Screw Quest (Binding mod)

After identifying insufficient ramp angle as the root cause of a misbehaving ski/binding combo, I've embarked upon a project of modifying a Marker Alpinist by adding HDPE spacers to the heels to regain at least some ramp angle (+5mm) to get it closer in line with...well, almost every other tech binding:

https://www.wildsnow.com/10733/get-u...for-your-ramp/

After a long discussion with my shop tech, we agreed that longer screws were obviously necessary, but that helicoil placement would be ideal to account for any unforseen increased torque/leverage.

I know I'm looking for bits that adhere to the standard ISO 6005:2019 but no hardware outfit, Tacoma Screw included, seems to have anything equivalent. I presented them with a sample helicoil, and they came back with an M6 machine screw. Typically I think of helicoils as accommodating standard binding screws and the threads on these machine screws, while easy to engage, make me a little nervous given how fine they are.

Question: For those running helicoils, what screws did you use, and where the heck did you get them?

Screw Quest (Binding mod)

You’re over thinking it.
    Add a 5mm riser, swap out screws for +5mm longer screws. Go ski.
    If you’re really concerned, epoxy in the heel screws.
    If your ski tech can’t figure this out, let alone source proper ski helicoils and screws, then you should find a new ski tech.
    Does he the have the Heli-coil tools? Is this something he does often and is proficient in installing them? These are the questions I would ask before unnecessary drilling and material is removed from your ski.

If you want to go with binding freedom (which honestly I can’t see any downside vs helicoil) I have all the tools to do the install if you’ll be through PDX anytime soon (and have mounted many skis with BF). You can likely email binding freedom and source the correct machine screws. if you need the heads ground, binding freedom does that.

In terms of screw specific questions - its pretty hard to find (at least for me) properly sized screws for the bindings that you're running. So it simpler to spec a standard M5 screw and run an insert. That way you can order/cut the fasteners to length. I typically use a torx drive blue zinc plated fastener, as they gual/are less malleable than SS screws - and still provide ample corrosion resistance.

Can also assist with a BF/QK install if you wanted to go that route. Based in Seattle like yourself
    Could also experiment with some various 3D printed shims between your bindings to figure out optimal ramp angle.

TBH - I'd be pretty stoked to work on this with you.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

This is why I scavenge screws off dumpster skis and bindings - so that I have a bag full of all sorts of lengths when adding shims. I would just use normal binding screws but you'll have to figure out your length and order some off the web.

That said, inserts are pretty easy but overkill if you're not planning on pulling them on and off. Often you can get the right length screws but not always. I just made a bunch of 14mm screws for Dynafit Superlite Toes on 4mm shims which required BOTH turning the head down to a smaller diameter on my lathe and then shortening them from 16mm to 14mm on the lathe. Not hard, but not something everyone can do easily.

The torque/leverage thing just isn't an issue. Heels don't commonly rip out of skis (toes maybe) and you'll still have lower heel pins than a lot of tech bindings i.e. Plum Guide or Dynafit ST/FT Radical.

Damn, you guys are too much! Why this place is the best. I ended up getting tipped off to Tögnar, which has basically everything you could ever want in alternative binding hardware, repair, etc. I couldn't decide helicoil vs BF without inspecting the goods so I ordered sets of both. Samski, my schedule is absolutely F'd but weather pattern may have me headed down through your neck of the woods late next week I'll shoot you a text if I end up headed in your direction. Conroy, do you have a 3D printer and HDPE stock? I've never worked with one but the idea of adding a little taper does sound slightly appealing. My current source is a hapless cutting board I sourced from Amazon and took a jigsaw to. Very sophisticated.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Conroy, do you have a 3D printer and HDPE stock?
    Negative - I've got, PETG, ABS, and PC.

Since this is just a shim, and mostly in compression I think any of those materials would work.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

I wouldn't over think the cutting board, you don't really need an angle on the shim with pin bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I wouldn't over think the cutting board, you don't really need an angle on the shim with pin bindings.
    Speaking of overthinking, just add the 5mm shim, and just use +5mm longer screws.