Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I went around in circles on touring skis for years. Too fat, too skinny, not enough float, not enough edge hold, too heavy, too light, etc.

Landed on the deathwish tour and haven't looked back. Love that ski. Floaty enough that I'm perfectly happy in deep snow, but still totally comfortable on bulletproof windboard. Light enough that I don't mind toting them uphill, but there's enough meat to them that they're not terrifying in variable conditions.

If I was doing a ton of spring touring I'd add something skinnier to the quiver.

Praxis Yeti - 96mm waist. They crush it.
    Praxis BC - 106mm waist, a fatter Yeti (or is the Yeti a skinnier BC?). I haven't skied them but I own an unmounted pair.
    Praxis GPO - the greatest ski I've ever owned. Crush it for midwinter touring in variable conditions.

I wouldn't worry much about hole conflicts, the skis are very solidly built if you can sneak in close by to the existing holes you'll be fine in my experience. If you're a more traditional skier (I am) I find the mount points too progressive by about 1.5-2cm on my large BSL (337 touring, 350 alpine).

i know they're expensive but i absolutely love my kastle TX98 with MTN bindings.
    probably spend 90% of my time in the Sierra on those with no complaints, they can handle it all.
    if you want more width and some extra weight, Corvus FB or deathwish tour would be top of my list.

OP - I’d avoid the Backland 107 as it really doesn’t resemble any of the shapes of the skis you have liked in the past. More so, it seems similar to the 0G 95 which you didn’t get along with.

Just find something similar in shape to one of the skis you’ve liked and you’ll probably be happy. This has me thinking the Vision 108 or I’d throw in the Armada Tracer 108 in the mix too. The Volkl Blaze could be another interesting option that may have a little more backbone due to the slightly increased weight.

All that aside, I think the DWT is a great quiver of one for the west coast, but it is fairly different than the skis you’ve listed as liking which isn’t a bad thing but just something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamski View Post
    Definitely crossed my mind - reviews aren’t exactly common yet. One caveat being from a friend at a shop stocking Nordica who claims the unlimited feels a bit pedestrian compared to his regular 104’s. He’s the only guy I know who’s actually been on ‘em.

That said, for shape and versatility they’d be tough to beat.
    Hmmm. We seem to like all the same skis, and I have no complaints about the Zero G 105 (on my second pair).

ZeroG 105 has a nice friendly flex, and is lighter and more nimble than my zeroG 108s…it’s fine, but really I came here to rave about the 2022 dynafit beast 108. My 188s came in at 1650 g, and I’ve yet to find a 1600 g ski that is as versatile in the backcountry. Unlike the older version, there’s (mild) camber most of the length with an early rise tip. The rocker and flex enable it to ski 3 ft deep pow days as well as my 115 waist skis (eg praxis GPO) but the torsional stiffness and damping work well on the firm stuff. Although the design moved away from the looser more jibby previous version, they somehow managed to keep it rotatable when you need to get it sideways to dump speed in a narrow section.

Like many here, my resort skis tend to be metal lam burly skis, and the trade off in going to a touring ski is always an adventure in bullshit marketing. I’ve skied various DPS, Voile, G3, Blizzards, Black Crows etc etc in this category and this dynafit seems to offer the best combo of reasonable weight and ski performance.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Piggybacking on frorider, the beast replacement (I think) Free 107 is also interesting - I think it's low-ish cambered vs flat Beast 108, and at a similar tour friendly weight (~1600 for the 181). 0G 105 also pretty safe and at a real good weight.
    The DWT is lighter than I thought (just looked it up) and I'm sure skis great based on reviews, but remember you'll also be dragging more skin surface area on the ups

Been on quite a few skis that you've either been on or are interested in.

If you like the Kye 110, the Intention 110 in camber is the successor to that ski. From the WNDR guy I talked to on the phone: "Lightened core, like the 2nd gen kye/uptrack col, but without the dumbed down profiles that you saw on that ski."

So that might be your safest option, in terms of going with what you know.

The vision 108 is a very, very good ski. great floatation in new snow, and it can really maintain composure through variable. It doesnt "hook" as much as stuff from the sick day series: SD104 & Tourist, so its still pretty surfy but can lay down a good carve if/when its needed. Also has very supportive tails when landing big airs/flat trannys. My chief complaint about the Vision is the tail profile for skin attachment (which is very nitpicky), standard Pomoca tail clip is constantly coming off of the ski.

While I havent been on the Raven, I've got a pair of 3rd gen hojis, and can understand what you're talking about. However, I feel like you can get used to that feeling. What length Raven were you on?

Also worth considering: K2 Reckoner 102 - 1800g-ish. A Playful Master of none. Havent been on it, but saw a bunch of NWAC forecasters were touring on that ski last year.

Lastly Binders: Raider/Voyager is a great option. I've also been pretty jazzed with the Zed - so if you're able to get a hookup on G3, that might be a good option.

Additionally, since you were pushing around a kingpin already, might be worthwhile to look at a tecton since that binding ski and tours really well, and has a bunch of additional safety features built into it, while weighing about the same as a Radical 2, and G3 Ion.

Transitions on the Zed and Tecton are also more straightforward than with a ATK.
    Last edited by rfconroy; 01-16-2022 at 12:30 PM.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Managed to get out on a pair of Visions today. Snow in Whis is garbage frozen granular hardpack, softening to corn-like slush down below mid.

They’re a surprisingly fun ski. I wouldn’t call them stout by any stretch, but they’re composed and compliant for their feather weight. Obviously quite nimble from the weight and profile - but damn are they rockered. Seems like they’d be a great ski for anything from low angle dad pow to tight steep trees. I’ve been working towards bigger couloir objectives, do you think these would be reasonable in 45-50 degree situations? The ravens could be pretty skittery on jump turns when your effective edge is 300mm long.

I also managed to get some time on a WNDR Vital 100. Very surprising how planted and natural these felt - not the same fun factor as the line, but great edging. I bet the intentions would be great, but they’re pretty darned heavy in a 185, maybe I’d size down to the 178 and keep the weight at a (sort of) respectable 1850? Seems like a 179 DWT would hit more of the performance notes I’m interested in, potentially.

Sadly no backlands or zero g 105’s up for grabs for demos today. I’ll check again this week. (Funny how much the staff in town love to shit on the Zero G, “oh no you don’t want that, way too chattery”).

Managed to get out on a pair of Visions today. Snow in Whis is garbage frozen granular hardpack, softening to corn-like slush down below mid.

They’re a surprisingly fun ski. I wouldn’t call them stout by any stretch, but they’re composed and compliant for their feather weight. Obviously quite nimble from the weight and profile - but damn are they rockered. Seems like they’d be a great ski for anything from low angle dad pow to tight steep trees. I’ve been working towards bigger couloir objectives, do you think these would be reasonable in 45-50 degree situations? The ravens could be pretty skittery on jump turns when your effective edge is 300mm long.

I also managed to get some time on a WNDR Vital 100. Very surprising how planted and natural these felt - not the same fun factor as the line, but great edging. I bet the intentions would be great, but they’re pretty darned heavy in a 185, maybe I’d size down to the 178 and keep the weight at a (sort of) respectable 1850? Seems like a 179 DWT would hit more of the performance notes I’m interested in, potentially.

Sadly no backlands or zero g 105’s up for grabs for demos today. I’ll check again this week. (Funny how much the staff in town love to shit on the Zero G, “oh no you don’t want that, way too chattery”).
    I've had reverse camber Vital in 190 and it came pretty heavy at almost 2100g. 2097 on each ski. Impressive precision.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

They weigh less, and have a similar mount point to the raven, so for jump turns it should be similar. Having both the Hoji and the Vision 108 - I think the Vision is a more versatile ski, as it has similar float, similar stability at speed (at least on soft snow), and more composure on firmer snow.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Just an update.

Demod a bunch of skis on the list. None were bad. Spoke with some touring buddies and did some internet research, and I wound up picking up a pair of DWTs with Voyagers.

I’m going to be running this as a one ski quiver - and my god does this ski seem to have a fandom in that role. It might not be the ultimate best fit ski for my style, but it sounds fun. (And damn it, skiing is supposed to be fun)

Thanks for all the help folks.

Keep us posted! What size did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Chatted with some folks - I ski the Raven in a 184 and found them a little bit finnicky for negotiating tighter spots. I rarely pin it in the BC either. (A wider DWT also means better float than a tapered Raven).

I went back and forth between the 184 and 179 DWT. My 6’ friend finds the 184 dialed for his touring needs, so I opted for the 179 at 5’ 9”. If this was my resort ski I’d pick the 184.

Bamski how did you get on with the DWT? Am looking for a ski for Whistler side-country and Vision 108 and DWT are on the list.

(wopsy, forgot to read page 2 before replying)

yeah, I did not get along with the Ravens for some of the same reasons. Awesome in soft snow, did not fit my skiing elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    matched my delta angles of my alpine bindings to my kingpins. I ski marker jesters and found that a 2-3mm shim under the heel changed everything about the feel of the binding. I’m able to engage the tips and I don’t feel like I’m fighting to get forward. I had zero ability to start a decent turn with the shovel, felt like I was starting the turns right in front of the toe piece. It sucked. And felt like surfing marbles even on hero snow.
    Very good advice. I just sold both of my Tectons as I simply could not be bothered to put a 2-3mm shim underneath the heels, and could not ski them for the life of me without after having grown used to Castified Pivots.

I agree that Vision108s are great. They ski way better than their (lack of) weight and flex pattern would indicate. I do think that they are perhaps better for a stronger skier with a centered stance, as the tips/tails can be overpowered pretty easily. Their edge hold is great as is their ability to float. Their shape (and weight) does not yield magical results when trying to smash through stuff, but are super fun for dynamic and slashy skiing. I am amazad that the Line athletes are able to ski them as hard as they are (all of the Visions), they must have their center of gravity in their boot soles or something - truly impressive.

My favorite skis in this segment is 1) the BMT109 (soooo good) and 2) ON3P BG108tour 184s. BMTs are better on harder snow, but both are ridiculously fun to ski in soft snow - or any snow that you'll find while touring. Woodsman108tours are great too, and I suspect the current woodsman110tour is a very good ski too (wood110 is my daily driver). But again, other than than the price BMTs are freaking magical.