Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Where are you located? I've got some Salomon GS skis I'm going to sell shortly. Old, easy to ski, not as stiff as the other GS skis I have (so that's why I'm getting rid of them), cheap ($40). 186cm IIRC - Will have to doublecheck. I'm in Reno.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

stance 90 is my go-to up in tahoe. it's fun during ice ages and soft spring snow.
    I almost got some declivity 92 Ti's, but they were all sold out.
    people seem to like the brahmas and mantras.

i've demo'd the stockli 95s and they were fucking awesome. might be able to find a pair on cheap at a demo sale somewhere. I know the demo center at palisades tahoe has a couple for like $799 with binders.
    can't go wrong with the kastle under 100mm either, but again pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Where are you located? I've got some Salomon GS skis I'm going to sell shortly. Old, easy to ski, not as stiff as the other GS skis I have (so that's why I'm getting rid of them), cheap ($40). 186cm IIRC - Will have to doublecheck. I'm in Reno.
    Deets on the Salomon GS’s?

Help me pick a firm snow ski

If I was still skiing Mammoth regularly, I’d want my “firm snow ski” to have metal. Don’t get a race ski if you are concerned about a “lack of skills” since those won’t help. Grab a Head Monster, Stockli, Volkl Mantra variant, or Kastle. Something right around a 20-m radius might really surprise you.

Or go get a cheap pair of Blizzard Cochise with the blue topsheets with carbon tips and tails. They have like. 27-ish turn radius in the 185 and will kick your ass if you get lazy. They’ll haul ass, too.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Marshal Olsen’s new 87 sounds like a winner to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    .5 and 3. Sharp tip to tail. Detune to your liking, or don’t…. To keep that grip, touch up those edges after 5-6 days of skiing. Hard snow like you describe will dull them quicker than one thinks.
    Thanks mang

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Marshal Olsen’s new 87 sounds like a winner to me.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Comes in 182 length and low-mid 20m sidecut

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Deets on the Salomon GS’s?
    185cm. Skinny waist - dimensions not printed on the skis, but says radius of 21m or greater. These came with metal riser plates that I removed because they rattled and had a lot of slop - the rubber pads between the plates and skis had shrunk over time. I still have the plates and mounting hardware if you want to try using them. Remounted with Axe risers and stuck on some 12-DIN Salomon bindings I had.

Edges are good. Bases have been well used, several repairs - took a pic of the worst ones.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    If I was still skiing Mammoth regularly, I’d want my “firm snow ski” to have metal. Don’t get a race ski if you are concerned about a “lack of skills” since those won’t help. Grab a Head Monster, Stockli, Volkl Mantra variant, or Kastle. Something right around a 20-m radius might really surprise you.

Or go get a cheap pair of Blizzard Cochise with the blue topsheets with carbon tips and tails. They have like. 27-ish turn radius in the 185 and will kick your ass if you get lazy. They’ll haul ass, too.
    Definitely want metal, damp - those recs are all kind of where I'm heading right now. But I am definitely missing something about the ~20m radius skis and may need to just try a few more. All the models I'm looking at seem to be mid-20m+ radius.

I've preferred longer radius skis as smaller radius skis tend to feel a little more locked in than I like. Is it likely just a tune preference thing?

185cm. Skinny waist - dimensions not printed on the skis, but says radius of 21m or greater. These came with metal riser plates that I removed because they rattled and had a lot of slop - the rubber pads between the plates and skis had shrunk over time. I still have the plates and mounting hardware if you want to try using them. Remounted with Axe risers and stuck on some 12-DIN Salomon bindings I had.

Edges are good. Bases have been well used, several repairs - took a pic of the worst ones.
    Thanks. Little older than I’m willing to consider, but not surprised given the offer price of $40

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

Comes in 182 length and low-mid 20m sidecut
    Thirded. Based entirely on expectations, not experience, however.

Plus the price point is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Thirded. Based entirely on expectations, not experience, however.

Plus the price point is legit.
    Yeah, forgot about that project. Support Marsh and hop on that dealio. The race series sounds legit!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Yeah, forgot about that project. Support Marsh and hop on that dealio. The race series sounds legit!
    That does seem like it could be a good fit for OP (or even for me). Was thinking earlier why couldn’t a Kendo or Brahma just have bigger radius. That may be it.

Have read good things about Blossom race skis, but haven’t personally skied them (or any recent race ski)

Chup, I'm interested if you - or any other mags - are traveling from Reno to Whistler. Seems doubtful but wanted to put it out there.

Separately, does anyone have any thoughts on the Rossi Experience 88 Basalt? Found a used pair on sale in Whistler. Not too picky, just looking for something that carves well, given the lack of snow and the fact that I'm skiing basically every day. Might as well have something to carve up the groomed when there's no pow. They're from 2016 but have only been used a few times. Here's a generic page about them: https://www.freeride.com/gear/skis/r...e-88-bslt.html

Generic thought, without getting into what an E88 does and does not do well, because I'm not good enough to really know, its a competent ski that if I could get a deal on, I would want to have. Without a deal, (well, personally I couldn't afford it anyway but if I could) I think there are some "spicier" or more specialized options. But I had the OG E88s and they were totally nice, competent, well built skis. Mine were just too short in the end or I'd prolly still have them. Shoulda kept them anyway. Some Japanese guy bought them from me. Like an actual Japanese guy, who was in from Japan to ski for a month and buying his kit on CL. Anyway, I digress... IIRC they did like to carve and didn't need loads of input to do so.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

No plans for a Canada trip this winter, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Generic thought, without getting into what an E88 does and does not do well, because I'm not good enough to really know, its a competent ski that if I could get a deal on, I would want to have. Without a deal, (well, personally I couldn't afford it anyway but if I could) I think there are some "spicier" or more specialized options. But I had the OG E88s and they were totally nice, competent, well built skis. Mine were just too short in the end or I'd prolly still have them. Shoulda kept them anyway. Some Japanese guy bought them from me. Like an actual Japanese guy, who was in from Japan to ski for a month and buying his kit on CL. Anyway, I digress... IIRC they did like to carve and didn't need loads of input to do so.
    I have 190 E100s. I'm a bigger dude. These skis rip. Very underrated. They are my hard snow skis. Couple things they are not good at-ice (I bet the 88 would be great), deeper soft snow either fresh or cut up-they will find the bottom of whatever you're on. The tail is stiff and they have a long effective edge. You can ski up front and they will hold you in a turn. You can load the tail and pop out of it or unweight and roll. You won't really skid or pivot out of anything with them.

I think they're fun. Not sure why they are not mentioned more-probably the lame name and graphics. Rossi isn't marketing these to the type of folks posting on TGR too. 140-100-130, 19ish radius that you can stretch out or keep short, and metal laminate with some backbone. I've skied some of the other recs in this thread and unless you're looking for a loose tail, E100s, and E88s I'm guessing will keep up with any of them.

Quading the r87 Mr Olson is pushing. Seriously considering it.

Sent fra min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk

No plans for a Canada trip this winter, sorry.
    No worries, Chup. There’s also a chance I’m Reno/Truckee sooner rather than later, so I’ll ping you if I’m in town to see if you still have them.

Thanks Jong L and Conundrum. I found a pair used on FB Marketplace but they were a little more than I wanted to spend, so I think I missed the boat. Regardless, good to know for next time.

And if I can wait for Marshal’s 87 in the fall, I definitely might. Probably shouldn’t though.

If all y’all could kindly get your orders in for the R87 that would be much appreciated. Just placed mine and want to make sure it gets produced!

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Quading the r87 Mr Olson is pushing. Seriously considering it.

Sent fra min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk
    do it!

I also have the WC 184 and love the longer radius, haven't had a problem with the shorter radius on the Mantra. Check out the blister review - I usually buy skis in the mid 180s but trusted Blister and bought the Mantra in a 177 and have loved it for those firmer days because it can still handle stashes very well.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Thanks Jong L and Conundrum. I found a pair used on FB Marketplace but they were a little more than I wanted to spend, so I think I missed the boat. Regardless, good to know for next time.
    A follow up to Rossi Experience 88 Basalts (generic info page), since I didn't pull the trigger last week. The skis are still up for sale for $350 Canadian ($275 US). 5-6 years old, used sounds like less than 10 times.

I'm an advanced-expert skier, 6'2, ~195 pounds; usually prefer off piste but now wanting to carve when there's no new snow. Not a racer but have been leaning over my DDs (Enforcer 104 Frees) and want a bit more of that. Ski would be used for Whistler this season and then West coast groomers (CA, CO, WA).

Re: Conundrum, thanks for the thoughts. No, I don't think I'm looking for a loose tail. I've felt on my Enforcers that I wanted to continue the carve but they just let me go (which I understand why...but I'm currently doing my best trying to use them as carving skis).

1 - without being too nit picky, these seem like a good choice for what I'm looking for, right? I think a short turning radius (~17) will be fun, and I'm not trying to go 70mph. 188 seems like a reasonable length and I don't think 88cm is too wide, though maybe closer to 78 would be better. (I haven't been on a resort on a ski under 99 in forever).

2 - what is a reasonable price? I was thinking of offering $250 Canadian. Thoughts?

Anything else I should be considering? I don't think I want to buy a brand new set of carving/groomer skis - but do want something of reasonable quality - so this seems like a good option. Curious to hear from the collective.
    Last edited by fool; 01-26-2022 at 06:38 PM.

That's a great ski for what you're looking for. And a good length for your size. I can't speak to the price but it sounds reasonable.

I've had those skis and they're a great board for West Coast groomers as well as off piste. Not a super fast ski but they hold their own for good carving and upper end speed. They'd be a good choice.