DPX2 vs Mara Pro

I've been running a Manitou Mezzer Pro and Mara Pro on my v1 Hightower. I've loved both the shock and the fork and feel that they have performed *really* well. I'm moving the majority of my parts to an Esker Rowl which runs a slightly longer shock - 210x55 vs the 200x55 that I have on there. Manitou offered to both convert it to 210x55 and to tune it for the Rowl at no charge (unless they find something that is damaged). I really like this idea as I've really liked every interaction with the Hayes group - I think they build great products and support their customers really well. Cost for the Mara Pro rebuild is around $160. I am going to have to rebuild the DPX2 anyway if I stay with that and cost is similar. The real increase in cost is that I'll now have to find another shock for the Hightower so I can sell it.

I have no real world experience with the DPX2 but I really like the Mara Pro. Can anybody compare contrast between the two?

Is there any way to decrease the eye to eye on the DPX2 (from 210 to 200) for the v1 Hightower and installed on that frame? Can you limit the stroke (from 55 to 52) like I can with the Mara Pro?

Seth

Went from DPX2 to MaraPro on my Occam. The improvement was shocking. I was never able to get the DPX2 to behave properly, it was always a compromise between support and sensitivity. I spent a fair amount of time tweaking it and was reasonably pleased with it until I got the Mara and realized what I had been missing. First ride on the Mara I was bouncing around trying to get a feel for the shock and not really focusing on speed yet PRed everything I rode with out-of-the-box settings. Now that the shock is dialed you couldn't pay me to get back on a DPX2. I run a fairly high pressure so it's really supportive yet the pressure is still way lower than in the DPX2 so sensitivity is excellent. With the Fox unit if I wanted traction I had to run low enough pressure that I'd get angry-sounding bottom-outs pretty frequently, even with max volume spacers in there. With the Mara I still use full travel but I've never felt it. I followed a couple of badass buddies down Flying Monkey last fall, they were both on Enduros and I felt quite underbiked at the start with 140mm in the rear. By lap 3 I had forgotten all about it and was smashing through all the features, the shock handled everything like a champ with just a couple cliks of extra HSC to keep it from exploding through the bottom out bumper.

As far as I know you can reduce stroke on most shocks but e2e length is fixed.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Thanks Boissal. I had convinced myself of this path and installed the MP to check frame clearance of the piggyback. The good news is that the piggyback is just fine. The bad news is that the shock mount and the top cap appear to be incompatible. :-/

I'll reach out to both Esker and Manitou and see if they have any ideas. If not, looks like I'm stuck with the DPX2.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I’ll hit you back via email tomorrow on the shock questions.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    I’ll hit you back via email tomorrow on the shock questions.
    Thanks! If you have any ideas on this one I'm all ears.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk