in North Conway carried the Dryguy Boot Glove then.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1642542320.918715.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	300.0 KB 
ID:	401788
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 01-24-2022 at 06:56 AM.

If you can fit a chemical toe warmer on top of your toes, definitely do that. I generally open them and toss them into the liner while driving so they're warmed up. You can wrap some tin foil on the outside of the liner around the toes to lock in a little more heat - we used to do that in cycling shoes in the winter in New England.

Vapor barrier? Even a plastic baggie?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

On the chemical heat packs...my boots have a really low instep. Love them because my feet don't move but I have zero room for chemical toe warmers. Have a bunch for inside my mittens.

I wear merino wool socks already. Will take an extra pair for sure.

On boot gloves...I used those when I had plug boots a decade+ ago. They only work if you put them on when the boot is warm. Otherwise, they just keep the cold in.

I have an online session with the leader of the course tomorrow night. If we're just going to hang around Pinkham Notch on Day 1, I'll buy a pair of good winter boots...been looking for a good excuse to get some.

Thanks all, the community always delivers for me.

Cayenne on the toes is real, acts as a vaso-dialator, but don’t overdo it. Also the plastic bag vapor barrier, supermarket vegetable bags from the tear off rolls work well and are free. Thermos of hot tea to keep the core temp up and pumping blood to the extremities. One stop shopping at the local supermarket.

Also make sure your legs stay warm. You won't be able to keep your feet warm if the blood getting to them cools off too much on the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Vapor barrier? Even a plastic baggie?
    Like milk bags? (IYKYK)

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web15s/m...en-tepap-socks

I have a set but haven't used them yet. Its just not cold here (North Idaho) like it is in New England. The quality of construction is very high.

Bring a thermos with your favorite hot beverage. If you are cold best to warm from inside out.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    On boot gloves...I used those when I had plug boots a decade+ ago. They only work if you put them on when the boot is warm. Otherwise, they just keep the cold in.
    My Avy 1 with Synott briefed and booted up in the visitor center at Pinkham. Not sure what’s going on these days with the public health situation. Good luck and stay warm!

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    My Avy 1 with Synott briefed and booted up in the visitor center at Pinkham. Not sure what’s going on these days with the public health situation. Good luck and stay warm!
    We're doing ours with Marc Chauvin. Everything is outside at his car. My brother knows Synott and thinks very highly of him.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    We're doing ours with Marc Chauvin. Everything is outside at his car. My brother knows Synott and thinks very highly of him.
    Too bad they aren't using the visitor center these days, was going to suggest you throw your boots on a boot heater during the morning discussion so they at least start out hot.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk