Shelf life of new skins?

Does anyone know the typical shelf life of a new in box pair of skins? At what age would you want to reglue?

I found nothing about this on the forums and the only thing online was a question posed to REI (https://www.rei.com/conversations/sn...ife/td-p/27323). The Henkel cyanoacrylates I am familiar with have a 36-48 month shelf life after the date of manufacture. A lot of the 3M PSAs I've used are 24 months. I read that some skin manufacturers are using a sort of hot melt. But even 3M 3974, a typical hot melt PSA, has a shelf life of only 24 months. Does anyone know what glues are used? I assume most are proprietary. How long do your skins maintain their original tackiness?

no
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Name:  image-product_spam-classic-12oz-420x420.jpeg
Views: 308
Size:  37.5 KB

In my experience, if stored and cared for properly (cool, dry, dark), the wear on the glue with usage is more a factor than age/shelf life.

I have some old G3 skins (>15 years old) that the matching ski's have rotated out of use ... and they are still going strong with the original glue. A pair of skins (pomoca with gold label reglue) from old tech skinny ski's that had a reglue in the late 90's still works well (on my waxless XC skis).

Glue types vary across brands and over time. No idea what sort of chemical formulation and black magic is used.

I've got a pair of BD ascension's that are 12 years old. Not as sticky as new but still working on original glue.

I've found BC Ascension glue lasts 3 months (at most) when I leave them in my south-facing garage for the summer

I opened and trimmed a new set of bd ascensions that had been sitting in my basement for 4 or 5 years. Glue seems fine. Maybe a smidge less sticky than the new-new ones, but no problems with the functionality and I certainly won't be re-gluing any time soon.

Fwiw, the skins were in their original packaging and stored in a cool but not particularly dry place.